Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clane/Sallins Commute to Dublin city

Options
  • 13-09-2010 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

I am currently driving from Sallins to south Dublin everyday for work. This was grand during the summer but with dark evenings and bad weather coming in I was thinking about looking for a Job in the city centre and getting the train to work everyday (I live within walking distance of Sallins train station).

I am looking to hear from anyone doing this train commute at the moment. Are the trains generally reliable in the mornings/evenings? More than likely it would be the IFSC I would end up to commuting to, anyone have a rough estimate of the commute time involved with that (Train + Luas)?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Irishrail.ie will give you good timings, including Luas connections to Connolly/IFSC. As for reliable: well it's a train service. When it's working, it works fine and that's most of the time. When it really breaks it can go wrong, but that's quite rare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Hi,

I am currently driving from Sallins to south Dublin everyday for work. This was grand during the summer but with dark evenings and bad weather coming in I was thinking about looking for a Job in the city centre and getting the train to work everyday (I live within walking distance of Sallins train station).

I am looking to hear from anyone doing this train commute at the moment. Are the trains generally reliable in the mornings/evenings? More than likely it would be the IFSC I would end up to commuting to, anyone have a rough estimate of the commute time involved with that (Train + Luas)?

Thanks for your help

Journey time from Sallins station to the IFSC is approx 50 mins in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

My experience of that journey is a little longer; the last couple of times I got 8.15 train from Sallins I just about reached my destination across from the IFSC for 9.30. However I have only made the journey a couple of times so it could be less for regular commuters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SueWho

If you are working in the IFSC I would recommend driving to the Red Cow and getting the Luas to Connolly/ Busaras. You don't have that hassle of having to make it to the train station for a particular time to catch the train as there is a luas every 4-5 mins in the mornings and evenings. I drive from Naas and find it great- it's usually around 1 hour door to door- 50 mins in summer and 1 hour 10-15mins on a bad day in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

If you decide to train and bus it, there's a combined ticket you can get for to get the 90 bus from outside Heuston that goes up to the IFSC afaik.

Trains can and do get delayed in the mornings though, sometimes by up to 20 minutes, but that's Ireland for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

i use it off peek times. I HATE dublin traffic. It takes a big hassle and headache out your day.
    My wife uses it on peek hours. She says if you are trying to time your arrival to few mins before work, you are going to be late. Get the early train and have breakfast in town

• Registered Users Posts: 8 stevefinnan

Thanks for all the info everyone, much appreciated. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 deefed1

Another option would be to drive to Clane there is a great bus service would take you 1 hour from Clane to IFSC

• Registered Users Posts: 5 buttercup1550

Hi, whats the name of that bus service from clane? Is it the Edenderry (120) bus service?

I am thinking about moving to Sallins/Clane and looking into the commute. I work next to convention centre and start work at 9. Was thinking of getting the 8am train from Sallins and then Luas down to Mayor Sq. but this could be tight getting in for 9-does anyone do this?

Also the Edenderry bus service which would be approx the same timings. Does anyone know of a private coach serve that operates for this commute?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

no private operators from Clane to Dublin

• Advertisement

Hi,

I am thinking of moving to Kildare-Sallin’s/Clane direction. I am just a little worried about the commute from all the horror stories I’ve heard. Also living in Harold’s Cross at the moment and cycle to work so my commute is 25 minutes door to door. I know I was spoiled!

As far as I know, I have 3 options:

1) Train from Sallin’s to Dublin Heuston and the Luas down to Mayor Sq.
    2) Bus Eireann, Edenderry service 120, from Clane to Dublin City Centre
    3) Drive to Red Cow and Luas down to Mayor Sq.

Does anyone have any info on other options available? or experience of these routes ? How long they take (the timetables given by service providers are not the most accurate)? How busy they are? Are they reliable services??

Does anyone know of a private coach company that operates from Sallin’s to Dublin. I know JJ Kavanagh does a town service in Sallin’s but not a Dublin commuter service.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

If you have parking at work, drive. I live in clane and driving is by far faster and less hassle than any form of public transport. I work in ringsend (so have to go all the way down the quays from heuston to o'connell street) and the commute has gotten a lot better in recent years, I can be door to door in 45 (or 35 with no traffic or off hours).

Next up would be the 120, but it takes a bit of a roundabout route through straffan, etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

You also have the option to drive to Maynooth or Kilcock from Clane (about 10 mins) and get the train to Connolly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Ballyman wrote: »
    You also have the option to drive to Maynooth or Kilcock from Clane (about 10 mins) and get the train to Connolly

Not sure about kilcock, but Maynooth's car park is usually full by 7 or 7:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭liamo22

gerrowadat wrote: »

Kilcock doesn't have a carpark :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

gerrowadat wrote: »

Not anymore

Hi, thanks for all the suggestions. Unfortunately, cant drive as no parking in work. Havent looked into the Kilcock train service so ill see how that is. Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭STForSale

liamo22 wrote: »
    Kilcock doesn't have a carpark :pac:
    It does, albeit a small one.
    However you would be far better off driving to Maynooth.
    Same distance to drive.
    Ticket is 1/3 the price.
    Service is far more regular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Hi,

I am thinking of moving to Kildare-Sallin’s/Clane direction. I am just a little worried about the commute from all the horror stories I’ve heard. Also living in Harold’s Cross at the moment and cycle to work so my commute is 25 minutes door to door. I know I was spoiled!

As far as I know, I have 3 options:

1) Train from Sallin’s to Dublin Heuston and the Luas down to Mayor Sq.
    2) Bus Eireann, Edenderry service 120, from Clane to Dublin City Centre
    3) Drive to Red Cow and Luas down to Mayor Sq.

Does anyone have any info on other options available? or experience of these routes ? How long they take (the timetables given by service providers are not the most accurate)? How busy they are? Are they reliable services??

Does anyone know of a private coach company that operates from Sallin’s to Dublin. I know JJ Kavanagh does a town service in Sallin’s but not a Dublin commuter service.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks!:)

There are some express trains from Sallins that can get to Heuston in about 25 minutes. You can bring your bike on the train too and get from Heuston to IFSC in about 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭liamo22

STForSale wrote: »
    It does, albeit a small one.
    However you would be far better off driving to Maynooth.
    Same distance to drive.
    Ticket is 1/3 the price.
    Service is far more regular.

I would not call that a Car Park!
    But I do agree with you STForSale about going to Maynooth and not Kilcock.

• Advertisement
Advertisement