Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Billy86 wrote: »
    Was 2017 just a bit of an anomaly or does Playstation routinely beat MS that ridiculously badly when it comes to exclusives? Because that's a major issue if it's the latter - going by the last 12 months or so if I had to switch from PC to console it would take less time to decide which to go with than it would to log onto Amazon and buy the PS4.

Sony tend to have many niche and a few mainstream exclusives, and then MS tend to have a couple of huge tent pole ones. So if MS is missing some of those or there's a missteps it hurts more.

MS also pushing PC a lot more recently, and especially with windows 10 and store.

Didn't look hard but I can't see any Xbox games that aren't also coming to PC, either already there on any online platform or coming to MS store alongside Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,766 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Billy86 wrote: »
    Was 2017 just a bit of an anomaly or does Playstation routinely beat MS that ridiculously badly when it comes to exclusives? Because that's a major issue if it's the latter - going by the last 12 months or so if I had to switch from PC to console it would take less time to decide which to go with than it would to log onto Amazon and buy the PS4.

2017 was definitely a big year for Sony exclusives and next year is shaping up to be similar. Microsoft do have some good exclusives, but most of them are just part of their large franchises (Gears, Halo, Forza) rather than developing new IPs like Sony does. MS also tend to go for exclusives with big multiplayer components rather than story-driven single player games, which is already a fairly saturated genre due to the big annuals/bi-annuals (COD, Battlefield) and multiplatform games.

That's where the strength in Sony's exclusives lie; story-driven single-player games from first-party studios. Uncharted, The Last of Us, Horizon, Days Gone, God of War, Spider-Man, Infamous. It's why I stick with Sony, each of those games and franchises are exactly the types of games I love playing, and the studios are among the best in the business. I was hopeful this year at E3 that Microsoft would start announcing some new exclusives and IPs of a similar ilk and standard which could help me justify getting the One X, but all we got really was Forza, Sea of Thieves (which just isn't my cup of tea) and Crackdown 3 (I loved the first Crackdown, didn't particularly enjoy the second, and the trailer for Crackdown 3 just didn't sell me on the game whatsoever).

It's an area I think Phil Spencer is trying to work on, and get some proper new AAA IPs up and running, maybe not for this gen but for next gen, and I really hope they do. But when there's so little difference really between the consoles, it's the exclusives that are a big deciding factor, and Sony have had them this gen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

If either Microsoft or Sony (or even Nintendo) do this in future generations, I'll hang up my joypads.

You buy a game, you get to play it... shouldn't be any restrictions around that.

It's already going this way. Digital sales increase every year.

Take a look at the Gamestop stores. They have revamped them to sell more gaming merchandise with less games on their shelves than previous years.

EA access and Game Pass have put a serious dent in second hand sales on Xbox. Initiatives like this will continue with more subscription services coming online.

I have bought only 3 physical copies in the last 4 years.

If either Microsoft or Sony (or even Nintendo) do this in future generations, I'll hang up my joypads.

You buy a game, you get to play it... shouldn't be any restrictions around that.
    Varik wrote: »
    The issues people had were on second hand games and requiring an internet connection. Steam/Origin/Uplay already do it but do have an offline mode.

Take a look at the Gamestop stores. They have revamped them to sell more gaming merchandise with less games on their shelves than previous years.

EA access and Game Pass have put a serious dent in second hand sales on Xbox. Initiatives like this will continue with more subscription services coming online.

I guess I was too vague...

Updates... fine.
    Digital sales... fine.
    Always online... go fcuk yourself.

GameStop selling tat is not proof that people are buying more digitally, we know that they are but the reason GameStop is now 80% cheap crap is because Argos, Smyths, Amazon, Zaavi and a dozen others are selling gmaes far, far cheaper than Smyths. It's common to see a game for 75 in GameStop and then selling for 50 everywhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

GameStop selling tat is not proof that people are buying more digitally, we know that they are but the reason GameStop is now 80% cheap crap is because Argos, Smyths, Amazon, Zaavi and a dozen others are selling gmaes far, far cheaper than Smyths. It's common to see a game for 75 in GameStop and then selling for 50 everywhere else.

So to expand on Wilfinity's post above yours: Gamestop... go fuck yourself.

This is a global Gamestop move and Gamestop are competitive in the U.S unlike here. So that doesn't stick.

You can bet before EA access and Gamepass where released there was a tonne of people buying 2nd hand EA games and other Xbox games in Gamestop.

If digital sales are growing its obvious that physical sales are falling.

EA Access - $29.99 per year.
    Gamepass - $9.99 a month for over 100 games.

This is a global Gamestop move and Gamestop are competitive in the U.S unlike here. So that doesn't stick.

You can bet before EA access and Gamepass where released there was a tonne of people buying 2nd hand EA games and other Xbox games in Gamestop.

If digital sales are growing its obvious that physical sales are falling.

EA Access - $29.99 per year.
    Gamepass - $9.99 a month for over 100 games.

I've been in Gamestop in the US recently and the level of tat they have compared to here is much smaller. They are also no more competitive over there than they are here.

I wonder if the tables were turned and it was Sony in Xbox's shoes would you be defending them as you always do with Xbox?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So basically what you are saying is that you have no evidence to back up anything you said about this beyond rumours that went around at the time. While I do think Sony changed the PS4 in light of that E3 I don't think that in the hours before their presentation that they drastically changed the direction they were planning on taking the PS4.

I didn't say there was no evidence. There was plenty of evidence just nothing concrete. We may never know what Sony was planning. What we do know is that even just before that E3 Sony's plans were so influx that even the top level managers were unsure of the consoles direction and often contradicted themselves. There's plenty of evidence of that.

https://www.wired.com/2013/02/playstation-4-used-games/

So it's hardly Wikipedia citation needed.

I've been in Gamestop in the US recently and the level of tat they have compared to here is much smaller. They are also no more competitive over there than they are here.

I wonder if the tables were turned and it was Sony in Xbox's shoes would you be defending them as you always do with Xbox?
    Well of course it is because the market is huge in the U.S compared to here. However there has been a shift globally by Gamestop to start making money from other sources around gaming which is essential for them to survive. They have been hit hard since 2013 when digital sales on Xbox and PlayStation really got into gear.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I didn't say there was no evidence. There was plenty of evidence just nothing concrete. We may never know what Sony was planning. What we do know is that even just before that E3 Sony's plans were so influx that even the top level managers were unsure of the consoles direction and often contradicted themselves. There's plenty of evidence of that.

https://www.wired.com/2013/02/playstation-4-used-games/

So it's hardly Wikipedia citation needed.

I said that you were basing it on nothing but rumours and had no evidence of anything concrete. Just because they were unsure and contradicted each other means nothing, it was still coming in the planning stages and these things are liable to change right up until the days before production begins. Does it really matter, the basic issue is that you were making assumptions based on nothing but rumor and I'm making assumptions based on not a whole lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Posted by liamdawe, 13 October 2017

Bit late.

Bit late.

Yeah for some reason it popped up in a news feed I'm subbed to. Was a cache issue. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/Persona_Central/status/943010653505228800

Catherine remake announced for PS4 and Vita featuring a 3rd Catherine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ERG89 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Persona_Central/status/943010653505228800

Catherine remake announced for PS4 and Vita featuring a 3rd Catherine.

nice, that game needs far more recognition than it got.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I just wish they'd release it on the pc. Really wanted to play it, but didn't have the right console. Might get it for the PS4 when it's released.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Game's 5 years old & has way too much cosmetic DLC (including costumes that used to be free in older games :mad:)

I'm just surprised they didn't take the time to announce DOA6.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    nice, that game needs far more recognition than it got.

Bought it for the 360 on sale in the summer, will get round to it eventually. If I enjoy it and it runs well on Vita I may get it there for the bonus content.
    With Stardew Valley(in 2018), Papers Please and Undertale all coming to Vita it's having a nice sendoff for me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

NoClip documentary on Horizon: Zero Dawn

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

ERG89 wrote: »
    Bought it for the 360 on sale in the summer, will get round to it eventually. If I enjoy it and it runs well on Vita I may get it there for the bonus content.
    With Stardew Valley(in 2018), Papers Please and Undertale all coming to Vita it's having a nice sendoff for me anyway.

Don't worry the Vita still has plenty of releases coming out in 2018, I would not say it is in its send off stage, most are cross releases but at least you still have the option.

Cuphead sells 2M copies, with physical copies incoming. Another outcome that obliterates the narrative that offline, single player experiences are not what gamers want.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,844 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Cuphead sells 2M copies, with physical copies incoming. Another outcome that obliterates the narrative that offline, single player experiences are not what gamers want.

Looks really interesting, hopefully makes it to PS4 at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Looks really interesting, hopefully makes it to PS4 at some point.

It won't be on PS4. It'll play on my Microsoft Surface so it should run on any PC without a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Doesn't really obliterate anything when it's news that it sold well.

3rd party is where these games are dying out, not 2nd or 1st where there's a additional revenue source or where they act as selling point for the system or platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

emmetkenny wrote: »
    It won't be on PS4. It'll play on my Microsoft Surface so it should run on any PC without a problem.

Swap deal! Crash trilogy for Cuphead or Ori.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

J. Marston wrote: »
    Swap deal! Crash trilogy for Cuphead or Ori.

Ori and Cuphead are two of my favourite games this generation. Two great games.

Varik wrote: »
    3rd party is where these games are dying out, not 2nd or 1st where there's a additional revenue source or where they act as selling point for the system or platform.

Be quiet... that kind of talk gets us loot boxed!

:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement