Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do other countries like our accent

• 11-01-2012 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hey fine people of after hours I always wondered why people find the Irish accent attractive, the accent was voted the sexiest in the world this year, it confuses me but I'm not complaining :) Any ideas or thoughts, cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Farreller has alot to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I suppose its kinda hokey, quaint and inoffensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Hey fine people of after hours I always wondered why people find the Irish accent attractive, the accent was voted the sexiest in the world this year, it confuses me but I'm not complaining :) Any ideas or thoughts, cheers :)

Your right there's nothing like the sultry tones of "alrii love" and "how's your growler??" that's damn sexy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm not complaining :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Daniel O'Donnell, he's got a lovely accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Maybe its something about how people associate different things when they hear an accent.

South African - Racism (bad)
    English - Football hooliganism (bad)
    Germans speaking Engish - On-screen nazis (bad)
    Irish accent - Booze (Good times)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Maybe its something about how people associate different things when they hear an accent.

South African - Racism (bad)
    English - Football hooliganism (bad)
    Germans speaking Engish - On-screen nazis (bad)

Yes, as soon as I hear the voice of either David Gower or Nicholas Parsons I immediately think of yobs throwing traffic cones at each other outside of a football ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Same with Scottish

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

Lets get it right, they love the culchie accent! #JustSayin

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

It's supposed to be charming I think...and lyrical...makes what we say more poetical...or some other load of baloney like that

Altho to be fair my favorite accents are prob northey and Scottish ones which could be considered kinda similar to ours

CNNgo describes it as

Valued slightly more in men than in women, the Irish brogue is a lilting, lyrical articulation that’s charming, if not exotic. Fluid and uplifting, it can swing from vulnerable to threatening over the course of a sentence, restoring your faith in the world again … right before it stabs you with a broken bottle top.

Sounds like: A marauding pixie

Altho we only get 6th sexiest by their pole...disgraceful

http://www.cnngo.com/explorations/life/worlds-sexiest-accents-130333?page=0,1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

Sometimes I think they get mixed up and think we all have that Northern Ireland accent :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Ah yes, the Irish accent (singular).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

I have come to the conclusion its because they think we all have bodies like Brad Pitt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Maybe because some Irish accents are actually quite pleasant.

In general, Americans tend to just find Irish and British accents interesting and exotic because they only ever hear them on the TV and in movies.

The vast majority of US English speakers have incredibly standard accents. Where as Ireland and the UK have accents that change every half mile.

Similar in Australia too, because it was settled so recently and because people are so mobile the accent's very uniform across the whole country.

The only areas of the US that tend to have unusual accents are places like Boston, NYC, Louisiana, Texas etc etc... i.e. the older states.

The majority of US broadcasters have accents that are almost non-geographically definable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

A Fish called Wanda. Do you speak Italian?

http://youtu.be/qMLYTZNmUmw

Advertisement