Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

*bro hugs*

Hehe ,

I might make them watch me play Assassin's Creed for the weekend :D

The HTPC in the sitting room should play it ok , but not the office pc I have , so I have to play it on the TV in the sitting room :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

ninja 12 wrote: »
    Hehe ,

I might make them watch me play Assassin's Creed for the weekend :D

The HTPC in the sitting room should play it ok , but not the office pc I have , so I have to play it on the TV in the sitting room :D

Send them out for night.... Sorted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,762 ✭✭✭✭Penn

ERG89 wrote: »
    Ah we know it would be 2 or 3 variants of tailing missions. God I hate those with a passion :mad:
    But I was surprised that Origins after an extra year in development than usual looked so similar to past titles.

That was the worst bit of Black Flag. Felt like half the land missions were "Tail these f*ckers and eavesdrop on them by staying within a set distance as they stroll through this area with a load of bushes and stopping periodically for no reason"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've Mario Odyssey to look forward to but I'm really busy this weekend, do I'm not likely to get to play it much.
    I've a massive catalogue of games waiting for attention too, so it might just end up in the pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

The AC games along side Dead Space are 2 series which I felt I should love but I tried the first 2 of each series and gave up fairly early on in both
    Would Black Flag change my mind as that gets mentioned a lot as being the best one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Dead Space was good but different, but admittedly I was always glad they were over when I finished them. I also played all three.

One thing about them though which may be a good thing or bad depending on how you look at it was the enemies, like you would be going along and figured out how to kill the enemy and would start thinking this is quite good and next thing you come across a new harder enemy. Some people like that, I have mixed feelings on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Skerries wrote: »
    The AC games along side Dead Space are 2 series which I felt I should love but I tried the first 2 of each series and gave up fairly early on in both
    Would Black Flag change my mind as that gets mentioned a lot as being the best one?

I wouldn't go by impressions of the first Assassin's creed game. It's absolute garbage and one of the worst games I played last gen.

The series improved massively with Assassin's Creed 2, miraculously even as the first game was so bad. Black Flag is basically Assassin's Creed with pirate silliness and sea shanties (I'm not making the last part up).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Black Flag is a great Pirate game set in the AC universe, I'm currently 74% of the way through it as I type and definitely enjoying it. As someone who has rinsed the previous entries in the series and enjoyed them all to varying degrees, I'd rate Brotherhood as the best title to this point. It's the most polished Assassin-focused entry in the series imo before the bloat of Revelations and the complete misfire that was Connor in AC3.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I wouldn't go by impressions of the first Assassin's creed game. It's absolute garbage and one of the worst games I played last gen
    Ah here, hyperbole much or did you only play AC1 and Resident Evil 6 all last gen? :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Oh please do give black flag a shot, the game is so much fun!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

gizmo wrote: »
    Ah here, hyperbole much or did you only play AC1 and Resident Evil 6 all last gen? :P

No Hyperbole. I generally avoid bad games and out of everything that came out last gen Assassin's Creed and Resident Evil 6 were far and away the worst games I played. Without any hyperbole they are both were utter garbage.

Assassin's Creed was a boring slog. Resident Evil 6 was worse because not only was it boring it also barely functioned as a game.

There is probably worse from last gen (I'd love to find out just how bad hour of Victory was) but out of the games I did play those two stand out as being the worst by a massive margin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

No Hyperbole. I generally avoid bad games and out of everything that came out last gen Assassin's Creed and Resident Evil 6 were far and away the worst games I played. Without any hyperbole they are both were utter garbage.

Assassin's Creed was a boring slog. Resident Evil 6 was worse because not only was it boring it also barely functioned as a game.

There is probably worse from last gen (I'd love to find out just how bad hour of Victory was) but out of the games I did play those two stand out as being the worst by a massive margin.
    Ah, I'm not sure whether I'm jealous or not then. I don't think I played anything truly awful last gen but I did slog through a whole lot of mediocre rubbish. Inversion, Legendary, Kane & Lynch and Neverdead are somewhat freshest in my mind. I didn't play Hour of Victory, closest I probably got was the demo of Turning Point: Fall of Liberty and even that was too much. There was Duke Nukem Forever though...

In any case, while most of those games were a mix of both technical and design failures, I guess I cut Assassins Creed a little slack as its become evident that it ended up being little more than a tech demo where they simply ran out of time to build a full game around the engine they had created. I did find the core of the game to be extremely good fun though, movement around city and the main assassination missions, but the missions required to unlock these were so poorly executed and repeated to a nauseating degree that it's become difficult to recommend now, especially in light of the considerably superior sequels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I wouldn't go by impressions of the first Assassin's creed game. It's absolute garbage and one of the worst games I played last gen.
    The first was an incredible game IMO. Fantastic story that kicked off a franchise. I was so immersed in what was happening in the present and the past and had loads of questions along the way.

There wasn't anything like it at that time. It was one of the first games to showcase parkour and have a somewhat unique climbing system.

It's easy to look back now and say it's trash because there is so much that it can be compared to in the last 10 years.

I'd replay it today and recommend others play 1 & 2 for the story.

The first was an incredible game IMO. Fantastic story that kicked off a franchise. I was so immersed in what was happening in the present and the past and had loads of questions along the way.

There wasn't anything like it at that time. It was one of the first games to showcase parkour and have a somewhat unique climbing system.

It's easy to look back now and say it's trash because there is so much that it can be compared to in the last 10 years.

Felt like an unfinished tech demo to me. The parkour was great but everything else it was built around was boring and so limited. It was made out to look like a hitman game set in the crusades but even the assassination missions were boring and scripted. It didn't help that the incredible blood money was out around the same time and was the game AC should have been.

Thankfully the sequel realised the games potential.

• @Failsafe
    The Gameplay is monotonous repetition, especially in the first 2 games. The story may have been decent but it's a slog to play.
    How many times do I need to walk behind some dude over and over and over. That was literally the mission structure for 90% of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

AC1 had the best tv trailer of all them as well. Teardrop by massive attack. The first time we saw the cut off finger and hidden blade.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,762 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The first game had many good points and moments, but f*ck me the mission structure was so repetitive, the cities were bland and the fighting was boring. The story when viewed as a whole was good but it was a struggle to get through while playing the game, with dull characters. The actual fundamentals of the gameplay were great, especially as you say the climbing and parkour, but it was never used to any great effect.

AC2 is one of my favourite games of all time. It took everything good about AC1 and improved it, fixed all the bad things about AC1, and then added in a whole bunch of new things, which all worked brilliantly. The story and characters were fantastic, the cities felt far more alive and vibrant, the gameplay and weapons were greatly expanded on, far more varied types of missions... It was such an impressive leap for the franchise.
    Jamiekelly wrote: »
    AC1 had the best tv trailer of all them as well. Teardrop by massive attack. The first time we saw the cut off finger and hidden blade.

They've done incredible trailers for most of the games in fairness to them. My personal favourite is the one for Revelations:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'm gonna pick up Origins on Friday. AC3 & Unity were poor. But loved 2, Brotherhood, Black Flag & Syndicate. Plus the year off helps, as there's been quite a big gap since I have played one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,469 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2017/October/Nintendo-eShop-sale-Halloween-Sale-2017-1296082.html

Very disappointing sale. Would it kill Nintendo to knock 50% off their games and to include more? There's a few good discounts but otherwise...meh. Like the NES and SNES game discounts are pitiful. Why would someone buy them when a lot of them are on the respective Classic Mini's?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

sligeach wrote: »

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2017/October/Nintendo-eShop-sale-Halloween-Sale-2017-1296082.html

Very disappointing sale. Would it kill Nintendo to knock 50% off their games and to include more? There's a few good discounts but otherwise...meh. Like the NES and SNES game discounts are pitiful. Why would someone buy them when a lot of them are on the respective Classic Mini's?
    Welcome back sljgeach.. Did you buy a switch yet

Welcome back sljgeach.. Did you buy a switch yet

:) I never went away, I'm just not going near the Nintendo forum for a while. No, I haven't bought a Switch yet, I thought I might when Super Mario Odyssey comes out. It's the first real must have for me but I can live without it and to be honest I'm very disappointed with many aspects of the Switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

:) I never went away, I'm just not going near the Nintendo forum for a while. No, I haven't bought a Switch yet, I thought I might when Super Mario Odyssey comes out. It's the first real must have for me but I can live without it and to be honest I'm very disappointed with many aspects of the Switch.

Maybe this isn't the right place but I'm getting one soon and I'd be interested to hear what you are disappointed with?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/171005-Open-Letter-to-The-Escapist-Community

The Escapist have laid off all staff except Yahtzee & Encaen.
    RIP

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Maybe this isn't the right place but I'm getting one soon and I'd be interested to hear what you are disappointed with?
    I can't see much wrong with it fantastic console

I can't see much wrong with it fantastic console
    Agreed. Like I've said to a few others, best money I never spent on an Xbox One X.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Agreed. Like I've said to a few others, best money I never spent on an Xbox One X.

Well I'm getting an X as well :P

It's €330 on another console where games to me looks minimally better than on Wii U. I don't care that it's portable, for me, that's irrelevant. Dreadful online setup, even worse voice chat, limited on board memory storage, terrible battery life(though for me it wouldn't matter), no browser, no app's, no Virtual Console, no backwards compatibility, no transfer of games from Wii U/3DS to Switch. It's riddled with last gen ports, the cartridges are expensive which is passed on to the consumer, limited cartridge size(32GB), resulting in large games being partially digital.

They weren't ready at launch and still aren't. They only just now used the capture button, 8 months after launch and that is limited as well. Their paid for online service has a vague 2018 launch date. Super Mario Odyssey is their first true mega blockbuster game, again 8 months after launch.

Accessories are crazy expensive. There's limited 3rd party support, especially from Western developers. Some of the ports have been gimped, that's partly down to the Switch being weaker than the PS4/XB1.

The Joy-Con's for me are dog turd. I cannot overemphasise that. I was shocked by them. They feel awful, cheap, small and cramped. I was so disappointed. First time I've ever hated or even disliked a Nintendo controller. Which means I've to buy a Switch Pro Controller, more money. Unless, I hope they release some patch that allows Wii U Pro Controllers to be used. I'll stop here.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And looks like neogaf is back up though a mess at the moment

It's €330 on another console where to me looks minimally better than on Wii U. I don't care that it's portable, for me, that's irrelevant. Dreadful online setup, even worse voice chat, limited on board memory storage, terrible battery life(though for me it wouldn't matter), no browser, no app's, no Virtual Console, no backwards compatibility, no transfer of games from Wii U/3DS to Switch. It's riddled with last gen ports, the cartridges are expensive which is passed on to the consumer, limited cartridge size(32GB), resulting in large games being partially digital.

They weren't ready at launch and still aren't. They only just now used the capture button, 8 months after launch and that is limited as well. Their paid for online service has a vague 2018 launch date. Super Mario Odyssey is their first true mega blockbuster game, again 8 months after launch.

Accessories are crazy expensive. There's limited 3rd party support, especially from Western developers. Some of the ports have been gimped, that's partly down to the Switch being weaker than the PS4/XB1.

The Joy-Con's for me are dog turd. I cannot overemphasise that. I was shocked by them. They feel awful, cheap, small and cramped. I was so disappointed. First time I've ever hated or even disliked a Nintendo controller. Which means I've to buy a Switch Pro Controller, more money. Unless, I hope they release some patch that allows Wii U Pro Controllers to be used. I'll stop here.
    I bet you are a ball of laughs at parties 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

It's €330 on another console where to me looks minimally better than on Wii U. I don't care that it's portable, for me, that's irrelevant. Dreadful online setup, even worse voice chat, limited on board memory storage, terrible battery life(though for me it wouldn't matter), no browser, no app's, no Virtual Console, no backwards compatibility, no transfer of games from Wii U/3DS to Switch. It's riddled with last gen ports, the cartridges are expensive which is passed on to the consumer, limited cartridge size(32GB), resulting in large games being partially digital.

yet its selling incredibly well outselling both the xbox and ps4 month to month

also the capture button has been working since day one for screenshots
    they recently add the ability to capture video

• Advertisement

The Animal Crossing Direct just finished. I'll see if I can find a link on Youtube. Bad timing to air it for us in Europe.

Animal Crossing Mobile Direct Oct.24.2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr2wXiwgNd0

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement