Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭Evade

Billy86 wrote: »
    one thing I just can't get my head around is the lack of a pause option
    You can't pause but you can quit to the game's main menu and when you load the game it will be the way it was when you quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It's not a bad thing but this is the generation of remasters and it isn't born from a good will to provide games to people who missed them or from a wish to see online communities thrive. Their primary target is double-dippers who are missing the quality of last generation's titles but too stubborn to or locked into their platform (Sony been working hard on that like Apple) to leave or boot up their PS3 again. If Sony or any of the publishers really cared they'd add more backwards compatibility as someone else said. But they'll close the original servers and (probably) making yet another 'remaster' to suck on that nostalgia tit. People will be buying Demon's Souls/whatever else as a 5K remaster on PS5 someday with the same reasoning in your post.
    Oh don't get me wrong, I wouldn't for a second say publishers are being in the slightest bit altruistic with these releases but if you're going to make a consumer-based argument for or against them, it's important to remember there are plenty of folk out there who haven't played them before and welcome these releases in their current form. In that, I'd question whether their primary target is indeed those double dippers, surely there aren't more people willing to do that than there are those who have not played said releases before?

Of course, not all remasters are created equal as I'm sure we're all aware (sup, Silent Hill Collection) so in some cases, just having backwards compatibility would be enough but in the cases I've outlined above, the remasters have been objectively better than their original releases so it's win win for those buying in. As for a Demon's Souls 5K remaster someday, if it was rebuilt in whatever version of the engine they're working with at the time and has assets to match then sign me up, if not then I'm sure I'll be happy playing whatever Miyazaki comes up with next. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mega man 30th anniversary on now. Not to be missed apparently.

Hoping for a mega man legends 3 announcement... then fir capcom to break my heart by cancelling it again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oooohhhh December surprise: Gorogoa is finally getting released in 10 days :) If it's half as inventive and beautiful as it looks in its trailer, it'll be magnificent.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Oooohhhh December surprise: Gorogoa is finally getting released in 10 days :) If it's half as inventive and beautiful as it looks in its trailer, it'll be magnificent.

That looks deadly, but also so obtuse that I'll never get some of the puzzles.

• Advertisement

Hmmmm this caught my eye earlier, obviously Dark Souls inspired but with a twist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

For those interested in a long form article on the history of the Quake franchise, David Craddock's piece just went live on Shacknews.

Rocket Jump: Quake and the Golden Age of First-Person Shooters

Teaser for FromSoftware's next project.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Teaser for FromSoftware's next project.

PSX today isn't it? Maybe another Sony exclusive and more information later?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Psx is at stupid o'clock tonight, so be the morning before I get to see it.

It's not armour core sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hmm no Sony splash screen so might not be exclusive.

Also.... It kind of looks like a Shadow Tower game...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Hmm no Sony splash screen so might not be exclusive.

Also.... It kind of looks like a Shadow Tower game...

I read somewhere there was a Sony thing on the video but like you I didn't see one. Anyway, whatever it is count me in. I am literally buzzing right now waiting for more news on this. I'm still expecting a Demon Souls announcement at PSX.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

rumour is it's a new Tenchu

also announced was Soul Calibur 6

Soul Calibur 6 seems to be a sort of reboot going back in time and bringing back fan favourite characters who were left out of SC5 to fans disappointment

• Registered Users Posts: 29,844 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

New game from Firewatch Devs 'In The Valley of the Gods'. Looks like Firewatch set in Egypt. Not sure why the comments are disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    New game from Firewatch Devs 'In The Valley of the Gods'. Looks like Firewatch set in Egypt. Not sure why the comments are disabled.

Two women, one black, one white, wedding ring. I suppose people are thinking interracial wedded lesbians which might upset some.

Plus that developer crossed Pewdiepie so probably has a swarm of his minions in the comments too.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Two women, one black, one white, wedding ring. I suppose people are thinking interracial wedded lesbians which might upset some.

Plus that developer crossed Pewdiepie so probably has a swarm of his minions in the comments too.

I'd say they're going to be more than enough damage from that from Youtubers not showcasing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Walking simulator 2018: Sand Edition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Bambi wrote: »

Very cutting…

Anyway, Firewatch was a great little game so look forward to seeing what this one is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Probably won't be as fun as JourneySand Walking Simulator 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

nice switcheroo video

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Probably won't be as fun as JourneySand Walking Simulator 2012.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

“[The PS Vita version will] be available next year, and it’ll have cross-buy too, so if you’ve got Stardew Valley on PlayStation 4 you won’t need to buy it again to play it on your PS Vita! However, it’s worth noting that we can’t port the multiplayer update to PS Vita.”

Read more at https://gematsu.com/2017/12/stardew-valley-coming-ps-vita-2018#6r7wQapqjPymxw8f.99

Brilliant, if it's cross save as well that'll be great.

Can never take the game awards seriously. I still remember the year madden 04 won.... against competition like Wind Waker. **** right off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Can never take the game awards seriously. I still remember the year madden 04 won.... against competition like Wind Waker. **** right off.

Were you not using them to prove Botw was a better game than Horizon earlier on?

Were you not using them to prove Botw was a better game than Horizon earlier on?

Nothing wrong with cherry picking to prove your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

So PSX keynote last night...not much in the way of big reveals.

Although, Medievil is getting the Crash:N-Sane Trilogy treatment.

While all Crash did for me was prove it was a second tier platformer at least there was some fun to be had especially with the later games.

Medievil on the other hand, that game was middling when it was released and it's aged poorly since.

Sony are trying to cash in on the success of crash but the nostalgia isn't there for medievil.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I think you will be proved wrong on that assumption as Medievil was very popular and a great fun game

• Advertisement

Neither likely cost to much to develop

Only difference to Sony will be the marketing budget. Medievil won't do as well but neither really had to make them money.

The fact that Sony own this ip makes thing simpler without anyone else to get a slice of the profits.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement