Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Animations look dreadful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Animations look dreadful

Your not wrong there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't get the criticisms of the animations and character models? This isn't a triple A game, they look find for what it is and the budget. Also it's not like they won't improve considering this is a pretty old build of the game.

I'd rather have Shenmue 3 with some graphical cut backs than have it end up in development hell due to trying to make it pretty.

I think people have unrealistic expectations of the game. I'd much rather they put the focus into making the game world as ridiculously detailed as possible which was the whole point of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Animations look dreadful

The animations have already been removed according to Yu Suzuki, the trailer was only released to have something to show at Gamescom.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I don't get the criticisms of the animations and character models? This isn't a triple A game, they look find for what it is and the budget. .

They took nearly 6.5 million from fans of the series through kickstarter alone, the least people deserve is decent animation

• Advertisement

They took nearly 6.5 million from fans of the series through kickstarter alone, the least people deserve is decent animation

They didn't take it, people offered and when it comes to Shenmue 3 all I care about is the gameplay. I think the game looks good, it's what I expected and they have already come out and said that it is nowhere near the final product.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't get the criticisms of the animations and character models? This isn't a triple A game, they look find for what it is and the budget. .

6.5 million is sweet **** all in terms of triple A game budget. It's about what atlus or falcom would budget a game at.

They didn't take it, people offered and when it comes to Shenmue 3 all I care about is the gameplay. I think the game looks good, it's what I expected and they have already come out and said that it is nowhere near the final product.
    Because people willingly offered the cash doesn't absolve the game from criticism
    6.5 million is sweet **** all in terms of triple A game budget. It's about what atlus or falcom would budget a game at.

Very true that 6.5 mil is **** all in terms of AAA budget but when that amount of money alone comes straight from the consumer via crowdfunding, a particularly loyal consumer at that, then the product has to reach a high standard and what was shown in the trailer wasn't of a high standard. Yeah its not near the finished product but why show it in its current state if its looking so poor?

I thought it looked comparable to the Yakuza games, and considering they are the closest modern games have gotten to Shenmue I'm alright for it. I think people are just expecting too much.

Because people willingly offered the cash doesn't absolve the game from criticism

You are criticising an early in development video that the developer has already come out and stated does not represent the final product. It is early in development video and honestly, if the game looks like that then I would have no problem with it, long as they add in a couple of facial reactions.
    Very true that 6.5 mil is **** all in terms of AAA budget but when that amount of money alone comes straight from the consumer via crowdfunding, a particularly loyal consumer at that, then the product has to reach a high standard and what was shown in the trailer wasn't of a high standard. Yeah its not near the finished product but why show it in its current state if its looking so poor?

You seem to equate graphics with high standard, most people backing Shenmue 3 are more interested in gameplay and story than how shiny it looks. It looks pretty damn good, the environments look great and character designs are good. It's an early in development video and looks good for what it is. Certainly preferable to some glossy graphics wet dream that comes out looking nothing like the early videos.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kickstarter has created a dangerously distorted perception of how much games cost to make. Shenmue was the most expensive game of all time - the second sequel has a budget several orders of magnitude smaller.

6.5 million is nothing for a game of its scope. Indeed, that 6.5 mill is immediately slashed by Kickstarter fees, taxes, rewards etc. The game is being made in Japan too, which will raise the costs significantly right off the bat. At least they are upfront from the off that Kickstarter wouldn't be the sole funding source.

There's a reason so many Kickstarters run into problems or need extra funding - it's an immensely limited funding platform. A handful of major projects have succeeded without any public troubles, but more have highlighted how a record breaking Kickstarter is actually pretty damn insignificant amount of funding in the general scheme of mid-tier game development.

If anything, I applaud the Shenmue team for going with a more stylised approach graphically - it's probably the best way for them to deliver their game without setting unrealistic expectations of what their limited budget can actually achieve.

Have to agree with the stylised look. The characters are instantly recognisable and share a lot with their dreamcast models.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Have to agree with the stylised look. The characters are instantly recognisable and share a lot with their dreamcast models.

And it saves them money :P

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

look at the backgrounds and how good they look, that's more indicative of the quality you can expect of the game.

The budget is much higher than 6.5m, it's at least 13m, probably more than that too, they have other funding and it's at least gonna be matched funding

The characters look bad because there's no facial animation, there wont be facial animation until they're doing the voice acting, that comes much later in development

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I actually think it looks grand, it fits thematically with the series. That being said, I can't see it being a very good game. While 1&2 were groundbreaking in their time, they don't hold up at all now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Sieghardt wrote: »
    :eek:

Dude how much do you game, your trophy collection is insane :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

...guess I'll look for a Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Rockstar Games Announces 4 New Versions of L.A. Noire coming November 14, 2017
    L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files for HTC Vive delivers seven of the original engrossing, self-contained cases from LA Noire rebuilt specifically for virtual reality, blending breathtaking action with true detective work to deliver an unprecedented interactive experience.

L.A. Noire for the Nintendo Switch features the complete original game and all additional downloadable content, with specific enhancements including a Joy-Con mode with gyroscopic, gesture-based controls, HD rumble and new wide and over-the-shoulder camera angles, plus contextual touch screen controls for portable detective work.

L.A. Noire for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One delivers the complete original game and all additional downloadable content with a range of technical enhancements for greater visual fidelity and authenticity, including enhanced lighting and clouds, new cinematic camera angles, high resolution textures and more. L.A. Noire plays natively in 1080p for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One consoles, and stunning 4K for PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X, capturing the grit and grime of the City of Angels like never before.

2_LA_Noire_Announcement_Poster.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Hmmmm I could probably go for that. Didn't give it enough attention when it came out first time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

YYYYYEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Apologies for shouting.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,281 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

From the poster I take it the four versions are Xbox, PS4, Switch and Vive.

I enjoyed the game back in the day, not sure I'd be bothered again but a VR version sounds pretty appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Featuring enhanced clouds! I'm in.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mehhh Its was an ok game nothing special about it really, graphics were amazing for the time but the city, world was lifeless/boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,843 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Will be interesting to see the price of this. I really liked this on ps3 and can't remember it well enough to give it another playthrough but will seriously depend on the price point.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,281 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mehhh Its was an ok game nothing special about it really, graphics were amazing for the time but the city, world was lifeless/boring.

Always felt like a linear story driven game that got needlessly plonked in an open world to me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Always felt like a linear story driven game that got needlessly plonked in an open world to me.

Yes that's exactly happened it, no need for the open world really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Yes that's exactly happened it, no need for the open world really.
    I couldn't force myself to finish it.

Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see the price of this. I really liked this on ps3 and can't remember it well enough to give it another playthrough but will seriously depend on the price point.

€39.99 on PS4 and XB1, €49.99 on Switch. Hopefully will be a little cheaper on TGC and similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Lads, LA Noire is a great detective game.
    And while already pointed out, the open world is a bit tacked on and the driving is absolute aids, I think you do owe it to yourself to complete it, great story :)

I never realised it was so poorly received until they announced the re-release. I thought it was one of the best games of Gen 7 :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,843 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

40 too steep, will wait for the sale. For anyone who hasn't played it, this sums it up perfectly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement