Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Because they are not competitors.

The PC does not compete with either console.

It kind of does.

And the fact that they are competing also makes no difference.

All that matters is that what is shown is representative of the final product. The game build run on something else is, be it a PC, Xbox, Commodore 64 or Gameboy as long as it's not going to be outrageously different in visuals or gameplay.

Now if sony said it was running on a playstation console then fair enough, but they haven't. Nothing to see here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I have already pointed out in an earlier post that it isn't false advertising but it is incredibly misleading.

The law decides what is misleading. All those TV adverts showing footage on a TV screen that would be impossible to capture with a camera. Fake, but not misleading. All those food adverts with the food coloured in and the steam added using chemicals. Fake but not misleading.

I actually think what Sony has done here is no where near as bad as what some other advertisers get away with. Will Destiny look like it does in the video of Xbox One X footage.... more than likely. I mean Sony showed Crash running at 60 fps and released it at 30. That to me is a bigger deal but it's not an issue, things change before release but what they showed was representative of the final product.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The law decides what is misleading. All those TV adverts showing footage on a TV screen that would be impossible to capture with a camera. Fake, but not misleading. All those food adverts with the food coloured in and the steam added using chemicals. Fake but not misleading.

I actually think what Sony has done here is no where near as bad as what some other advertisers get away with. Will Destiny look like it does in the video of Xbox One X footage.... more than likely. I mean Sony showed Crash running at 60 fps and released it at 30. That to me is a bigger deal but it's not an issue, things change before release but what they showed was representative of the final product.

Bottom line, it's common sense.

It is 7 minutes of Xbox One X gameplay poorly doctored to look like it's PS4 gameplay and uploaded by Playstation with no relevant disclaimer.

How much more misleading can it get.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Bottom line, it's common sense.

It is 7 minutes of Xbox One X gameplay poorly doctored to look like it's PS4 gameplay and uploaded by Playstation with no relevant disclaimer.

How much more misleading can it get.

Not doctored, edited, by EA. And there was a relevant disclaimer. The disclaimer did not need to say it was made on XB1X.

Penn wrote: »
    Not doctored, edited, by EA. And there was a relevant disclaimer. The disclaimer did not need to say it was made on XB1X.

We don't know who did what yet. It was a poor edit indeed. However Playstation gave the thumbs up to upload it.

It did need to say it was either XB1X footage or that it wasn't PS4 footage. It was very sneaky of Playstation to mislead people like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭Evade

Tinfoil hat time.

What if EA intentionally poorly edited the footage to try generate articles about it which would have to include the name of the game?

We don't know who did what yet. It was a poor edit indeed. However Playstation gave the thumbs up to upload it.

It did need to say it was either XB1X footage or that it wasn't PS4 footage. It was very sneaky of Playstation to mislead people like that.

Sony aren't going to edit a video from a dev as that could open them to legal issues. And as I pointed out, the disclaimer and icons for EA, Frostbite engine etc are now the exact same as the official video on the Anthem YouTube channel, which is different to the end of the Xbox video shown at the conference. This shows Sony got the video directly from EA, and EA would not have given Sony a video with Xbox button prompts, nor would Sony have accepted it or changed it themselves. They'd send it back to EA.

Has it been confirmed to be xbox footage? Because more than likely it's from a Dev kit which is basically a PC. The button prompts could just be placeholders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Has it been confirmed to be xbox footage? Because more than likely it's from a Dev kit which is basically a PC. The button prompts could just be placeholders.

It doesn't matter where the footage came from, it's the same old rhetoric from the same old people, my console is better than your console.

The footage has been doctored and it doesn’t really matter who done it, it should not have been altered and passed off as something it's not but this is not the first nor will it be the last. If I wanted to play all my games at their best then I would just play on PC, this ps/xbox stuff is just noise.

It was 100% confirmed by EA, Xbox and Digital Foundry has gameplay running on Xbox One X.

It was no doubt planned to showcase what the hardware can do.

• Advertisement

Doubt it was planned. Sony were handed footage. They used it. They aren't in control of said footage. The XBOX One build is probably the furthest along so they gave them that.

It's not like Sony of old trying to pass off cgi renders as PS3 game play a decade ago. I see nothing wrong with what Sony did here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

FWIW, specs wise, the dev kits are the same as retail kits with just a slightly beefed up GPU and more RAM for debug use.

In any case, as others have said, the footage is early enough that it's not particularly representative of what will even ship so if folk are specifically interested in how Anthem looks, this isn't the footage from which to gauge it accurately.

Doubt it was planned. Sony were handed footage. They used it. They aren't in control of said footage. The XBOX One build is probably the furthest along so they gave them that.

It's not like Sony of old trying to pass off cgi renders as PS3 game play a decade ago. I see nothing wrong with what Sony did here.

Come on. This is actual gameplay footage from the Xbox E3 conference running on Xbox hardware.

Playstation uploaded the footage. EA didn't hold a gun to their head.

Trying to pass off XB1X gameplay as PS4 isn't cool. Without a doubt they are trying mislead people into thinking there is no disparity between the Pro and the One X version of the game.

When the video went live PS4 players on YouTube were celebrating how well the PS4 version looks. Of course that's what Playstation wanted.

Playstation got their hand caught in the cookie jar this time.

It's going to look the exact same on pro and X. There might be resolution differences. And with YouTube algorithms messing things up you wouldn't even notice those difference's.

This seems to me the kind of non issue only 'gamers' could get worked up about.

All that really matters is it representative of the final product. There's no arguing it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

In other, actual news, the Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy sold more in its first week (UK) than Horizon Zero Dawn, making it the biggest single-format launch of the year.

https://twitter.com/Chris_Dring/status/881795583710834689

I imagine Crash Team Racing or a Spyro trilogy is being green-lit as we speak.

Otacon wrote: »
    In other, actual news, the Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy sold more in its first week (UK) than Horizon Zero Dawn, making it the biggest single-format launch of the year.

I take it Zelda doesn't count as single-format due to being on Wii U as well, or do we know how many copies of it were sold only on Switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Otacon wrote: »

https://twitter.com/Chris_Dring/status/881795583710834689

I imagine Crash Team Racing or a Spyro trilogy is being green-lit as we speak.

They better remaster Crash Bash as well if they're going to do CTR. I need both of those in 1080p so desperately.

Penn wrote: »
    I take it Zelda doesn't count as single-format due to being on Wii U as well, or do we know how many copies of it were sold only on Switch?

Zelda I think was fastest selling but pretty sure Horizon way out sold it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,281 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Zelda I think was fastest selling but pretty sure Horizon way out sold it.

I think Battlegrounds has outsold them all? (Overall, not first week sales).

Not sure TBH. The fact that HZD beat BOTW in its first week may indicate that Crash did better initially but I don't know.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-03-06-strong-start-for-nintendo-switch-in-the-uk

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »

There's some weird bull**** that digital sales don't get counted by industry sales trackers because Steam won't release sales figures.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    There's some weird bull**** that digital sales don't get counted by industry sales trackers because Steam won't release sales figures.

Also, is a game considered on sale even if it is in early access?

I'm sure Blue hole would say so with the money they are making

Playstation just pulled the XB1X Anthem gameplay from their YouTube channel.

Tut tut Playstation. Well, that's all the confirmation required. They were definitely up to no good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Playstation just pulled the XB1X Anthem gameplay from their YouTube channel.

Tut tut Playstation. Well, that's all the confirmation required. They were definitely up to no good.

EA give Sony a trailer to put up on their site and youtube channel. EA make a balls of the trailer and Sony gets shít for it. Sony decides to pull the trailer because of the negative publicity.

Definitely up to no good there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,843 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

EA give Sony a trailer to put up on their site and youtube channel. EA make a balls of the trailer and Sony gets shít for it. Sony decides to pull the trailer because of the negative publicity.

Definitely up to no good there.

You've just summed up 3 pages of posts into a few lines :)

Next you'll be telling me OJ is innocent.

EA didn't put a gun to Playstation's head and say upload this Xbox One X gameplay or else.

The video has now has been taken down by Playstation. They were pretty much caught with their hand in the cookie jar this time.

Hey, you might see Xbox or some other platform in the future try some BS. Who knows but let's call a spade a spade. Let's just acknowledge this was some shady ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

If the gloves don't fit, you must acquit...

• Advertisement

Well, that's all the confirmation required.

Please never do jury duty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement