Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog is scared of something at night

• 11-01-2012 2:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi, two days ago my dog woke me up at night whining and he was completely scared, he could not relax for over an hour and was shaking.
    It happened when he was sleeping on the armchair next to my bed. I have absolutely no idea what happened to him. He was really very scared.
    The same thing happened yesterday. I was sitting at my desk and at about 11 pm he started shaking and went under the bed. His muscles are tense and he is not looking at me while this is happening.
    I am worried what is going on, he has no reason to be stressed or scared. We walk a lot, he has good food and loads of love and attention from us.
    Does anybody know what might be the reason?

ps: during first time when he got scared, there were cats outside in the garden making noises and crying, but he heard it before and wasnt scared.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

ps: please somebody explain this to me, or I will start thinking its ghosts or aliens! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

surime wrote: »
    Hi, two days ago my dog woke me up at night whining and he was completely scared, he could not relax for over an hour and was shaking.
    It happened when he was sleeping on the armchair next to my bed. I have absolutely no idea what happened to him. He was really very scared.
    The same thing happened yesterday. I was sitting at my desk and at about 11 pm he started shaking and went under the bed. His muscles are tense and he is not looking at me while this is happening.
    I am worried what is going on, he has no reason to be stressed or scared. We walk a lot, he has good food and loads of love and attention from us.
    Does anybody know what might be the reason?

ps: during first time when he got scared, there were cats outside in the garden making noises and crying, but he heard it before and wasnt scared.
    there is a chance that you have had a visitation,as a sensitive myself [and a dog lover]i know that animals,are often the first to pickup on such things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

ghosts, definatly ghosts.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

getz wrote: »
    there is a chance that you have had a visitation,as a sensitive myself [and a dog lover]i know that animals,are often the first to pickup on such things

seriously... :confused:

some dogs cry at night. I wouldnt be worry about aliens or ghosts. Leave a light on for a few nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Are you sure he is scared? My Westie used to act something like what you are describing and he was having seizures, but they weren't really obvious seizures, he would rattle and had difficulty focusing. it only happened for a couple of weeks then it stopped all of a sudden. (he lived to 14 without it happening again).

not trying to scare you but maybe check with the vets? No harm?

edit: I believe in ghosts, I'm not throwing out that idea but if his behaviour is out of the norm then there's no harm in checking with a vet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭demixed

ps: please somebody explain this to me, or I will start thinking its ghosts or aliens! :confused:

Worse. Ghosts....from space.

Try leaving on some talk radio in the background for him, apparently hearing voices can calm them :confused:

Works on my cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

I have nothing to offer on this except good wishes, hope you get rid of the ghosts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

My friends ex had a husky that could see the ghost in her house, It was class we would watch the dog suddenly jump up and his eyes would follow what we ourselves couldn't see. The light would go slightly dim at the same time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I would second a trip to the vets before worrying yourself about ghosts and aliens! Perhaps there was thunder in the distance that you couldn't hear, or could this have been around the time of the bad wind, something banging around outside maybe? I would still recommend a vet visit though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

nothing to get worked up about,most buildings get visited at some time or other by those who have moved on,the classic way is to watch where the dog is looking,and also you will see the dog following a movement, then again there maybe a very simple explanation,if it is of the spirit world its unlikly that it is grounded or the dog would have told you ages ago.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Rob Nulty

Would the next door neighbour be blowing one of those dog whistles? The poor dog probably doesnt know where the noise is coming from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

getz wrote: »
    nothing to get worked up about,most buildings get visited at some time or other by those who have moved on,the classic way is to watch where the dog is looking,and also you will see the dog following a movement, then again there maybe a very simple explanation,if it is of the spirit world its unlikly that it is grounded or the dog would have told you ages ago.
    I think your in the wrong forum today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The dog may well be hearing something you can
    t; and I mean something "real"

Collie sometimes has one of her thunder phobia turns for no apparent reason; may well be a flashback sparked off by something we cannot detect. That it is the same time every night would lead to think about a noise you cannot hear.

Your dog gets over it in how much time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭RichT

Dogs dream, so it could just be that.... a bad dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Maybe someone is letting off bangers in your neighbourhood? Had a very hard time for the six weeks around Halloween with eejits letting off fireworks in the middle of the night and the dog freaking out - got so bad I had to sleep with the radio on. I wouldn't always hear them as I'd be asleep, but the dog would then wake me up as he was scared and trying to find a safe place to hide. With New Year's being so wet, some people may have fireworks left over this year and be letting them off late.

My guys acts just like your fellow when it happens.

Blueprint wrote: »
    Maybe someone is letting off bangers in your neighbourhood? Had a very hard time for the six weeks around Halloween with eejits letting off fireworks in the middle of the night and the dog freaking out - got so bad I had to sleep with the radio on. I wouldn't always hear them as I'd be asleep, but the dog would then wake me up as he was scared and trying to find a safe place to hide. With New Year's being so wet, some people may have fireworks left over this year and be letting them off late.

This to my mind is the most likely. I always know then the local crowbanger has changed hands yet again even if I don't hear it. Happened earlier today but I was outside and heard it so I knew why collie was freaking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Maybe someone is letting off bangers in your neighbourhood?

Ghost bangers....

Thank you all for your post's.. I can't say I feel any better after reading few of them I got shivers.. :rolleyes:
    To answer few questions :
    - I am 100% sure he was scared, he was shaking and was hiding under bed.
    -he was never scared of any thunders or fireworks
    -I don't think any neighbour was blowing a dog whistle, it was late and nobody has dog around.
    -he was complitely calm during the recent storms and it was crazy outside, I wasnt calm myself, but he was just sleeping.

The second time it happened he stood under my desk and was looking towards wall :confused: I felt him shaking and then the same, he went under bed and didnt want to go out for over hour.
    We moved house recently and I havent got used to it, all the noises etc yet myself,but its very quiet here around, so no idea what he could hear.
    (or see :( )
    The other thing I thought about was that he got some pain or something and it was just the way to deal with it, he is a very sensitive dog and panics when you even slightly step on his tail, but it was much more like a fear..

I used to have a fox terrier when I was teenager and she was absolutely horrified by any sound like fireworks or thunders, but the dog I have now just ignores them. There could be explosion just next to him and he doesn't mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs so if you don't agree with someones' suggestion just ignore it and post your own.

It might be a few things, like noises or movements you can't hear or see. Like others have suggested, neighbours noises or other dogs.

It could be something the dog can smell (recently my dad was in a neighbours attic and when he came back my youngest dog sniffed him and her tail dropped and she ran up the stairs to me. She was physically shaking badly, for ages and kept pushing into me for cuddles/security. She wouldn't come down the stairs or go near my dad for ages. I eventually brought her down the stairs and she with her tail down still, tentatively went over to his shoes, one sniff and back up the stairs. She was like that with his shoes for days until eventually he put 4 layers of shoe polish on (he'd dettol'd them and everything) and she was suspicious but no longer scared. She was fine with him when he'd changed his clothes & shoes. We still don't know what it was in the attic on him that she was scared of, cuz my other dog wasn't bothered in the slightest.)

It has been a full moon the last two nights, my dogs do get restless around that time.

Also if there are shadows in a room / through the window or curtains my younger dog will start to bark or stare at them.

As always - we can only guess here what it *might* be, if you can't find a definitive answer at home, check with your vet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Could be foxes nearby my dog can smell/hear them when they are near the house and it drives him crazy. He also won't go outside when they are around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

A neighbour may have gotten a new dog also or there could be a stray wandering about near your house that the dog is aware of but you wouldn't hear or smell. There are an infinite number of possibilites really.

The only real solution, after a trip to the vet gets the dog the all clear, is to comfort the dog if it gets like that again and help it feel better.

I wouldn't be getting in the priest for the exorcism just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I would second the suggestion about seizures/fits. I would get the vet to check it out.

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    I would second the suggestion about seizures/fits. I would get the vet to check it out.

what kind of seizures/fits do you mean? Sorry I am not native english speaker and I am not sure.

To above posts:
    -there are foxes near by, there are stray dogs and I even noticed just now that there is actually a new small dog next door ( a yorkee) , but I very much doubt he could be in a such state because of those things!
    We walk a lot in the woods, so he knows foxes smell, he knows also local stray dogs..
    I have no idea, it was really intense and I just hope it won't happen again. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

To me it suggests something physical going on - if not mild seizures then another healthh issue that is causing the fear. Trip to the vet is in order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

what kind of seizures/fits do you mean? Sorry I am not native english speaker and I am not sure.
    (

Like epilepsy, my dogs seizures were mild and could have been mistaken for him acting up had the vet not checked him. While it occurs we had to turn off tv/radio/ lights and just reassure him.

planetX wrote: »
    To me it suggests something physical going on - if not mild seizures then another healthh issue that is causing the fear. Trip to the vet is in order.

Fear itself is a serious health issue but I never met a vet yet who took it seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I'd go with the idea that it's something you can't hear, the dog can hear but doesn't understand (bangers, car backfire, foxes, cats, etc. ad infinitum).
    My dogs were going berserk every now and then after we moved to a new house but it took months to realise that whenever there was blasting in the quarry a couple of miles away, they could hear it even indoors but we had to be outside in the garden with the wind in the right direction.
    If this is it, don't worry yourself or try to comfort the dog as this (apparently) just reinforces the fear, just acknowledge that "yeah something's out there" and leave it, ours always just settle then as if to say "well if he's not bothered then neither am I". (I know they don't understand english).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

not to soud wacky but we live in a very old house and our pup sometimes stops, looks up and stares and its as if hes watching something walk through the room..this has happened a few times. we've no mice or rats, i thought maybe he was hearing something but when it happens hes definitely watching something. Ive goosepimples even thinking about it.

bring him to the vet anyways. sound slike hes in some discomfort, go just to be safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

mice per chance?

Advertisement