Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Frontier, the developers of Planet Coaster, are bringing a Jurassic Park theme park management game to PC, XB1 and PS4 next summer.

First (gameplay-free) trailer.

PlayStation's Twitter, Facebook Accounts Briefly Hacked [Kotaku]

Okay, not the worst hack in Sony's history, but fcuk me, Sony need to get on top of this sh1t.

PlayStation's Twitter, Facebook Accounts Briefly Hacked [Kotaku]

Okay, not the worst hack in Sony's history, but fcuk me, Sony need to get on top of this sh1t.

Meh, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. HBO have had their accounts taken over and so have MS. When it comes to things like a twitter account being compromised it may have more to do with twitter and facebook security than anything Sony did.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Meh, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. HBO have had their accounts taken over and so have MS. When it comes to things like a twitter account being compromised it may have more to do with twitter and facebook security than anything Sony did.
    it just looks terrible given sonys history with security. agree with the other lad they need to get their house in order

it just looks terrible given sonys history with security. agree with liam they need to get their house in order

Really doesn't look that bad, Sony was not hacked, someone got access to their social media accounts, much like people have got into Microsoft's, Netflix, facebook and even Mark Zuckerberg’s. This is less a hack than it is a security exploit, no one hacked Sony, to say Sony was hacked in anyway is just creating misinformation. I would wager that what happened was that this group has found a security exploit in twitter and facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't think Sony have any blame here. It's the twitter security that was hacked, Sony has no control over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Inviere

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I don't think Sony have any blame here. It's the twitter security that was hacked, Sony has no control over it.

I hope Twitter tells them that they should have enabled 2FA & tells them to feck off, like Sony do with their customers

Inviere wrote: »
    I hope Twitter tells them that they should have enabled 2FA & tells them to feck off, like Sony do with their customers

I was about to post something like this (Sony using Twitter 2FA); Twitter can't account for the stupidity of their account holders.

I'll concede that it's not a huge deal on Sony's part... but crap like this just crops up far too often for them. I'm losing a lot of confidence in them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was about to post something like this (Sony using Twitter 2FA); Twitter can't account for the stupidity of their account holders.

I'll concede that it's not a huge deal on Sony's part... but crap like this just crops up far too often for them. I'm losing a lot of confidence in them.

While Sony's security is really suspect and quite frankly near criminal in the past I don't see how the blame can be laid at Sony's feet here. Unless they had a password like 'password123' I very much doubt the breach was Sony's fault and not the mostly likely cause, a weakness in Twitter's security.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,099 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

While Sony's security is really suspect and quite frankly near criminal in the past I don't see how the blame can be laid at Sony's feet here. Unless they had a password like 'password123' I very much doubt the breach was Sony's fault and not the mostly likely cause, a weakness in Twitter's security.

Rumour is the password was MsFTSuCKzPS#1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

The crowd that took over the accounts done the same with numerous other accounts last week including HBO. They are raising awareness of exploits I believe.

...I don't see how the blame can be laid at Sony's feet here. Unless they had a password like 'password123' I very much doubt the breach was Sony's fault and not the mostly likely cause, a weakness in Twitter's security.

I don't see how it can't be...

2FA is there for a reason. If you don't use it (on any site, not just Twitter) and combine that with bad "password hygiene", then that's your fault and your problem.

Sony have proven multiple times that their security procedures/implementations are lame; I'd be very surprised if Sony had 2FA on this account (the hackers would need access to a physical device for that).

But we should agree to disagree at this point, so this thread won't derail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I don't see how it can't be...

2FA is there for a reason. If you don't use it (on any site, not just Twitter) and combine that with bad "password hygiene", then that's your fault and your problem.

Sony have proven multiple times that their security procedures/implementations are lame; I'd be very surprised if Sony had 2FA on this account (the hackers would need access to a physical device for that).

But we should agree to disagree at this point, so this thread won't derail.

Who cares if their twitter account was hacked. Ridiculous complaint

RasTa wrote: »
    Who cares if their twitter account was hacked. Ridiculous complaint

Well I do, as a person who has spent good money on their services. it all points to their lazy interpretation and implementation of "security".

Well I do, as a person who has spent good money on their services. it all points to their lazy interpretation and implementation of "security".

Want to jump to any more conclusions. There is no proof that Sony are in any way at fault for this bar people just wanting to attack them. Their security was not compromised, no one hacked them. Twitter's security is more deserving of criticism than Sony right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Terribly embarrassing for Playstation.

Both Twitter and Facebook accounts breached. Countless retreats and shares of posts made by the hackers on the Playstation accounts claiming they have the 'PSN Database'. Their might need to be some independent investigation into that claim.

I think many companies can shrug it off but with Playstation having such a poor security record this further damages their image.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Twitter isn't one of their services.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

OurMine, a Saudi Arabia based hacking group hacked the official social media platforms including Twitter and Facebook accounts of Sony‘s PlayStation Network (PSN) on Sunday.

After taking over the PSN’s Twitter account with 14.6 million followers, the group started sending Tweets encouraging the Network to contact the group through its website to buy its IT security service to protect them from future hack attacks.

The group also claimed to have access to PSN‘s database with no plans to leak it online since the group considers itself “a security group. “No, we aren’t going to share it, we are a security group if you work at PlayStation then please go to our website,” the Tweet said.

https://www.hackread.com/sony-hacked-ourmine-hacks-playstation-twitter-facebook/

The same crowd got hold of HBO's twitter etc last week aswell. OurMine even say they won't release the info yet people are scaremongering online against Sony.

Both Twitter and Facebook accounts breached. Countless retreats and shares of posts made by the hackers on the Playstation accounts claiming they have the 'PSN Database'. Their might need to be some independent investigation into that claim.

I think many companies can shrug it off but with Playstation having such a poor security record this further damages their image.

This should in no way damage their image at all because it wasnt their platform that was hacked it was Twitter/Facebook

Want to jump to any more conclusions. There is no proof that Sony are in any way at fault for this bar people just wanting to attack them. Their security was not compromised, no one hacked them. Twitter's security is more deserving of criticism than Sony right now.
    Not that much of a jump... more of a large step ;)

Okay, I did phrase that badly. But if you are a multi-national company, and you have a social media account (these days one of the prime ways to interact with your customers), you get those accounts tightened as much as you can.

No matter what way you spin that, it's basic stuff to have 2FA there. I realise there's no way to say that Sony didn't have 2FA, but given their track record (and the fact that their facebook account was also compromised), I would be very surprised if they do. None of those service providers (Twitter, facebook, Google, ...) can account for stupidity and laziness.

I'm not out to attack Sony or anything (PS4 is still my primary system), but it's always that stuff like this "happens to Sony" and not "because of Sony".

But look, at the end of the day, no matter whose fault it is, it's embarrassing for Sony (hell, I'm embarrassed for them).
    Penn wrote: »
    Twitter isn't one of their services.
    Gee, thanks for the clarification. :rolleyes:

But that wasn't my point. My point is that it shows Sony's approach to security.
    jonnycivic wrote: »
    This should in no way damage their image at all because it wasnt their platform that was hacked it was Twitter/Facebook

Twitter wasn't hacked. Sony's account on Twitter was hacked. Please read the rest of my posts for my thoughts on why.

• Advertisement

Okay, I did phrase that badly. But if you are a multi-national company, and you have a social media account (these days one of the prime ways to interact with your customers), you get those accounts tightened as much as you can.

No matter what way you spin that, it's basic stuff to have 2FA there. I realise there's no way to say that Sony didn't have 2FA, but given their track record (and the fact that their facebook account was also compromised), I would be very surprised if they do. None of those service providers (Twitter, facebook, Google, ...) can account for stupidity and laziness.

I'm not out to attack Sony or anything (PS4 is still my primary system), but it's always that stuff like this "happens to Sony" and not "because of Sony".

But look, at the end of the day, no matter whose fault it is, it's embarrassing for Sony (hell, I'm embarrassed for them).

But that wasn't my point. My point is that it shows Sony's approach to security.

Twitter wasn't hacked. Sony's account on Twitter was hacked.

Yes and Sony hardly have their entire database sitting on their Twitter account :rolleyes:

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Yes and Sony hardly have their entire database sitting on their Twitter account :rolleyes:

:confused: What's that got to do with anything I've said?

it's their approach to seciruty I'm questioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Twitter wasn't hacked. Sony's account on Twitter was hacked.

It doesn't show their approach to security. Access to their social media accounts is not, in any way, comparable to their security measures for people's accounts/passwords/billing info or whatever on their own platform. It's like saying Michael Schumacher's ski accident shows his approach to Formula 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Penn wrote: »
    It doesn't show their approach to security. Access to their social media accounts is not, in any way, comparable to their security measures for people's accounts/passwords/billing info or whatever on their own platform. It's like saying Michael Schumacher's ski accident shows his approach to Formula 1.

Please say you get it now

Its got everything to do with it, Sony's twitter account was hacked (Oh and sony arent the only ones effected by this "hack"), it doesnt show anything up about Sony's security at all. If anything it shows that twitters security is lacking.

How come when MS had their social media accounts hacked no one was calling that embarrassing. Any excuse to attack Sony, even if they aren't at fault. A third-party platform gets compromised and numerous accounts of major companies get taken over and no one bats an eyelid. Sony are mentioned and suddenly there are major concerns. And as ever, the same people pop up to get a dig in.

Making assumptions again. That this happened to dozens of others over the past week and it would point to it being an issue with the platforms rather than the account users.

Ah look, I'm done.

Can we all just agree to disagree here?

I think Sony's security is rubbish, you all think the sun shines out of their ass.

Let's leave it at that.

Ah look, I'm done.

Can we all just agree to disagree here?

I think Sony's security is rubbish, you all think the sun shines out of their ass.

Let's leave it at that.

Nobody ever said the sun shines out of their ass, dont be putting words into peoples mouths ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

The hacking group claimed they hacked the PSN database and then they hacked Playstation's social media accounts to post what they had done.

There definitely should be an independent investigation for something this serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

lads its obviously not a direct fault of ps but the problem is it looks bad to the general public considering the security issues ps has had in the past.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement