Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor suck (Time for a new network...?)

• 11-01-2012 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hey all!

So basically my mother has been in need of a new phone for a while now. Her nokia is beaten and cracked, and she recently decided that she wanted to make the big move to a smartphone, and settled on the Samsung Galaxy S Plus. She found a good deal on the meteor site, which gave her everything she wanted, and the phone at a very good price. She called the 1800 number like she was directed to (as an existing bill pay customer), and was pleasantly surprised when she was told she would get the phone for free instead of the €129, because she was entitled to a free upgrade. She was told to do it in-store, but when she went in they told her it would have to be done over the phone. When she called back they transferred her to someone else, and he basically started going through the process of a completely different deal. When she told the guy what she had just been told the deal was supposed to be, he informed her that she must have been speaking to someone in customer care, and that they have no authority to do things like this, and that not only would she have to pay €129 for the phone, but her free meteor calls and texts would go after 12 months (it does say this in the fine print on the site, but the first two people she spoke with assured her they were 'for life' because that's what she signed up for with bill pay in the first place). I was there, and I have never heard customer service as bad as that. He basically told her she was an idiot because she expected to get the deal she was told she was entitled to by TWO different people she'd spoken to previously. Needless to say all 6 of my family will be switching to a different network as soon as possible!

Anyone have any similar experiences?

- J

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If she takes an upgrade she may be put on a new package which may not come with free anything for life. All operators pull that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jme467

It's actually a joke how bad they are. I was just in a Meteor store there, and a very nice girl explained that the stores have nothing to do with customer care or the sales department. Apparently they can offer you anything they want, and the stores can't do anything about it unless there is a note put on the account. So we pulled up the account and the third guy she spoke to (that'd basically told her she was an idiot) had made a note on the account that my mum had agreed to upgrade to a Galaxy S2 for €269. Where any of that came from is a mystery, it's just ridiculous! Going off advice that the girl gave me, I'm getting back on to them now to demand what was offered in the first place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I'm similarly pissed off with their appalling service and am about to move our family of seven to a different provider, as soon as the missus' current 18-month contract expires in February. I've just sent them one month's written notice as per the T&Cs. If some dolt in the retentions department then rings me up to ask why, they'll get this. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

they cancelled or rather just stopped my free meteor calls and texts with out telling me, i rang up and it was a technical glitch so they say, i got re-registered for the free calls/texts and as i had already topped up by €20 intially only to find out the free calls/texts were gone i was then told to top up again by €20 to activate it, im considering a move also have been with them nearly 9 years and been both bill pay and pay as you go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Have e-mobile the same issues as Meteor?

• Advertisement

Haha great video! Especially love how it's still recording after the call ends.

It's so hard to try and choose a new provider though, having seen basically everyone I know jump ship to meteor in the last 5-10yrs. Having 'free' calls and texts to 99% of my phonebook is a big advantage, so I can see it being very costly for me to contact others, and vice-versa, if I switch.
    deaglan169 wrote: »
    they cancelled or rather just stopped my free meteor calls and texts with out telling me, i rang up and it was a technical glitch so they say, i got re-registered for the free calls/texts and as i had already topped up by €20 intially only to find out the free calls/texts were gone i was then told to top up again by €20 to activate it, im considering a move also have been with them nearly 9 years and been both bill pay and pay as you go

As far as I'm aware they have to activate them for you! I've experienced the same 'glitch', and customer care remedied it, usually without much hassle. I've also experienced the 'glitch' that causes it to take up to 3 days for the free calls and texts to activate (even though they say up to 24hrs in their T&Cs). Great ploy to get people to spend their credit without realising.

Emobile look ok from the outside, and they do have some good packages, but that's heavily reliant on you utilising the free landline calls

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

emobile IS Meteor, all the same issues. eircom gradually switched call centres late last year ( mainly from Waterford to Cork) and the cutomer service was absolutely completely sh1te for months on end. Dunno if the problem has been resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

theyre a disgrace...my girlfriend was ringin em for the last two weeks and told different lies and conflicting stories every day...her sister got an offer on a price plan and phone and when the girlfriend rang for it she was told she wasnt entitled to it...then on another date she was told she could get it but phone was costin way more and no free calls and texts..she was told this by a pakistani guy workin there who hadnt a great level of english...and for the few calls since the different representatives say that this guy put a comment in sayin no free calls and texts on plan so they cant do anything...theyre a disgrace...the also want her to pay 200 for a phone our friend paid 129 for early last year!!we had enough and walked into vodafone today and transferred our phones...better phones for cheaper prices, better customer care and better reception...meteor collectively lost 60euro a month from us and we'l never be back to them as they clearly have no respect for their customers

LillySV wrote: »
    theyre a disgrace...my girlfriend was ringin em for the last two weeks and told different lies and conflicting stories every day...her sister got an offer on a price plan and phone and when the girlfriend rang for it she was told she wasnt entitled to it...then on another date she was told she could get it but phone was costin way more and no free calls and texts..she was told this by a pakistani guy workin there who hadnt a great level of english...and for the few calls since the different representatives say that this guy put a comment in sayin no free calls and texts on plan so they cant do anything...theyre a disgrace...the also want her to pay 200 for a phone our friend paid 129 for early last year!!we had enough and walked into vodafone today and transferred our phones...better phones for cheaper prices, better customer care and better reception...meteor collectively lost 60euro a month from us and we'l never be back to them as they clearly have no respect for their customers

How are you finding Vodafone since? I've been off the boards for a while, but I'm still looking to switch everyone away from meteor. They all seem to have the flaws unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Bought a phone online on 27/3. Didn't receive an email confirmation but did get an order number. Credit card statement confirmed purchase. 17 days later still no phone but have been told it's been dispatched. Must have spoken to 15 people in the last two weeks.

When I was not getting anywhere with customer service I took the battle to Twitter and slated @Meteor_Mobile. Got a response immediately. I'd advise anyone with issues to use Twitter as they don't like criticism being aired in public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭stonybroke

Love how when anyone complains about their network, they're moving their family of 6, 7, 23, 52 etc to another network!!

Bought a phone online on 27/3. Didn't receive an email confirmation but did get an order number. Credit card statement confirmed purchase. 17 days later still no phone but have been told it's been dispatched. Must have spoken to 15 people in the last two weeks.

When I was not getting anywhere with customer service I took the battle to Twitter and slated @Meteor_Mobile. Got a response immediately. I'd advise anyone with issues to use Twitter as they don't like criticism being aired in public.

Maybe that's a decent option. I've tried on facebook, but as soon as you start criticising them in the slightest the report you or start removing your posts. To be honest I don't even want to complain about them, just want to find a decent network so I can stop giving them my money,

stonybroke wrote: »
    Love how when anyone complains about their network, they're moving their family of 6, 7, 23, 52 etc to another network!!

That's so funny, because I was just thinking how I love how people insist on butting in with their random inane thoughts that add nothing to a conversation!

To quote something you said on another thread 'In my humble opinion, dickheads should be sterilised at birth but lucky for you that isn't the case!'

Now kindly f*** off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭uppishhauk

the problem with meteor is there is zero communication between the different departments and they all dislike each other because they each blame the other if something goes wrong,

For a lot of issues its depends of both the agent you get and how you speak to them, if you are irate, yelling and cursing on the phone then you are most likely going to getting know where. agents get the some of the worst verbal abuse so when someone nice comes along they will go the extra mile (which they should do anyway),

the reason that the twitter guys get the job done is
    1. when they call costumer care they are really friendly

2. meteor hate bad publicity, to the point where they started sponsoring joe duffy so he wouldn't talk about them on his radio show as much

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭stonybroke

jme467 wrote: »

Maybe that's a decent option. I've tried on facebook, but as soon as you start criticising them in the slightest the report you or start removing your posts. To be honest I don't even want to complain about them, just want to find a decent network so I can stop giving them my money,

stonybroke wrote: »

That's so funny, because I was just thinking how I love how people insist on butting in with their random inane thoughts that add nothing to a conversation!

To quote something you said on another thread 'In my humble opinion, dickheads should be sterilised at birth but lucky for you that isn't the case!'

Now kindly f*** off!

blah blah blah you still won't get anything off meteor no matter how many family members you say are leaving!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

uppishhauk wrote: »
    agents get the some of the worst verbal abuse so when someone nice comes along they will go the extra mile (which they should do anyway),

Why? Why should some one putting up with abuse 'go the extra mile' for someone? I'll tell them to sling their hook, and I regularly do, and won't deal with them until they apologise and act like a civilised human being. No matter what the issue you may have with Meteor, or indeed any other company, there's a very high chance that a) the customer facing staff didn't cause it and b) they don't have the authority to fixed it.

Or indeed the magical ability to pull solutions out of their rectal cavity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭uppishhauk

chrislad wrote: »
    Why? Why should some one putting up with abuse 'go the extra mile' for someone? I'll tell them to sling their hook, and I regularly do, and won't deal with them until they apologise and act like a civilised human being. No matter what the issue you may have with Meteor, or indeed any other company, there's a very high chance that a) the customer facing staff didn't cause it and b) they don't have the authority to fixed it.

Or indeed the magical ability to pull solutions out of their rectal cavity!

I worked in Meteor costumer care and believe that when a call comes through you should do the best you can to help them no matter what they say to you and put your own feels aside and not take anything they say to heart.
    not once did i refuse to help someone for their attitude, I'll do my job whether they thank me or not

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

Just changed from Meteor to a different network less than two weeks ago. There are so many things wrong with them it's not even funny.

I got a letter saying they were appointing an examiner, as they are ****ed basically. And recently I had to buy a phone from them for someone on their network and it was €20 dearer than in carphone warehouse (who were sold out).

I'm so glad I'm not with them anymore.

Advertisement