Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

First trailer for Vermintide 2 is coming at 6pm, alongside gameplay and other stuff, according to the devs.

https://go.twitch.tv/fatsharkgames

Looking forward to see it, first had a few flaws but overall a good game, hope they add more of a random element to the maps rather than the same path each time. Would make repeating missions a lot more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Rugby 18 offering the British and Irish Lions as a preorder bonus.

As much as I want to believe this game will be at least playable without being enjoyable, I get the feeling it won't even jump that hurdle :(

Plus the only missing major team is Ireland which is a bit of a balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

EA shuts down Visceral Games
    https://kotaku.com/ea-shuts-down-visceral-games-1819623990?IR=T

Moving Star Wars elsewhere and changing it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

CastorTroy wrote: »
    EA shuts down Visceral Games
    https://kotaku.com/ea-shuts-down-visceral-games-1819623990?IR=T

Moving Star Wars elsewhere and changing it
    Christ, that's a hell of a lot of people to be laying off. Hopefully between relocations and other nearby vacancies they land on their feet. :(

I wonder will Hennig maintain the Creative Director title after the move. Hell, I wonder if she'll want to given the implied shift in direction for the game. If they didn't have Anthem I would have guessed it could be moving in more of a Destiny type direction but it's hard to tell now. Then again, they're pushing it back by a decent amount of time so it could be the Star Wars themed follow up to that title since we're due more news on it later this year.

EDIT: Not looking good on the Hennig front judging by that leaked email. :/

• Dead space well and truly dead then

EA ****ed it up with 3 anyway with its microtransaction bull****

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Had actually been quite intrigued by the prospect of a linear, story-driven SW games with talented folk involved.

But of course it was never going to happen,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,459 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

ever wanted to see Darth Vader in polka dots?

now you can with new Force Crates!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Also: another reminder why it's absolutely goddamn vital Nintendo keep doing what they're doing while most other AAA publishers are doing their ****ing best to turn everything into sludge.

Also: another reminder why it's absolutely goddamn vital Nintendo keep doing what they're doing while most other AAA publishers are doing their ****ing best to turn everything into sludge.
    Hell, any publisher willing to properly invest in a tight, single player focused title is good in my book. I know Sony tend to pump money into these kinds of games to serve as hardware sellers but if the alternative it this or even this heinous crap, then keep'em coming please.

Nintendo are just as bad as anyone else. The recent season pass for Zelda is the kind of thing that if Activision did it, everyone would be jumping down their throat. Putting a difficulty level behind a pay wall is the ultimate cheap trick. And sure, Nintendo doesn't yet have loot crates, but they have Amiibos which are a lot like them. Spend real world money on a toy that unlocks in game content.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Switch and what has been done with it but Nintendo are the same as all the others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Dead space well and truly dead then

EA ****ed it up with 3 anyway with its microtransaction bull****

Never spent an extra cent on Dead Space 3 (apart from the story DLC, Awakened, which was excellent) and never noticed any push for microtransaction in it tbh. I think its deviation away from the tense, horror style of the first two to being an all out action, shooter was the bigger problem. Awakened brought back the horror of the first two games and was a much more satisfying experience than the main game imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Jim Sterlings video on EA / Visceral.

• Never spent an extra cent on Dead Space 3 (apart from the story DLC, Awakened, which was excellent) and never noticed any push for microtransaction in it tbh. I think its deviation away from the tense, horror style of the first two to being an all out action, shooter was the bigger problem. Awakened brought back the horror of the first two games and was a much more satisfying experience than the main game imo.

Again, individual cases here. You may not have. Others did.
    And ultimately when your crafting system is ripped apart forcefully by a publisher and solely based around crafting aka microtransactions then it ****s up the fanbase.

The game was completely different mechanically to how you used to have to tactically dismember the monsters in both 1 & 2 and carefully plan spending upgrade points on each weapon.

In dead space 3 all you needed to do was build the biggest gun using a parts system and shoot them anywhere. The game-play mechanic that made DS 1 & 2 the game it is was no longer relevant. It just became another generic 3rd person shooter.

The game was ruined because of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can't say I'll miss Visceral games, the only game they made that I really think was great was Future Cop LAPD. Dead Space was a decent game that got decent but not great reviews at the time that somehow has retroactively become a classic that it never was. It's good but it's a poor mans Resi 4 and has lots of issues. Dead Space 2 was decent as well but couldn't call it a classic either.

Still it's not good that so many people are being let go and the studio was given a poison chalice with BF Hardline. I feel the failure of that game was not due to the development studio and more the execs that forced the project on them which is ultimately why they are closing. Ditto with Dead Space 3. I feel Visceral had a lot more to offer and had a classic game in them, especially with Amy Hennig on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I reckon the Star Wars game will be even more full of loot boxes and other such nonsense.

On the Dead Space 3 side of things, the game's Creative Director did an interview with Eurogamer earlier in the year where he talked about publisher-level interference in the project.

Long story short, the crafting changes were certainly thematically different and arguably at odds with what the series had already established but the push for more action-based co-op gameplay, the dramatic change in tone from its survival horror roots and the abandoning of the psychosis-aspect of said horror elements meant the game was always drifting away from what, arguably, made the series great in the first place and was why we were never going to get the game the team really wanted to make.

As for the closure of Visceral marking the death of the series, arguably that happened when most of the leads on the project began to leave after the first game.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Can't say I'll miss Visceral games, the only game they made that I really think was great was Future Cop LAPD. Dead Space was a decent game that got decent but not great reviews at the time that somehow has retroactively become a classic that it never was. It's good but it's a poor mans Resi 4 and has lots of issues. Dead Space 2 was decent as well but couldn't call it a classic either.

Still it's not good that so many people are being let go and the studio was given a poison chalice with BF Hardline. I feel the failure of that game was not due to the development studio and more the execs that forced the project on them which is ultimately why they are closing. Ditto with Dead Space 3. I feel Visceral had a lot more to offer and had a classic game in them, especially with Amy Hennig on board.
    Even then, that wasn't Visceral per say, that was just EA Redwood Shores, the team that was based at their HQ in California. The rebranding only came after The Godfather II, released a year after Dead Space, and even then, the team composition would changed rather significantly over that period. As I mentioned above, even Glen Schofield, who is credited as creating and Executive Producing Dead Space, left after the first game was released to found Sledgehammer Games.

As for their AAA output, let's not forget Dante's Inferno. :o

The fact they make
    In its current form, it was shaping up to be a story-based, linear adventure game
    sound like it's a bad thing dosn't bode well for it. I would like a story based linear adventure game. Would love to know who was playtesting. And what were they playtesting in a gme due out in 2019?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Digital Foundry Shadow of War Xbox One X/ PS4 Pro analysis.

Boom :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Sony releasing a Mini PS4 controller for younger gamers, or those with teeny tiny hands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Sony releasing a Mini PS4 controller for younger gamers, or those with teeny tiny hands.

Finally...........uh for my kids :o

• Advertisement

Not specifically gaming related but I know a lot of news comes from/through there.
    But seems neogaf is gone into meltdown with the owner being accused of sexual abuse and fallout including admins leaving
    https://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/neogaf-owner-now-accused-of-sexual-abuse-statement-33411588/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Not specifically gaming related but I know a lot of news comes from/through there.
    But seems neogaf is gone into meltdown with the owner being accused of sexual abuse and fallout including admins leaving
    https://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/neogaf-owner-now-accused-of-sexual-abuse-statement-33411588/

Good riddance to that dump of a site. The irony is delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Nyum Nyum wrote: »
    Good riddance to that dump of a site. The irony is delicious.

What makes you say that? It was one of the best sources for gaming news around.

It was a site with a hugely self inflated opinion of itself, quick to start witch hunts against people and lecture about morals while all along the owner is somewhat shady, to say the least, let alone the way they covered up about a paedophile ex moderator, dished out bans for literally nothing......the list goes on.

Nothing of value has been lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Once you find it you soon realise it's probably where most gaming sites get their news & updates first.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Nyum Nyum wrote: »

It was a site with a hugely self inflated opinion of itself, quick to start witch hunts against people and lecture about morals while all along the owner is somewhat shady, to say the least, let alone the way they covered up about a paedophile ex moderator, dished out bans for literally nothing......the list goes on.

Nothing of value has been lost.

Whatever about it's failings, and to be honest I don't disagree with the things you've said here, it's just wrong to say NOTHING of value has been lost. As I said it was one of the best news sources on the internet for gaming, that appears to now be gone. It's easy to ignore all the moralising if it annoys you.

It's easy to ignore all the moralising if it annoys you.

It felt like half the posts were about games and the other half were about them being dreadfully offended by something.

The hypocrisy was unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Seph503

Whatever about it's failings, and to be honest I don't disagree with the things you've said here, it's just wrong to say NOTHING of value has been lost. As I said it was one of the best news sources on the internet for gaming, that appears to now be gone. It's easy to ignore all the moralising if it annoys you.

I'm going to miss the OTs; Lego, DBS, Football, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Shame, it had such a big active userbase that even niche games got a lot of discussion. Anything comparable in size wasn't as good since most places online its too easy for a topic to get derailed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

megaten wrote: »
    Shame, it had such a big active userbase that even niche games got a lot of discussion. Anything comparable in size wasn't as good since most places online its too easy for a topic to get derailed.

a sizable amount of niche stuff wasnt allowed to be discussed there at all, that was th beginning of the end for the site

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement