Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'd imagine that we'll get to a point where indiscriminately killing anyone in games as a group will be seen in poor taste.
    We saw an example that was a bit naf in MOH 2010 where you go around shooting brown terrorist people.

I can't imagine that MOH Pacific Assault seemed terribly tasteful or sold well in Japan.

When you get down to it, most of the guys you're shooting in Wolfenstein, assuming that you're taking them to be normal German soldiers, are just people of a certain age who grew up in a ****ty country at the wrong time.

What made Nazism scary wasn't that an entire country became evil but rather that it didn't have to. It could be co-opted by a few lunatics and they could use nationalism to peddle their insanity to the destruction of the whole of Europe.

There were clearly bad guys in WW2 and even though the Allies did commit some war crimes, the Germans and Japanese were qualitative worse.
    However, that doesn't mean the common man in the infantry was the problem.

So gleefully murdering them all isn't the same as doing it specifically to Mecha-Hitler.
    I think the glorification of one side over another in these historically-based shooters is going to start to decline, if it hasn't already with a move to WW1 in BF1, or a move to the future in COD.

Not that I'm terribly bothered if Neo-Nazis have their noses put out of joint about, mind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

tok9 wrote: »
    Not a theme of the game? Do you know what Wolfenstein is?
    I'm referring to the political slogan in the trailer which suggests an attempt to associate the game with the current political climate in America. Specifically the liberal agenda.

Mot in my video game! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,461 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

qrx wrote: »
    Specifically the liberal agenda.

You mean the agenda against the white nationalists, racists, far right trolls and assorted horrible people who have - without dispute - gained prominence in recent years / months? Not every Trump voter, just the fringe extremists who he has empowered and been reluctant to criticise. Some of whom have been caught on camera giving literal Nazi salutes?

Darn those liberals! And damn those publishers drawing a parallel in marketing about their long-running series about shooting Nazis in America!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm referring to the political slogan in the trailer which suggests an attempt to associate the game with the current political climate in America. Specifically the liberal agenda.

That has literally always been the point of the game. It's the alternate universe where the Nazi's win, and a bunch of Americans fight back.

And to be completely honest with you, the use of the words 'the liberal agenda' tells me literally all I need to know about your point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Gbear wrote: »
    I'd imagine that we'll get to a point where indiscriminately killing anyone in games as a group will be seen in poor taste.
    We saw an example that was a bit naf in MOH 2010 where you go around shooting brown terrorist people.
    I don't know, Nazi's have a pretty well earned reputation as the most evil group of people to walk the earth (at least at that scale), and after more than 75 years from Captain America or Superman beating the sh*te out of them in comic books to Charlie Chaplin ruthlessly mocking them (The Great Dictator probably has to be the best comedy of all time for me - holds up quite well as actually funny still despite being a silent film, and the sheer balls of Chaplin to do it was incredible) we still are not bored of it. Inglorious Basterds is still Tarantino's second most profitable film as a recent example.

I reckon we'll be seeing people mock, punch and kill Nazi's in games and movies for quite a while yet.

• Advertisement

Maybe not in yours, but certainly in Bethesda's. ;)

They're not just looking to sell units in the US but in the entire world, and what better to go for that than mocking the perhaps most internationally unpopular president in the history of America? He only got elected nine months ago, I doubt it's too heavily ingrained beyond imagery to be honest.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    That has literally always been the point of the game. It's the alternate universe where the Nazi's win, and a bunch of Americans fight back.

And to be completely honest with you, the use of the words 'the liberal agenda' tells me literally all I need to know about your point of view.
    Oh **** the game is about killing Nazi's?! Well I never, what will they think of next.

P.s. please keep your accusations or opinions of my point of view to yourself. I'm discussing a video game and it's use of a topical political slogan which I don't agree has any place in a video game. Nazi slaughtering or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Was buying Wolfenstein II anyway. May buy it twice now to support the liberal agenda, whatever that is it sounds like my kind of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Really enjoying the first one at the moment. Have no idea why people are in any way offended by that marketing for the new one. It's quite smart. US run by nazis, you wanna kill them all. THATS. THE. GAME.

Oh **** the game is about killing Nazi's?! Well I never, what will they think of next.

P.s. please keep your accusations or opinions of my point of view to yourself. I'm discussing a video game and it's use of a topical political slogan which I don't agree has any place in a video game. Nazi slaughtering or otherwise.

I'm going to assume you're not a big GTA fan? :p

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    I'm going to assume you're not a big GTA fan? :p

Just for the record, I'm actually massive Wolfenstein fan.

Really enjoying the first one at the moment. Have no idea why people are in any way offended by that marketing for the new one. It's quite smart. US run by nazis, you wanna kill them all. THATS. THE. GAME.
    Exactly. Keep it to the the game and don't make it about Trump, the at right, the liberal agenda or any other political topic of the day. But some people seem to love it, so this is probably a good idea after all. Personally, not liking it and my only hope is it's limited to a marketing gimmick and we don't see it running as a theme through the game.

I want to clarify, as mods don't seem bothered about certain posts I've reported, I am not a Nazi. I'm a video game fan, check my profile history you'll see it's pretty much all I talk about on boards. I've loved talking on here but for my personal integrity to be attacked in such a way and for the mods to just let it slide, I'm pretty much done here. Been fun. Adios.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,281 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Pretty hilarious and indicative of what strange times we live that it's now controversial to be mean to nazis :D

(not aimed at qrx more the general reaction on the internet)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,461 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: please avoid getting personal please folks :)
    Billy86 wrote: »
    The Great Dictator probably has to be the best comedy of all time for me - holds up quite well as actually funny still despite being a silent film, and the sheer balls of Chaplin to do it was incredible

Just to be a pedant, it's not silent. That final speech wouldn't be quite as powerful if it was ;)

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Pretty hilarious and indicative of what strange times we live that it's now controversial to be mean to nazis :D

(not aimed at qrx more the general reaction on the internet)

Listen man, modern far-right folk in the US aren't comparable to Nazis - they just coincidentally share much ideological and stylistic common ground with Nazis!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

lol, this is a message board kid. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Listen man, modern far-right folk in the US aren't comparable to Nazis - they just coincidentally share much ideological and stylistic common ground with Nazis!

Does el trumpo have ideological common ground with the nazis? :confused:

Are you hysterical, should you lie down? :)

t. That final speech wouldn't be quite as powerful if it was

It would have been a lot more powerful if it wasn't delivered by a man who has a soft spot for the greatest dictator of his times...that and the whole paedo thing lessens the impact :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Whats the story with Days Gone. This still doesnt have a release date? Seems to have been in development forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Whats the story with Days Gone. This still doesnt have a release date? Seems to have been in development forever.

It was only announced at E3 last year. I think it's due first half of next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Sight808

oops, wrong thread =D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

IGN, the major gaming and entertainment site, has bought Humble Bundle, as Gamasutra reports today.

Humble Bundle sells groups of games, books, and other media in a pay-what-you-want setup, with a portion of sales going to charities. Bundles typically have some sort of theme, like indie games, specific genres, or publishers. The site has had over 10 million customers and has raised over 106 million dollars for charities like the American Red Cross and Make-A-Wish.

Humble Bundle will continue to operate as an independent entity. It won’t have any major staffing changes in the wake of the purchase.

“We chose IGN because they really understand our vision, share our passion for games, and believe in our mission to promote awesome digital content while helping charity,” Jeff Rosen, Humble Bundle’s chief executive officer and co-founder, noted in a press release sent to GamesBeat. “I can’t think of a better partner than IGN to help Humble Bundle continue our quest.”

https://venturebeat.com/2017/10/13/ign-acquires-humble-bundle-the-digital-game-and-media-store-that-benefits-charities/

Not sure how I feel about this tbh.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

ERG89 wrote: »

Yeah, same here. IGN aren't too bad, but not sure about a website that covers games selling them as well. Seems like a conflict of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Ah FFS they bought a site I used to admin a long time ago, they are ****ing vultures.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Age of Empires: Definitive Edition has been pushed back till next year, was due out next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Humble is now dead
    Humble Bundle will continue to operate as an independent entity. It won’t have any major staffing changes in the wake of the purchase.

“We chose IGN because they really understand our vision, share our passion for games, and believe in our mission to promote awesome digital content while helping charity,” Jeff Rosen, Humble Bundle’s chief executive officer and co-founder, noted in a press release sent to GamesBeat. “I can’t think of a better partner than IGN to help Humble Bundle continue our quest.”

Way to be negative dude.
    Can you please explain exactly how it is dead...will die...or what major changes you see happening so we can all jump on your little negativity train and shout out loudly at our screens and type furiously on the internet while not doing anything about it.

I subscribe to the monthly bundle and often buy other games from there.
    As long as the bundles are good and I can choose to donate some to charity then I don't see what there is to cry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Way to be negative dude.
    Can you please explain exactly how it is dead...will die...or what major changes you see happening so we can all jump on your little negativity train and shout out loudly at our screens and type furiously on the internet while not doing anything about it.

I subscribe to the monthly bundle and often buy other games from there.
    As long as the bundles are good and I can choose to donate some to charity then I don't see what there is to cry about.
    We're all dooooomed! :pac:

I hope nothing changes but the gaming industry has plenty of highlighted examples of devastating acquisitions.

A $hite reviewer running a storefront/publishing platform doesn't sound encouraging.

Unfortunately the pessimist in me thinks it'll inevitably go downhill. Even if ign have all the best intentions in the world, hit the ground running and maybe even improve things in the very short term, when huge companies take over in situations like this so many other factors come in to play and it all too often leads to a slow and steady decline.

Hope I'm wrong though, humble bundle is an excellent service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Sony (Sony Music Entertainment) has a new 3rd party predominantly indie publishing division called Unties.

First game out is called Tiny Metals, and is out on PS4, Switch, and PC.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement