Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I've never heard of anyone using a TV(40' and above) to play their PC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

RasTa wrote: »

Now you have, I did for about 9 months after I built mine - but the TV never gets any use anymore as all TV and PC stuff (it doubles as a HTPC) runs through the projector! I've also made two budget ones for the girlfriend and the sister/her boyfriend as they bought a house recently and they use the TV too. :)

I've seen/read a few people using it, works very well by and large. More hardcore/competitive online gamers would avoid though as response times are something like 0.2 of a second compared to 0.001-0.005 of a second on most monitors. I think we'll be seeing more of it as PCs get smaller and smaller and the audience continues to grow further beyond the more competitive/hardcore element.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Inviere

I don't play any competitive multiplayer or anything, so refresh rate isn't a problem. Playing on a tv is no different otherwise, I'm surprised you've not seen it before actually

• Registered Users Posts: 28,099 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Inviere wrote: »
    If you think what consoles under my tv are newsworthy, can't wait to see the headlines for what consoles are OVER my tv :D

IMG_20170528_155113.jpg

I'd imagine it's a bit uncomfortable typing sitting that close to the screen. You'll get square eyes!!

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I'd imagine it's a bit uncomfortable typing sitting that close to the screen. You'll get square eyes!!

They invented wireless keyboards and mice a good few years back...controllers too.

Dismay at being able to use a pc over hdmi?
    Confusion at the concept of a non wired keyboard and mouse?
    Bewilderment at the notion of using a controller with a pc?

It is 2017 right? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,099 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They invented wireless keyboards and mice a good few years back...controllers too.

It was a joke ,:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

I'm afraid your numbers are back-to-front. It's 1720.

Plus, :rolleyes:.

I'm afraid your numbers are back-to-front. It's 1720.

I see, cheers for that.
    Plus, :rolleyes:.

Why the sarkyness? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

I see, cheers for that.

Why the sarkyness? :)

Just in case you took it literally. A la emmet's comment.

:D:rolleyes::D:rolleyes: ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

This man queried what year we're living, the reactions he got will astound you…

• Advertisement

This man queried what year we're living, the reactions he got will astound you…

Sounds more like a page 7 article, the front page will be concerned with the revelation of using pcs on TVs :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I take it your not too big a fan of Zelda either. :rolleyes:

He is only a fair weather fan as he doesn't have the CDi games.

Do you have a desk for the wireless stuff? very odd behavior for PC gaming indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Don't you have to suffer from pathological self-hatred to own those?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

If you think what consoles under my tv are newsworthy, can't wait to see the headlines for what consoles are OVER my tv :D

IMG_20170528_155113.jpg

thats a lovely tidy setup, nicely done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was using a 1080p TV instead of a monitor for the longest time. I mean a TV is just a monitor and vice versa.

With wireless k&m and controllers a pc makes a great media centre/games machine for a sitting room and programmes like steam have stuff like big picture mode that make them more functional from the couch.

.... I actually think wand of gamelon and faces of evil are decent games and don't deserve the worst games ever moniker they get.

Zeldas Adventure on the other hand is a ****ing disgrace. Some morons will tell you it's the semi decent one but it's not. It's hot garbage.

Most people haven't played the CDI games and emulation is dreadful for the system. The first two are two of the best games on the system.... which is not a barometer of how good they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

.... I actually think wand of gamelon and faces of evil are decent games and don't deserve the worst games ever moniker they get.

Zeldas Adventure on the other hand is a ****ing disgrace. Some morons will tell you it's the semi decent one but it's not. It's hot garbage.

Most people haven't played the CDI games and emulation is dreadful for the system. The first two are two of the best games on the system.... which is not a barometer of how good they are.

"Hurr durr dey gev Link a voice 0/10"

Do you have a desk for the wireless stuff? very odd behavior for PC gaming indeed.
    I've a wireless headset, wireless mouse, wireless remote (more for the Kodi/HTPC stuff) and tiny/slim wireless keyboard that slot perfectly on top of the PC when I'm not using it. Planning on building a little wooden enclosure in a few months with the PC at the bottom, projector at the top, and a small section on top for all those bits and bobs that would be about 2ft long, 1ft wide and 2.5-3ft tall.

No TV so they're just sat under the coffee table pointing at a blank wall right now (I put the projector on top of the coffee table when using it), which will make it pretty much unnoticeable and easy to just pop away in the corner when not in use, though it'll be a bit tricky to make because I'll need to make 2-3 mesh hole areas to allow heat out, esp for the projector. Frees up a tonne of space though, all in all. Plus the latest episodes of Game of Thrones or movies on about a 5'9 x 10ft screen are nothing short of f***ing awesome! :D

Desk there if needed yeah. I have to say though I find it very surprising that anyone would find using a pc on a tv and having wireless inputs odd. It's the perfect setup for me, I game on it, I browse the web on it, and it's my media centre. Wireless keyboard and mouse, Xbox controller, and windows remote control....where did the notion that it has to be used differently come from? Granted, a desk is better for certain uses, but it's not essential at all to enjoy a pc.

Exactly, ****ed if I'm spending half a grand on those coasters :D
    I was using a 1080p TV instead of a monitor for the longest time. I mean a TV is just a monitor and vice versa.

With wireless k&m and controllers a pc makes a great media centre/games machine for a sitting room and programmes like steam have stuff like big picture mode that make them more functional from the couch.

Exactly, it's more consolised these days than ever before.

• Advertisement

Never had any interest whatsoever in Zelda games despite my best mate growing up being mad about them, but just finished BOTW on the PC last night and holy christ what a game. Sorry, just had to throw that out there!

Where is the desk stored when not needed? Seems much too complicated having to wheel it out every time you need it. Doesn't fit with the clean design of your setup

Where is the desk stored when not needed? Seems much too complicated having to wheel it out every time you need it. Doesn't fit with the clean design of your setup

It's on the other side of the room, though I don't feel the need to use it much, unless I want to play a fast paced fps or something. For the most part, a controller takes care of most of the gaming needs, and for less intense mouse driven stuff like Civ etc, the mouse works well on any surface. It seriously couldn't be any easier, and is identical in simplicity to using a console :confused:

I actually feel consoles are becoming worse and more complicated than PC in a few areas.

Networking in particular is a nightmare. With a PC it's slap in a ether net cable or just set up the wireless. On a console I've had lots of issues due to the extra security they have so the platform holders can protect their market place and copy protection.

Sony's patching and installation procedure is the most baffling. At least... I think.... they got rid of flashing the entire bios nand on the operating system PS3, something you would only do on PC in dire circumstances as it's not reliable. So many PS3 consoles were bricked by in and Sony would not accept responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

flashing the BIOS on PC is a lot more safe that it used to be and I generally do it with most PC's that I work with without incident

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The PS4 and XB1 seem little more than PCs in a different case with less accessibility and function.
    If it wasn't for the exclusives there's little reason to own anything other then a PC tbh.
    At least Ninty is making something else entirely .

Conversely I game 99% on a console/consoles at a desk with a PC on it too and a TV about 50 cm away to the right showing news or what ever :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Shenmue 3 to be published by Deep Silver.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Shenmue 3 to be published by Deep Silver.

Both this and Crackdown 3 will eventually come out in 2020 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Desk there if needed yeah. I have to say though I find it very surprising that anyone would find using a pc on a tv and having wireless inputs odd.

Use the same setup for my PC. Wireless keyboard and tv for the win :D.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement