Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭Evade

If they'd have known he was a racist tw@ they might have thought twice. :D
    They didn't seem to have had much of a problem with him until now. My point is if they did send him a key that could be seen as explicit permission for him to use Firewatch make videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Evade wrote: »
    They didn't seem to have had much of a problem with him until now. My point is if they did send him a key that could be seen as explicit permission for him to use Firewatch make videos.
    Sending a key in itself wouldn't constitute giving explicit permission for anything legally. Allowing him to make and upload videos would be covered by the line in the TOS but the legality of that is covered in the podcast, in short, it's perfectly revocable with the caveat that no action can be taken against him for the time it was live before the revocation.

gizmo wrote: »
    Sending a key in itself wouldn't constitute giving explicit permission for anything legally.
    Not the key itself but they're usually accompanied by some directions like when they can publish videos etc.

Not the key itself but they're usually accompanied by some directions like when they can publish videos etc.
    Quite possibly but again, they'd hold the same legal weight as the permission given in the TOS.

Quite possibly but again, they'd hold the same legal weight as the permission given in the TOS.
    Youtube's TOS or Campo Santo's? If it's Youtube's he had permission to make the video. If it's Campo Santo's then it was probably a breach of a morality clause or something which wouldn't fall under DMCA.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,420 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As far as I can see it PewDiePie is an utter bellend but has done nothing wrong in regards to using footage from Firewatch. On the other hand Campo Santo are totally in the wrong abusing DMCA takedown. Their reasons might be noble but legally there's no difference between what Campo Santo are doing and what another unscrupulous publisher like what Sega did with all Shining Force videos. Even worse, if Campo Santo somehow win this case it sets a very dangerous precedent that would allow publishers to abuse DMCA takedown with no fear of legal action.

Youtube's TOS or Campo Santo's? If it's Youtube's he had permission to make the video. If it's Campo Santo's then it was probably a breach of a morality clause or something which wouldn't fall under DMCA.
    Campo Santo. They have a bit on their website FAQ which deals with streaming. The legal analysis I posted above stats that this permission is revocable at any point which would allow them to issue the DMCA takedown notice. At this point, the question of whether it's a valid takedown notice will be based on whether the video comes under the umbrella of fair use.

There's definitely a bunch of interesting points of debate here but ultimately it's a legal issue so the best source of information is going to come from folk with either the necessary training or experience in the area.

Speaking of which, Leonard J. French is the only lawyer I've come across who feels differently about the TOS issue. He's posted a video about the affair here.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    As far as I can see it PewDiePie is an utter bellend but has done nothing wrong in regards to using footage from Firewatch. On the other hand Campo Santo are totally in the wrong abusing DMCA takedown. Their reasons might be noble but legally there's no difference between what Campo Santo are doing and what another unscrupulous publisher like what Sega did with all Shining Force videos. Even worse, if Campo Santo somehow win this case it sets a very dangerous precedent that would allow publishers to abuse DMCA takedown with no fear of legal action.
    The question here is whether a full length Let's Play with minimal substantive commentary or criticism meets the criteria for Fair Use. The answers from most of the folk described seem to gravitate between it's a legal grey area that hasn't been tested in courts yet (and which some higher profile Youtubers are afraid to see happen) to it's just doesn't and therefore constitutes copyright breach.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,459 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

The next Humble Bundle deal leaked

DJsaUG5XcAA5XPS.jpg

PYWY tier
    RIVE: Wreck, Hack, Die, Retry!
    Neon Chrome
    Dungeon Souls
    BTA tier
    Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor GOTY
    Ultimate Chicken Horse
    Oxenfree
    $10 tier
    Death Road to Canada
    Beat Cop
    $80 tier
    Middle-Earth: Shadow of War
    More to come next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

How often have then done that were the top tier is a new/unreleased game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The question here is whether a full length Let's Play with minimal substantive commentary or criticism meets the criteria for Fair Use. The answers from most of the folk described seem to gravitate between it's a legal grey area that hasn't been tested in courts yet (and which some higher profile Youtubers are afraid to see happen) to it's just doesn't and therefore constitutes copyright breach.

In your opinion, millions didn't show up to watch a game from a small dev they showed up for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I used to kinda like this guys videos on metal bands but his rants about games journalism are gold

"I've seen the outright indifferent go from avowed diffidence to milton friedman with a joystick" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Resident Evil Revelations 1 is after getting a PS4 /X Box One remaster if anyone is interested. Not a bad price either at €20 the few places I checked. Also available in Gamestop with their usual tax applied for €25 so avoid there if looking for it. I've never played the original release but have heard good things about it so looking forward to trying.

Didn't want to resurrect a 4 year old thread nor does it warrant a thread of its own so thought this would be the best place to post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,459 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Steam remove Zonitron Production developers from their list which include 173 titles for spamming games

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/72foef/changes_in_steam_api_50_removed_games_no_longer/?st=j818bxbs&sh=be5445e5

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,420 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Atlus filed a DMCA against PS3 emulator RPCS3's patreon. I love Atlus but they are totally in the wrong here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Atlus filed a DMCA against PS3 emulator RPCS3's patreon. I love Atlus but they are totally in the wrong here.

Hopefully Sega forces them to release P5 on the PC. There's obviously interest in it, and Sega have been good with their PC releases recently.

Pretty sure it's coming. They've been hinting at it and even have in the press release regarding this.

If it comes to pc it will be the third time I own the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Retr0gamer wrote:

Probably not a good idea to try earn money by using other people's assets.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Retr0gamer wrote:

Probably not a good idea to try earn money by using other people's assets.

Emulators if they use original code are totally legal. However it dies seem they were mentioning Personal 5 on the page and I presume some P5 art work so fair enough there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The page is still up, as Patreon have said there's nothing wrong with the project itself, just that they should remove any mention of Persona 5. The sudden interest in shutting it down would certainly point to an imminent PC release

/optimism

More details on the Atlus DMCA here.

"We understand many Persona fans would love to see a PC version"

Of particular interest...
    "We understand that many Persona fans would love to see a PC version. And while we don't have anything to announce today, we are listening! For now, the best way to experience Persona 5 is on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

• Registered Users Posts: 29,844 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

What a pile of stinking sh1t. $3000 in a year!!! Lolol. Benefits are total crap One of the worst promotions I have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

What's the issue? I spend well over 3,000 on my CC a year.

• What's the issue? I spend well over 3,000 on my CC a year.

Really not sure how you think this a good idea :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Hmm, they can't keep psn secure so they want me to trust them with being my credit card provider?
    https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/250x250/22945743/ill-stop-you-there-im-out.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I never played Super Metroid back in the day, playing on the snes mini last night. How did people figure out how to use the morphing ball?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

RasTa wrote: »
    I never played Super Metroid back in the day, playing on the snes mini last night. How did people figure out how to use the morphing ball?
    Back in the olden days they often included such information in things called manuals :pac: ;)

http://metroid.retropixel.net/gallery.php?gallery_id=m3_manual&image_id=5

• Registered Users Posts: 29,844 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

RasTa wrote: »

The Mini SNES worth it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    The Mini SNES worth it?

Would rather a Switch TBH.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement