Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog is scared of something at night

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

not mice, our trap yokes are always empty plus there's zero sign of them at all.

i do believe dogs are tuned into stuff we cant see or hear. Who knows though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

david75 wrote: »
    Who knows though?

It looks like you do seen as you believe it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

I just thought that the reason can't be any far (or close) noise I can't hear, because there are noises coming from around all the time.. so why he would be so horrified of anything like that..
    I will just watch him and got to the vet if it happens again.

(hate you all for all ghost stories! :pac:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭DogsFirst

sambuka41 wrote: »
    Are you sure he is scared? My Westie used to act something like what you are describing and he was having seizures, but they weren't really obvious seizures, he would rattle and had difficulty focusing.

there's no harm in checking with a vet

Second that, seizures are common enough (epileptic or otherwise), dogs can do some strange things when it happens.

Other symptoms: dialted pupils (one or both), frothing at mouth, involuntary urination, possibly blanched gums.

Take him for a check up, bloods will reveal any upset.

Or it could be ghosts. Classic symptoms of Elvis is your dog humming "hound dog" and strong thrusts of the pelvis. Watch your leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

david75 wrote: »
    not mice, our trap yokes are always empty plus there's zero sign of them at all.

clever mice??????

Really.
    my dog used to be agitated at night ,until i found out that mice were scampering around his bedding at night

no obvious signs either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP, a lot of medical problems can cause odd behaviour in dogs so I would definitely take the dog to your vet to rule out any serious underlying cause.

Has your dog been eating anything out the ordinary since this started happening?

I get some pretty strange reactions from my dog if she spots an earwig, it took a while to figure out what the problem was first time it happened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

OP, a lot of medical problems can cause odd behaviour in dogs so I would definitely take the dog to your vet to rule out any serious underlying cause.

Has your dog been eating anything out the ordinary since this started happening?

I get some pretty strange reactions from my dog if she spots an earwig, it took a while to figure out what the problem was first time it happened.

Earwig! lol :pac: No, he has not been eating anything new or different.
    The house that we moved into is quite new, so I would be surprised if there are any mice here, but who knows. (anyway my bedroom doors were closed so I very much doubt it). He was also never afraid of any bugs or spider.
    Its just a big riddle to me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I would first get a medical check to be sure the dog is ok.

I was just thinking that one of my dogs has a massive "issue" with banging doors. She just cant stand it if a door is open and the wind even catches it slightly. Even with the tv on she can hear the door when noone else can and by now I know her reaction and know that somewhere in the house the wind is catching a door. I cant even count the amount of people who have sat here and said what the hell is wrong with Ruby as they can hear nothing!!

One of our other dogs I discovered recently is terrified of nail guns and pellet guns. It sends him into an awful state when he hears them, although we can all hear that sound and see him fleeing from it so it is quite obvious.

I dunno about ghosts:eek:.

Advertisement