Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Just heard the news. NEOGAF was/is a great site for news, information and leaks. I'm not a member myself but I would often use it as a source for information. OK, it seems the owner is a scumbag and some members might be muppets but that doesn't mean the site itself is bad. I hope something better is formed from its ashes. The site is down right now, probably won't reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Sieghardt wrote: »
    a sizable amount of niche stuff wasnt allowed to be discussed there at all, that was th beginning of the end for the site

You talking about gaming-related stuff? Example? Never saw anything like that.

sligeach wrote: »
    Just heard the news. NEOGAF was/is a great site for news, information and leaks. I'm not a member myself but I would often use it as a source for information. OK, it seems the owner is a scumbag and some members might be muppets but that doesn't mean the site itself is bad. I hope something better is formed from its ashes. The site is down right now, probably won't reopen.

Basically this. The gaming forum could effectively be used as a news aggregator which was really useful, and as you mention it's seen plenty of leaks over the years too. I'm certainly going to miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Well now I'm gonna be bored without neogaf!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

You talking about gaming-related stuff? Example? Never saw anything like that.

People werent allowed to post about games like Criminal Girls, Dungeon Travellers 2. They even banned staff from XSeed games from posting there for defending their games

• Registered Users Posts: 29,844 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ah bollox, NeoGAF was one of just a few tabs always open on my phone. Yeah it was up its own whole, tried signing up a few times and seemed like you had to have a relation in a secret sect to give you a nod. Definitely the best site for gaming news, I got most of my Yakuza news from there and learned a lot about the series. The OT's always had a lot of useful info of you were looking into a specific game.

There was a lot of knobs on there but the same as any yank forum, same amount of offensive assholes as people just waiting to be offended by something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Sieghardt wrote: »
    People werent allowed to post about games like Criminal Girls, Dungeon Travellers 2. They even banned staff from XSeed games from posting there for defending their games

Fair enough, didn't know that. What was the problem with those particular games, did they have some awful business model?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It's like the anti gay politicians in the 90s in the US, they'd preach and then be found in bed with some underage male prostitute.

It isn't even the first time, it's like the 4th that one of the Mods/admins was outed for this stuff after they were leading the blacklist that lead to gamergate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I liked the OT's. What's the next best resource online?
    Just browsing /r/games and it seems ok but the Reddit structure bugs me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

To quote my favourite TV show "Farewell our **** and useless servant"

Love neogaf for gaming and off topic section :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I wasn't a member but found it handy for news stories without having to go to multiple other sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

NeoGAF was like a news feed for everything. You didn't have to go hunting across the web for any info. If it was information worth knowing in gaming, NG had it and usually before most other places. That said, the moderation and the hive mentality meant it was a very frustrating place to be as you couldn't express your opinion if it was contrary to hive.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I wasn't a member but found it handy for news stories without having to go to multiple other sites.

Neogaf was perfect for everything 1 stop shop for everything

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Apparently the owner turned down 10 mil to sell the site. :D

Place was a Sony echo chamber. Good riddance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Balls. In 2013 when MS messed up. MS were being ripped apart and rightly so. The same **** happened with PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

Been an active member of the site since its was Gaming-Age forum.
    Some great gaming discussions and technical information, as said the OT for new release games were outstanding.
    If the whole site it gone along with all those great threads it'll be a loss IMO.

Facepunch looks like a decent replacement with similar gaming and OT sections and discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I must have been living under a rock for the last however many years. Love games and live on the internet. Never accessed Neogaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Damn straight. A Playstation fortress of pure toxicity. Bon voyage :)

Grand place for leaks buts that's about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Notorious wrote: »
    I must have been living under a rock for the last however many years. Love games and live on the internet. Never accessed Neogaf.

I'm the same, never saw the significance of the site at all, just another one, never attracted my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I get all my info from you lot :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I'm going to miss the site a lot. I never bothered to join but I read the Gaming forum everyday. I also really enjoyed the Off Topic section too. It was a great source of interesting news articles from every corner of the globe. I don't know what site will replace Off Topic for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

The OT threads were a great source of info for games, I'll definitely miss those at times but it was an extremely knee-jerk reactionary forum.

On the whole though, for an enthusiast forum, there was an extreme amount of ignorance on display there in regards to the gaming industry itself. I'll miss that too I guess, some of it was so outrageous it was funny :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Notorious wrote: »

I'd never go direct to the site, occasionally access it from something linked on reddit.

r/games and r/gaming (for the lighthearted content) pretty much all I use.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yeah, Neogaf is a site I've heard of, but I don't think I ever visited it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

The OT threads were a great source of info for games, I'll definitely miss those at times but it was an extremely knee-jerk reactionary forum.

On the whole though, for an enthusiast forum, there was an extreme amount of ignorance on display there in regards to the gaming industry itself. I'll miss that too I guess, some of it was so outrageous it was funny :)

Yeah, lots of closed minded posters on there. I get the VR medium isn't for every gamer, but the dismissiveness and hatred many people shown on there towards something some of them never even tried quite mind blowing.

• Some week for gaming!

Wolfenstien 2 & Mario Odyssey!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Some week for gaming!

Wolfenstien 2 & Mario Odyssey!!!!

And Assassin's Creed Origins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

And Assassin's Creed Origins :)

AC and Mario for me!
    AC first though, probably Mario at Xmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,912 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Neither for me - will pick up wolfenstein around Christmas. Mario would require me to buy a Switch, which I want be can't afford/justify.

Fell of the AC bandwagon when AC3 came out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah if AC Origins starts getting rave reviews I'll consider picking it up in the future, but my interest in it so far has been pretty much zero. Barely even watched the gameplay trailer from E3.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement