Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Remember those guys who promoted their dodgy CSGO betting site? Their punishment? Promise not to do it again...

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/09/youtubers-escape-fines-for-promoting-their-own-csgo-gambling-site/?comments=1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

J. Marston wrote: »
    Remember those guys who promoted their dodgy CSGO betting site? Their punishment? Promise not to do it again...

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/09/youtubers-escape-fines-for-promoting-their-own-csgo-gambling-site/?comments=1

More likely they settled out of court with a stipulation not to mention the settlement

These cases always settle rather than carry through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I see that Pewdiepie idiot is in trouble again. Colour me unsympathetic on this one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not even a hint of sympathy for the lad. Even the most generous reading of his latest 'error' is empty, meaningless shock jockery that deserves nothing but disdain. At this stage, he's old enough to know better.

What a fcuking n****r ... Sorry, but what the fcuk. What a fcuking asshole.

You don't say something like that, so off the cuff, unless it's in your every day language. At a stretch, he's doing it for the publicity; but it's far more likely he's a closet racist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,843 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Firewatch Dev Campo Santo is NOT happy.

https://twitter.com/vanaman/status/906983575337107456
    tps://twitter.com/vanaman/status/906983575337107456

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

You don't say something like that, so off the cuff, unless it's in your every day language. At a stretch, he's doing it for the publicity; but it's far more likely he's a closet racist.

I think, given his track record, he's no longer a closet racist, just a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What did he do?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,281 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

emmetkenny wrote: »
    What did he do?

I presume he said on a stream what Willfinity has quoted above.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I presume he said on a stream what Willfinity has quoted above.

Missed that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Not even a hint of sympathy for the lad. Even the most generous reading of his latest 'error' is empty, meaningless shock jockery that deserves nothing but disdain. At this stage, he's old enough to know better.
    From what I understand he doesn't really need shock jockery, given his audience

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

He's made enough money for several lifetimes, he can let his true character shine through now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭Evade

Pewdiepie has **** you money now so he can pretty much do and say whatever he wants (within the law) and not have to worry about the consequences. I don't think he's a racist he's just pushing buttons because he can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Well that thing he did before was proven false; a lot of it was taken out of context for the articles.

I've never watched his stuff but doesn't he have some kind of condition? Like a mild aspergers or Tourette's or something. It might be legit hard for him to control what he blurts out at times.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I don't think he has any conditions, he just plays an odd character. A slightly (completely?) racist odd character.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I never watched his videos. I tried to watch once and couldn't stand listening to him for my more than 3 minutes and was wondering to myself how is he the most popular youtuber.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I never watched his videos. I tried to watch once and couldn't stand listening to him for my more than 3 minutes and was wondering to myself how is he the most popular youtuber.

As with a lot of popular things/people, thick cunce mainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Try listening to that Irish dude, Jack Septic Eye. Just 5 seconds of any video. I dare you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Try listening to that Irish dude, Jack Septic Eye. Just 5 seconds of any video. I dare you.

The #1 reason any time I want to glance at how a game looks before buying I put in "[Game title] gameplay NO COMMENTARY". I randomly saw a video of him just talking normally though and his voice was still quite similar. I can't stand his stuff but at the same time, fair play to the lad for becoming a multi millionaire I would reckon in his 20s, from playing video games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Evade wrote: »
    I don't think he's a racist he's just pushing buttons because he can.

I reckon he's mostly just immensely immature / ignorant with no understanding of the weight of what he's saying and the possible consequences of it to the potentially impressionable audience he's communicating to. Didn't he recently release a video after Charlottesville finally admitting he realised where the backlash to his Nazi 'gags' came from?

That said, it's worth pointing out that many - most! - high profile people manage to go through life just fine without being embroiled in controversies of this sort, let alone several :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

That's devastating, love that account, really came out with some absolute gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

CatInABox wrote: »
    That's devastating, love that account, really came out with some absolute gold.

And consistently without any mean spirited or fanboy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Zero-Cool wrote: »

That's now how the DMCA works! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Zero-Cool wrote: »

Expecially with how that h3h3 lawsuit went

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Legally speaking that is how it works though. Ryan Morrison, also known as Video Game Attorney on the internets, weighs in quite thoroughly on his podcast,
    here.

I was even more surprised to see TotalBiscuit, who is usually vociferously against DMCA abuse and the vocal about importance of Fair Use, comment via the thread below.

https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/907026958118252544

The h3h3 lawsuit, for what it's worth, was a win because the Klein's usage of that dude's video came under the umbrella of Fair Use. If the commentary Kjellberg offered was more substantive and perhaps used the footage in a more "transformative" way, he'd probably be in the clear also.

EDIT: FWIW, Jas Purewall, another UK-based solicitor specializing in this kind of thing, was a bit more cautious in his appraisal. His reaction is here:

https://twitter.com/gamerlaw/status/907889715298406400

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Didn't the firewatch crybaby explicitly allow and encourage people to use and monetize their gameplay

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Bambi wrote: »
    Didn't the firewatch crybaby explicitly allow and encourage people to use and monetize their gameplay
    Legally speaking it doesn't matter.

There's no transcription of above podcast and I'm loath to just say listen to it but that particular point is covered fairly early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭Evade

I'd be interested to know if Pewdiepie was one of the 3000+ streamers who got a free key for Firewatch. I can't see any reason they wouldn't have sent a key to one of the biggest streamers on the planet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Evade wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know if Pewdiepie was one of the 3000+ streamers who got a free key for Firewatch. I can't see any reason they wouldn't have sent a key to one of the biggest streamers on the planet.

If they'd have known he was a racist tw@ they might have thought twice. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement