Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Varik wrote: »
    Doesn't really obliterate anything when it's news that it sold well.

3rd party is where these games are dying out, not 2nd or 1st where there's a additional revenue source or where they act as selling point for the system or platform.

Nope, 3rd parties are doing just fine with single player story based games, Persona 5, Yakuza 0, Nier Automata, Nioh, hundreds of others all raking in cash quite happily

The only people banging the "Single player games are dying" drum are the exact same ones going "Lootboxes! microtransactions! rob everyone every way you can!"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Varik wrote: »
    Doesn't really obliterate anything when it's news that it sold well.

3rd party is where these games are dying out, not 2nd or 1st where there's a additional revenue source or where they act as selling point for the system or platform.
    Sieghardt wrote: »
    Nope, 3rd parties are doing just fine with single player story based games, Persona 5, Yakuza 0, Nier Automata, Nioh, hundreds of others all raking in cash quite happily

The only people banging the "Single player games are dying" drum are the exact same ones going "Lootboxes! microtransactions! rob everyone every way you can!"

Every game you just mentioned was a console exclusive, all PlayStation and unlikely from the goodness of their publishers (who in some of those is Sony) hearts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Skerries wrote: »

Not quite. Its counting 5.2 billion from browser based PC games :P

Its also probably counting all the shovelware on Steam also. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Do you want to play as super sonic in sonic forces? (why you'd wanna play that at all is beyond me)

You can, for the small cost of 2 euro!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/12/super_sonic_is_coming_to_sonic_forces_as_dlc1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

That isn't sales, that's market value.

And then just below the market value infogram it says UK sales by platform: PS4 50.2%, Xbone 31.6%, Nintendo Switch 7.5%, Nintendo 3DS 5.3%, Xbox 360 1.6% and PC 1.3% etc.

So what is PC market value derived from seeing as it's sales are miniscule? Where are these statictics coming from? Reaching out to analysts? Without them detailing exactly where and how full and comparable these stats are they might as well say they've pulled some stats from their arse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

That isn't sales, that's market value.

And then just below the market value infogram it says UK sales by platform: PS4 50.2%, Xbone 31.6%, Nintendo Switch 7.5%, Nintendo 3DS 5.3%, Xbox 360 1.6% and PC 1.3% etc.

So what is PC market value derived from seeing as it's sales are miniscule? Where are these statictics coming from? Reaching out to analysts? Without them detailing exactly where and how full and comparable these stats are they might as well say they've pulled some stats from their arse.

You're looking at the Charttrack section, which is currently only physical sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Swatting is still a thing apparently and might have got someone killed...

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/crime/article192111974.html

That or a cop's itchy trigger finger.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

J. Marston wrote: »
    Swatting is still a thing apparently and might have got someone killed...

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/crime/article192111974.html

That or a cop's itchy trigger finger.

This was only a matter of time really, which is really sad.

I hope they throw the book at those guys, an absolutely vile act.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

https://www.kansas.com/news/local/crime/article192244734.html

It’s a little morbid, but here’s an article with the phone call to 911 and a grainy quality body-cam video of the shooting. Poor guy never had a chance.

It’s easy to say in retrospect, but the 911 call sounds bogus. The caller struggled to give out any accurate details. “Where are you in the house?”... “By the closet”.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Further proof, if ever any was needed, that America is broken in so many strange, horrifying ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

What would he be charged with? Whatever it is, hopefully it carries a lengthy sentence.
    Tyler Raj Barriss, who is known online as "SWAuTistic."

He'll be a big loss to society.

What would he be charged with? Whatever it is, hopefully it carries a lengthy sentence.

He'll be a big loss to society.

He could be charged with "depraved heart murder", I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

A range of offences thankfully. He's also eligible for that last one as, despite the fact the shooting took place in Kansas, he committed the crime while resident in LA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I know your mans an idiot and hopefully gets all he deserves but what were the cops doing shooting a guy when all he did was answer a door?

Surely the officer involved should face charges too

I read hes on paid leave atm while they sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

EoinHef wrote: »
    I know your mans an idiot and hopefully gets all he deserves but what were the cops doing shooting a guy when all he did was answer a door?

Surely the officer involved should face charges too

I read hes on paid leave atm while they sort it out.

Maybe, but there are two factors - 1) if you're an American police officer, you basically have free reign a lot of the time regardless of evidence, 2) to be more fair, the scenario that the prank call was about was a really serious situation. The guy may not have known who was at the front door (esp if he was playing a game, using headphones) and may have just casually flung it open thinking it could be anything from a neighbour to a door to door salesperson to a wrong address, etc. He also could have had a controller, remote, phone, etc in his hand that could have been mistaken for a gun... in the circumstances if that happened I can understand why the cop fired so early.

Hopefully the full weight of the law comes down on the a*sehole who set this up, it's not only dangerous for reasons like this but is a massive waste of resources in a country hardly lacking in crime.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Billy86 wrote: »
    Maybe, but there are two factors - 1) if you're an American police officer, you basically have free reign a lot of the time regardless of evidence, 2) to be more fair, the scenario that the prank call was about was a really serious situation. The guy may not have known who was at the front door (esp if he was playing a game, using headphones) and may have just casually flung it open thinking it could be anything from a neighbour to a door to door salesperson to a wrong address, etc. He also could have had a controller, remote, phone, etc in his hand that could have been mistaken for a gun... in the circumstances if that happened I can understand why the cop fired so early.

Hopefully the full weight of the law comes down on the a*sehole who set this up, it's not only dangerous for reasons like this but is a massive waste of resources in a country hardly lacking in crime.

The guy had nothing in his hands and wasn't even a gamer according to reports. He was unconnected to the spat that caused the swatting. They apparently fired because he kept lowering his hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The guy killed was totally innocent.

Two morons on cod fighting over a $2 bet on a game. One asked for the others address so he could call over. The other guy made up a fake address.

First guy calls 999 and reports that he shot his dad so they sent the cops to that address.

Poor guy ,totally unrelated sitting home minding his own business, at that address hears a load of shouting and screaming outside so opens the door. Flood light shining in his face so he couldn't see anything. He shouts something and that's enough for the cops to open fire.Two seconds later he was dead.

The thing is, the guy who made the call will have the book thrown at him. The cop is on paid leave and will get off. Despite being totally incompetent and straight up murdering someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭panevthe3rd

I thought the guy who made the call was a 3rd party. As in one of the lads involved in the bet sent him the address and had him call in the hostage situation.

It says in the article that he has a history of calling in bomb scares. He has also regularly taken money from people through PayPal to make the calls. He's like a swatter for hire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I thought the guy who made the call was a 3rd party. As in one of the lads involved in the bet sent him the address and had him call in the hostage situation.

It says in the article that he has a history of calling in bomb scares. He has also regularly taken money from people through PayPal to make the calls. He's like a swatter for hire.

I'd be happy to see 10 years minimum, and I'm usually more of the lenient type on that end. You'd have to question the mental stability of people hiring this kind of guy, but as scummy as that is this type of chap really must be the lowest of the low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,062 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

According to this article, a swatter could face charges of 'extortion, public mischief, and criminal harassment'. However, in this case, where someone was killed, it wouldn't surprise me if they went for a manslaughter charge, either constructive manslaughter, or criminally negligent manslaughter, more than likely the latter, as the person who orchestrated it doesn't have to be the person who killed. Either way, he should be locked up and never let out, he's a serial swatter, and gets paid by other people to do it. Fcuk him in a hole and let him rot.

As for the shooting itself, he was lowering his arms when he came out, and 'Merica being 'Merica, that is taken as a sign of threat in those situations, and the book says shoot. He had nothing to do with the 2 that were having the spat on CoD, and SWAuTistic is a 3rd party who does this for a living. Horrible for the man who was shot, as he wasn't a gamer and his address was given

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Capcom say they will remake Dino Crisis if enough people want it

https://twitter.com/dev1_official/status/946950859413364736

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I would definitely buy that. Loved the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

315 followers, not verified, created a week ago says "follow plz" in bio

SEEMS LEGIT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

I was searching for Vampire games for the PS4 and came up with two in the pipeline for 2018; Code Vein from the same publishers of Dark Souls and Vampyr.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_Vein

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampyr_(video_game)

I have to say Vampyr seems more like my type of game but seems to have had its troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,844 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Really looking forward to Vampyr, sounds like the masquerade: bloodlines, very ambitious sounding. Devs DontNod have my hopes up as well, makers of life is strange. Disappointed it was pushed back but better to get fixes in place first. Hopefully no more delays though and we get it in q1 or q2 as currently scheduled.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Really looking forward to Vampyr, sounds like the masquerade: bloodlines, very ambitious sounding. Devs DontNod have my hopes up as well, makers of life is strange. Disappointed it was pushed back but better to get fixes in place first. Hopefully no more delays though and we get it in q1 or q2 as currently scheduled.

It sounds nothing like Bloodlines, Bloodlines was a PC only game, Vampyr looks like another mediocre console port

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Personally it sounds like an actual RPG where there is genuine choice and interaction in the gameplay. I imagine that was the comparison being made to Masquerade.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Personally it sounds like an actual RPG where there is genuine choice and interaction in the gameplay. I imagine that was the comparison being made to Masquerade.

Not from the footage I've seen, Bloodlines is probably the best RPG in its genre, Vampyr looks like a clumsy attempt at something similar

• Advertisement

Hopefully they'll do a director's cut type remake.... With EXTRA dinosaurs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement