Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Jeremiah Johnson isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Total War developers will be making Warhammer games!

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/total-war-developer-to-make-warhammer-games-6401161

There is no emoticon for the joy I'm feeling!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Saw that....its finally occured :D ......maybe they Mayans were right.....I dont think the world could handle a CA developed Warhammer strategy game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

humanji wrote: »
    Total War developers will be making Warhammer games!

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/total-war-developer-to-make-warhammer-games-6401161

There is no emoticon for the joy I'm feeling!

If they do it with their normal attention to detail and actually get the universe... this could be awesome. Imagine Total War: 40K, Ork Waagh/Tyranid invasion campaign, thousands of Orks or Tyranids swarming around the place. Mmmmm. Animal.

[edit: Well, ****bags. In my enthusiasm, I didn't notice that this doesn't include Warhammer 40K. Crud

Still, one can hope for the future.]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well Tyranids of WH is Skaven. Unlimited numbers of small buggers with some big monster in between; only difference is Skaven also got awesome guns to match (or you could make a case for Lizardmen and Undead as well I guess)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Nody wrote: »
    Well Tyranids of WH is Skaven. Unlimited numbers of small buggers with some big monster in between; only difference is Skaven also got awesome guns to match (or you could make a case for Lizardmen and Undead as well I guess)...

Yeah, I like Warhammer, but I'd much prefer the 40K universe. I'll still play the sh*te out of this, assuming it's in any way decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Glad 40k is staying with relic.

Eurocom have gone fully now, 75% redundancies last month was not enough to keep them going with the rest of the staff being let go now with them ceasing trading.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

New South Park: Stick of Truth trailer up. Looks brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Hrm, I don't want to derail the Steambox thread or bring back the abomination that was the PC v Console cost thread so I'll just chuck this in here...

PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

gizmo wrote: »
    Hrm, I don't want to derail the Steambox thread or bring back the abomination that was the PC v Console cost thread so I'll just chuck this in here...

After the clusterfuck that was the Cell, I'm glad Sony have decided to stop taking all the drugs when designing their hardware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

3D and 1080P? That's a little doubtful. The A10 just about qualifies at 1080p with most except a few games running at that resolution. With optimisation, I would have faith that it could be done, but 3D on the other hand... although I suppose they could just do side-by-side or top-bottom so you'd only have half the pixels to process. Could be possible for present games, but I doubt we'll see any revolutions in graphics with that power.

I thought that you were seriously doubting AMD APUs in the PS4 gizmo? Irrc you passed some comment about eating your hat if it was true.

Mind you dev kit doesn't really mean the same as final product.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Monotype wrote: »
    3D and 1080P? That's a little doubtful. The A10 just about qualifies at 1080p with most except a few games running at that resolution. With optimisation, I would have faith that it could be done, but 3D on the other hand... although I suppose they could just do side-by-side or top-bottom so you'd only have half the pixels to process. Could be possible for present games, but I doubt we'll see any revolutions in graphics with that power.

If you take "1080p60 games" to mean 30 1080p frames for the left eye and 30 for the right then it becomes a bit more believable.

I thought that you were seriously doubting AMD APUs in the PS4 gizmo? Irrc you passed some comment about eating your hat if it was true.

I said I'd eat my hat if it had been an A8-3850 paired with a Radeon HD7770, an A10-based chip is closer to what I had heard about the latest round of dev kits which is a totally different animal, nevermind the fact that they make no mention of the GPU yet.

As for general performance and what to expect, while I too am skeptical of 1080p@60 in 3D, remember, the Xenos GPU in the 360 was "based" on the Radeon R520 design too, good luck running Far Cry 3 on an X1800. :)

Think he said A8 in particular, but that's hat eating close so I say he has to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Oh, well that makes sense. Quite unlikely that they'd pair an APU with a dedicated card. Seems that they're going the Nintendo route and selling it for low cost at launch.

Oh, well that makes sense. Quite unlikely that they'd pair an APU with a dedicated card. Seems that they're going the Nintendo route and selling it for low cost at launch.
    On the contrary, the rumour is that they'll pair the APU with a discrete mid-range GPU. Should be interesting to see how that one plays out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

hmmm they are saying that the third version will ship next summer. somehow its doubtful we will see ps4/xbox at next xmas season.

A10 with 8gb ram. sounds not bad for a console. still though, it is nothing that would make any gaming pc sweat even with optimisation of consoles.

i really hope they will learn from current gen and make it more stream lined and simple to work with.

They'll have to, Nintendo did something odd for them and sold at a loss. The PS4 will likely be more expensive but that'll have a lot to do with the market they're targeting.

They'll likely get away with charging a bit higher than the Wii U and MS will likely be able to do the same but I don't think they will.

hmmm they are saying that the third version will ship next summer. somehow its doubtful we will see ps4/xbox at next xmas season.

A10 with 8gb ram. sounds not bad for a console. still though, it is nothing that would make any gaming pc sweat even with optimisation of consoles.

i really hope they will learn from current gen and make it more stream lined and simple to work with.
    I'd imagine the PS/Orbis/Thebes hardware that ships in January will be close enough to final spec that the Summer release will just be the same guts inside a more official chasis. That being said, the current rumour mill is also speculating a Spring 2014 release for the console which is said to be after the the next XBox. My money is certainly on a Holiday 2013 release for the latter.

As for the hardware itself, it's not an A10 chip, it's a chip based on the A10 design. As I said above, the Xenos GPU in the 360 was based on the Radeon R520 design too but that doesn't mean it was anywhere close to the performance profile of the desktop parts which shipped from that design.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. license changes hands

Interesting one alright. The wording of the press release is slightly iffy so I guess it'll come down to which developer they tap for future iterations. Vostok may be busy with Survarium but 4A will be freed up post-Last Light and already have significant experience in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Stalker: Modern Combat

THQ's stocks price has gone up by around 30% from what it was before the humble bundle, hit $1.40 which is great as it's was in danger off dropping below $1 at which point it would be de-listed.

The did a 10-to-one reverse stock split a few months ago, turning the 70m shares into 7m, changing the share price from $0.51/share stock into $5.16/share which drop until recently improving with the $5m from the humble bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

www.ftlgame.com $4.99

You get it DRM free and Steam Key

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's a fantastic game, and definitely worth $5.

What a depressing image...

MCV's believe it or not

MCV's believe it or not

wow

i knew black ops 2 will attract a lot of sheep, but not that much sheep :(.

its a shame to see vita sales to be bad too, but they compare AC3 all formats vs handheld games. i dont know how fare it is. and yeah, Ps vita needs better games and better prices on games.

MCV's believe it or not

Wow, I knew Skylanders was selling gangbusters, but I'd no idea it's sales figures were that impressive.

Not sure why you'd call it a depressing image, though.

its a shame to see vita sales to be bad too, but they compare AC3 all formats vs handheld games. i dont know how fare it is. and yeah, Ps vita needs better games and better prices on games.
    Well under normal circumstances I'd say it's unfair to compare the total sales for all games on two platforms to the total sales of one game on all platforms but with AC3 selling selling over 7 million copies as of a few days ago it shows not only how popular that game is but also how piss poor the Vita is doing. Bit early to rail on the WiiU I guess although I did see the first second hand model in the window of CEX yesterday. :o
    Wow, I knew Skylanders was selling gangbusters, but I'd no idea it's sales figures were that impressive.

Not sure why you'd call it a depressing image, though.
    Aye, Skylanders has turned out to be a massive earner for Activision. While I was initially pretty sceptical of it, the more I thought about it the more I realised that, as kid, the ability to combine my GI Joes with my video games would have been ****ing amazing. :D

As for being depressed, it's more directed at the fact that it's figures like that which will be used by some publishers to continuously dictate design decisions in future games rather than realising that aping the likes of CoD isn't the recipe for success that they imagine.

Aye, that's the thing, they wil see: omfg cod and assassin creed are just money bags! Lets be like then! And shockingly I don't even own both of those games...
    More and more debs will go with safe bet and go with clones/bullet prove receipes for masses.

Vita sales do disappoint me too :(. I want it to do good, but the stunt activision pulled with black ops was just a fecking madness. I will be honest, Would play in bed on my vita setting like black ops. It's great for jump in jump out sessions. They had quite a chance to make a killer game for vita, they pooped it.

• Advertisement

Aye, Skylanders has turned out to be a massive earner for Activision. While I was initially pretty sceptical of it, the more I thought about it the more I realised that, as kid, the ability to combine my GI Joes with my video games would have been ****ing amazing. :D

It's not a bad game either
    As for being depressed, it's more directed at the fact that it's figures like that which will be used by some publishers to continuously dictate design decisions in future games rather than realising that aping the likes of CoD isn't the recipe for success that they imagine.

Ok, but....
    When has this ever not been the case?
    Games, like every other entertainment medium is very much trend driven, it's not really a bad thing.
    It's just a the way things are and have always been.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement