Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estates exempt from household charge

Options
  • 11-01-2012 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭

https://www.householdcharge.ie/UHE/Kildare.pdf

My estate isn't on it even though road isn't finished.

All houses have a roof but some I hate to think what they are like inside.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

My estate not on it either. Didn't expect it to but I'm still not paying it. The council have not taken my 17 year old estate in charge so why the hell should I? Why should I pay for services that the council won't provide by not taking the estate over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Just checked and our estate is on the UHE list. That's €100 saved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,812 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Orion wrote: »
    My estate not on it either. Didn't expect it to but I'm still not paying it. The council have not taken my 17 year old estate in charge so why the hell should I? Why should I pay for services that the council won't provide by not taking the estate over.

Why would a 17 year old estate be classed as "unfinished"?

Generally a council only takes an estate in to charge when the developer wants them to.

The council provide very little services to taken-in-charge estates, since mine was all that has happened is that a crashed in to lamp post was replaced - and that was possibly paid for by the drivers insurance at that.

Developer stopped cutting the grass so the residents had to pay for that, that's about all that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

I've put this on the agenda for next week's Kildare Area Meeting of KCC. If you live in this electoral district and feel your estate should be listed, can you drop me a PM with the estate details and why you feel it should be exempt, and I'll raise it with the officials?

The Kildare area includes: Kildare Town, Newbridge, Monasterevin, Rathangan, Athgarvan, Allen, Kilmeague, Milltown, Allenwood, Cutbush and Suncroft.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

My estate not on it either. Didn't expect it to but I'm still not paying it. The council have not taken my 17 year old estate in charge
    What town is that in?

Why haven't the council taken it in charge?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Maynooth. There is a wall along part of the main road through the estate that the council are insisting on. The developer has gone bust so it will never be built. Nobody wants the wall anyway - it would mean removing a line of mature trees which are much nicer than any wall. But the council won't take the estate in charge until this undesired wall that will never be built is built. Fcuking ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

aodh_rua wrote: »
    I've put this on the agenda for next week's Kildare Area Meeting of KCC. If you live in this electoral district and feel your estate should be listed, can you drop me a PM with the estate details and why you feel it should be exempt, and I'll raise it with the officials?

The Kildare area includes: Kildare Town, Newbridge, Monasterevin, Rathangan, Athgarvan, Allen, Kilmeague, Milltown, Allenwood, Cutbush and Suncroft.

Is it ever town in Kildare or just the areas you mention?

Maynooth. There is a wall along part of the main road through the estate that the council are insisting on. The developer has gone bust so it will never be built. Nobody wants the wall anyway - it would mean removing a line of mature trees which are much nicer than any wall. But the council won't take the estate in charge until this undesired wall that will never be built is built. Fcuking ridiculous.

You're not going to benefit in any way by the estate being taken in to charge. The council will only continue not cutting your public areas grass if they did.

As a result, there isn't anything that paying or not paying the household charge will have an effect on in the estate.
    Trampas wrote: »
    Is it ever town in Kildare or just the areas you mention?

He's a councillor for those areas. If your outside of them, contact a local councillor, there's a list on KCC's website.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

Any update on the meeting?

Thanks
    B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

MYOB wrote: »
    You're not going to benefit in any way by the estate being taken in to charge. The council will only continue not cutting your public areas grass if they did.

As a result, there isn't anything that paying or not paying the household charge will have an effect on in the estate.

Maintenance of the estate roads, footpaths, perimeter walls, water, sewerage and sometimes trees will come under the responsibility of the council when taken in charge. Abandoned vehicles can also be dealt with through the council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Blogger50 wrote: »
    Any update on the meeting?

Thanks
    B

Here's a note I put up on my website last week after the meeting - http://blog.tonyodonnell.ie/?p=842 It seems KCC expressed concerns at how the Department drew up the waiver list, but they were ignored.

As an area committee, we've jointly submitted the following motion to next Monday's full meeting of the Council.
    That this council believes the process by which certain estates have been given a waiver from the new Household Charge is unfair and arbitrary, and that the Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government has not adequately sought the input and expertise of the council and members in the preparation of the list. The council therefore resolves to write to the Minister requesting an immediate review of the waiver lists and an extension of the deadline for payment to enable this review to take place.

Here's a note I put up on my website last week after the meeting - http://blog.tonyodonnell.ie/?p=842 It seems KCC expressed concerns at how the Department drew up the waiver list, but they were ignored.

As an area committee, we've jointly submitted the following motion to next Monday's full meeting of the Council.

Thanks for that Tony, I am only getting a chance to check it out now!

Will be very interested to see how this goes and I will keep an eye on your website.

You might want to let them know that only this week I have spent over €80 buying lightbulbs for the streetlights in my estate and a neighbour of mine is going to put them in this weekend :D

I am sure this scenario is being repeated by residents all over the country and all because our builder is on the missing list!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

Blogger50 wrote: »
    Thanks for that Tony, I am only getting a chance to check it out now!

Will be very interested to see how this goes and I will keep an eye on your website.

You might want to let them know that only this week I have spent over €80 buying lightbulbs for the streetlights in my estate and a neighbour of mine is going to put them in this weekend :D

I am sure this scenario is being repeated by residents all over the country and all because our builder is on the missing list!

half of our street lights are out. on corners and everything.

very bad the department don't listen to the councils.

Trampas wrote: »
    half of our street lights are out. on corners and everything.

very bad the department don't listen to the councils.

Yes, were the same and its just gotten to a stage where its so dangerous were replacing the bulbs ourselves. There are 13 to be replaced tomorrow in addition to the the 7 or so done already. God help us if we ever have a problem with sewerage or anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Loadsafreckles

KCC changed our water line over to a hard water line last year, we were not given any choice in this matter. Since then I have had to replace my kettle twice, my washer dryer once and my iron 3 times. I have to buy bottled water for most things and the anti limescale powers do not seem to work efficiently enough in my washing machine etc. I dont have the money to pay the household charge. They should deduct what it has cost us in our estate (and Im sure other estates) to replace all these items.....and they would end up owing us money. Im sick of being in debt so they can shove their household charge !!

Water in Kildare is hard in general. I would imagine whatever supply you had beforehand wasn't being treated properly as there's no reason they'd swap otherwise.

I'd also suspect you're buying extremely poor quality equipment, seeing as despite the equally hard water I'd be getting here I've had one washing machine die from a broken belt and that's it. In a lot longer than a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

MYOB wrote: »
    Water in Kildare is hard in general. I would imagine whatever supply you had beforehand wasn't being treated properly as there's no reason they'd swap otherwise.

I'd also suspect you're buying extremely poor quality equipment, seeing as despite the equally hard water I'd be getting here I've had one washing machine die from a broken belt and that's it. In a lot longer than a year.

Is this Kildare town or county?

Cicero wrote: »
    Is this Kildare town or county?

County. Limestone = hard water.

Most of the *country* has similarly hard water.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

KCC changed our water line over to a hard water line last year, we were not given any choice in this matter. Since then I have had to replace my kettle twice, my washer dryer once and my iron 3 times. I have to buy bottled water for most things and the anti limescale powers do not seem to work efficiently enough in my washing machine etc. I dont have the money to pay the household charge. They should deduct what it has cost us in our estate (and Im sure other estates) to replace all these items.....and they would end up owing us money. Im sick of being in debt so they can shove their household charge !!

Hi just looking through some old posts and came across this,and thought below may be of interest to you,,,,

There is a public information meeting in the Curragh Lodge on next Wednesday the 7th March at 8PM,being held by the Anti Household Charge commitee,if you attend this meeting you will realise that there are plenty of people like yourself that arnt in a position to pay this unfair charge that is being forced on us to pay the gambeling shareholders and bankers.Its just a information meeting that will be chaired by a local campaigner that will have all the facts and advice that we need to beat the goverment on this issue and make them roll back on it.Why not go to this meeting and make a stand and not take this lieing down,,,,

Advertisement