Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mrm

Ummm, are you sure you know how numbers work?

Ummm, are you sure you know how written English works? Kiith used 'or' in his statement, not 'and'. The statement is correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So the platform which EA hates with a passion brings not that much less then consoles and that platform does not have second hand games market issue.. Oh you EA...
    That is surprising how much EA got from origin knowing how shot it is. I can only imagine the revenue steam is collecting...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

mrm wrote: »
    Ummm, are you sure you know how written English works? Kiith used 'or' in his statement, not 'and'. The statement is correct!

He was actually right. 360 made more then PC. I just read it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Kiith wrote: »
    Warcraft will probably be the last successful subscription based MMO though. Pretty much every major release on the horizon is going f2p.

Microtransactions are dangerous for people like me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mrm

He was actually right. 360 made more then PC. I just read it wrong.

Its ok, I understood that. Whether you meant it or not your original statement was correct. There was just no need for any glib comment about your comprehension of numbers when the poster showed little comprehension of simple English.

Those figures you posted make for interesting reading. Really not enough of a difference between all three to flame a decent fanboy war. Shame! The f2p model must be really good for EA if they are listening to the 40% who want a non subscription based model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

So the platform which EA hates with a passion brings not that much less then consoles and that platform does not have second hand games market issue.. Oh you EA...
    That is surprising how much EA got from origin knowing how shot it is. I can only imagine the revenue Steam is collecting...

True....but they also put a lot more into the PC market than the consoles such as SW:TOR, the continued Sims 3 expansions and published The Secret World, all of which wont be out on the consoles while the rest of their titles are cross-platform. And while it doesnt have a 2nd hand market, it does have a lower turnover as PC games are cheaper overall and the PC market has higher piracy rates (no...Im not saying consoles dont have piracy, just the PC has more of it).

As for Steams profits...well look at the maths of it. Valve is a $3 billion company that has released around ten games in the last decade, which even if selling at a $50 premium would need to have each sold several dozen million apiece to get that much cash (after retailers cuts and such). And most of their games reduced quickly on Steam so......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

I do actually, thanks for pointing that.

Edited the original.

No worries.
    mrm wrote: »

What? No. Not in the slightest, you have to be fucking with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think you might see a further drop off when Panderia is released. It just doesn't look interesting and I think there's a big enough group of players that won't pick it up and will just drift away from the game.

The Old Republic going free-to-play will pick up a few too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I think you might see a further drop off when Panderia is released. It just doesn't look interesting and I think there's a big enough group of players that won't pick it up and will just drift away from the game.

The Old Republic going free-to-play will pick up a few too.
    Funny enough pandaroa is a wee bit of an topic with the lads now. We all quoted wow at this stage, but now and them we started to talk a bit about it as release date announced.
    No one will buy it if other won't, but if others will buy it then everone will. What really is shocking that none of us know much about it at all! We used to know more about expansions before they out them blizzard it self! :P
    I was my fallowing pandaria at all! Since I heard about pandas, it just turned me away from wow as a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

More collections from Sony, a collection of collections with the 2 God of War collections + God of war 3

God of War Saga; all 5 games, the previously release HD versions of the PS2 and PSP game as well as God of war 3.

InFamous Collections; both games as well as Festival of Blood and "extra missions", all released DLC powers and such is also included.

Priced at $30

pscollection.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

An eye-opening report on
    the condition of the
    BioShock Infinite project has
    revealed that many core
    development staff have quit,
    multiplayer modes have
    been axed entirely, and a
    senior developer at Epic
    Games has joined the studio
    to help finish the delayed
    game.
    Alleged insiders told games
    site Kotaku that the Irrational
    team "has struggled to craft
    a full game that meets the
    promise of its early demos".
    The article claimed that two
    multiplayer modes, which
    had been worked on for
    several months, have been
    axed entirely. It also
    speculates that the BioShock
    successor could ship as a
    single-player title only.
    In other developments:
    It was revealed on
    Thursday that many of
    the core BioShock
    Infinite team no longer
    work at the studio.
    Departures include
    design director Jeff
    McGann, producer Joe
    Faulstick, principal
    systems designer Ken
    Strickland, senior level
    designer Steve Gaynor,
    and systems designer
    Tynan Sylvester, among
    others.
    Director of production at
    Epic Games, Rod
    Fergusson, is rumored to
    have been hired by
    Irrational to help finish
    the project.
    Scott Sinclair, the art
    director on the first
    BioShock, has returned to
    Irrational to wrap up
    development on Infinite.
    The studio's creative
    director, Ken Levine, has
    called for calm and
    maintains faith that the
    project will ship in
    February 2013.
    Jordan Thomas, who
    works at Irrational's
    sister studio 2K Marin,
    has been brought "on
    loan" to help finish the
    project. He is scheduled
    to return to 2K Marin
    when the project is
    finished.
    Addressing the rumours and
    facts, Levine told Kotaku that
    "in a company of 200 people
    you're going to have
    turnover".
    He confirmed that Tim
    Gerritsen, director of product
    development, and art
    director Nate Wells have
    both left the studio.
    "We never like to see a guy
    like Nate leave because he's
    been here for a long time
    but it's been 13 years and I
    think sometimes people
    want to spread their wings,"
    Levine said.
    Levine also insisted that the
    BioShock core team is still
    intact.
    "As far as the team itself, the
    lead artist, the art director,
    the creative director, the lead
    effects artist, the senior
    sound guy, the lead
    programmer and the lead AI
    programmer from BioShock
    1 are all on BioShock Infinite.
    "I don't think there's a single
    senior BioShock team
    member that isn't here,
    which I think is amazing and
    a testament to their
    commitment to the studio,"
    he said.
    Several insiders claim that
    the BioShock Infinite project
    "lacked focus", with teams
    dedicating months on
    doomed to multiplayer
    projects.
    The Kotaku report reads:
    "Irrational placed a large
    internal emphasis on
    multiplayer. The studio went
    through two potential
    multiplayer modes for
    Infinite, both of which were
    eventually cancelled. We're
    unclear on whether any
    multiplayer modes remain."
    Levine declined to comment
    on these suggestions
    specifically. He added,
    however, that Irrational is
    "experimenting with things,
    and only if they are good
    enough will we put them in
    the game".
    Back in May, publisher Take-
    Two delayed the BioShock
    Infinite release date from
    October to February, 2013.
    The subsequent decision not
    to show Infinite at the E3 in
    June, nor the upcoming
    Gamescom event, sparked
    debate about the state of the
    project.
    "It's always challenging
    when you're trying to make
    a game that does a lot of
    different things," Levine
    said.
    "When you are trying to
    innovate the path is not
    always clear and these
    things take time. But I
    guarantee this: The next
    time we show you guys the
    game the judge will be you,
    not me."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Bioshock: Infinite will be single player only?

****ing brilliant! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Only a rumour from an anonymous source, but it does get me overly excited that a new Fallout could be in the works. From Gamespot:
    If a new rumor proves accurate, Bethesda's next Fallout game will be set in Boston. A Reddit user going by "fallout4boston" claims the unannounced Fallout 4 will be set in the Massachusetts capital city.

This tipster says Bethesda has been "scoping out and researching" the city, and suggests the developer has a "strong connection" to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, a prestigious research university near Boston. The Reddit user "may or may not be an MIT employee," according to the post.

A Bethesda representative told GameSpot, "We don't comment on rumors and speculation."

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Forget Skyrim, I want Fallout Fooooooooooooooooooour!!!!

Hopefully we see characters like this

family-guy-season-2-episode-3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Nice to see a developer speak so candidly about the bull**** that is publisher-enforced / tacked on multiplayer.

Yager: Spec Ops multiplayer was "bullsh**" and "should not exist"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ace Attorney 5 incoming. 3DS. I haven't played on since the second game, but I'd like to see them mix up the formula a bit. Plus:
    a new female partner dressed in yellow clothes.

HOLY ****

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Lets see if Crapcom bother their arse localising it since they refuse to release Miles Edgeworth investigations 2 and Layton vs. Ace Attorney in the West.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Lets see if Crapcom bother their arse localising it since they refuse to release Miles Edgeworth investigations 2 and Layton vs. Ace Attorney in the West.

Surely we'll be getting Layton vs Ace Attorney. I'm hoping Layton's name could get it greenlit for us in the whest. Europe that is not just Galway
    :-P

Following a report by Pocket Gamer that Ace Attorney 5 for the Nintendo 3DS is being released in western territories, we decided to write in to Capcom ourselves, in order to confirm the situation.
    Brian Keltner, PR Manager at
    Capcom confirmed to us:
    “Capcom is planning to
    release Gyakuten Saiban 5
    (Ace Attorney 5) in the
    West. We’ll have more news
    soon.”
    As previously reported, Phoenix Wright will return as the main protagonist in Ace Attorney 5.
    The game takes place on year
    after the events of Apollo Justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

I wonder what direction it'll go, I hope Phoenix is the main character although if its set a year after Apollo its doubtful.

Edit: I should start reading articles before posting. :rolleyes:

Interesting postmortem on the development of Starcraft from Patrick Wyatt, former VP of R&D at Blizzard.

Tough times on the road to Starcraft

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Dragon Age 3: Inquisition has officially been announced for some time in 2013. The developers have said that they've learned from the mistakes they made last time and are working hard to improve what players loved. But this is exactly what they said when they were promoting DA2, so I've little faith in this being any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

gizmo wrote: »
    ****ing Bayonetta 2 on Wii U! :eek:

A game I would have loved to play, on a system I will not buy.

:(

humanji wrote: »
    Dragon Age 3: Inquisition has officially been announced for some time in 2013. The developers have said that they've learned from the mistakes they made last time and are working hard to improve what players loved. But this is exactly what they said when they were promoting DA2, so I've little faith in this being any good.
    You left out one bit of important info, it's being built with Frostbite 2. This could be important not just for the improvements on the graphics side but also for their ability to create a more expansive and detailed world.

On top of this, it also indicates that they're putting more work into the sequel with the move away from the Eclipse/Lycium engine and, presumably, the bulk of the work that had gone into them for DA:O and DA2.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭SilverFox261

humanji wrote: »

DA2 was a huge disappointment but it felt extremely rushed imo. Almost as if they were afraid of losing the momentum of the first and rushed the development. I think there were enough good things in the first game to warrant giving the developers another chance with DA3 though.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement