Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

visa for Australia

Options
  • 11-01-2012 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Im new to this so im probably not even posting in the right place but im looking for advice on a visa for Austrailia.

myself and my husband to be want to go towards the end of the year (we will be married then) and we have a son. I am a social care worker here and i think my qualification allows me to work in community welfare in Australia but im open to correction or any advise.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Im off to bed have a read of the FAQ on the top of the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

how old are ye?
    is it a permanent or temporary move?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 debcon

I am nearly 25 he is nearly 31 (in feb) we would like to stay a few years at least?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

if you both apply for a hwv for a year, you need to be there before the age of 30, so not sure what your hubby is gonna do?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 joanofarse

copeyhagen wrote: »
    if you both apply for a hwv for a year, you need to be there before the age of 30, so not sure what your hubby is gonna do?

You actually have to be there before you turn 31.

• Advertisement

ya i was thinking the same, even at that i think once you apply for the visa before your 31 you could still go but from what im aware you cannot bring children on that visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

What does your husband work at?
    You should have a good chance of getting work but it will be hard to get sponsored by anyone before you get out there?
    The visas cost a fair bit of money especially if you want to have the visa before you go out. A lot of people go out on a WHV, get work and then try for sponsorship. Having a child makes it more complicated. As was said above read the visa faq and look on immi site for info on skills in demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

debcon wrote: »
    I am nearly 25 he is nearly 31 (in feb) we would like to stay a few years at least?

debcon, your hubby has until he turns 31 (another month) to apply for the whv visa.
    Its 18-30 inclusive and he then has a year to activate this visa, i know this because im in a similar situation, i am 32 in April but travelling in March. Once i enter before the visa timeframe i will be fine.

Thanks for your comment Zweton, The problem is that you cannot bring Children on that visa from what I am aware, its all so confusing. lol

What does your husband work at?
    You should have a good chance of getting work but it will be hard to get sponsored by anyone before you get out there?
    The visas cost a fair bit of money especially if you want to have the visa before you go out. A lot of people go out on a WHV, get work and then try for sponsorship. Having a child makes it more complicated. As was said above read the visa faq and look on immi site for info on skills in demand.
    he is currently working as a truck driver, we are told there are plenty of driving jobs out there it's just a matter of us getting out there with our son

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

There may or may not be. If there are, the driving jobs would be in very remote areas or driving routes across vast parts of the country. Maybe you are used of that anyway if your husband is driving across to Europe. In any case you will have to do a lot of research and as others have said on other threads the visa/sponsorship process is not cheap or quick. Best of luck with it.

P.S. your best bet could well be going out there on your own on a WHV and seeing if you can get work and sponsorship. Not ideal with your kid and husband at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

debcon wrote: »
    Thanks for your comment Zweton, The problem is that you cannot bring Children on that visa from what I am aware, its all so confusing. lol

I see, it is alright. These two sites may give you any extra info you need.
    Im sure someone on these sites has been in a similar situation. Where theres a will theres a way;)

http://britishexpats.com/
    http://www.pomsinoz.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 whalemeat27

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Two ways - sponsorship or migration
    I'm not sure if social care worker will be on the migration list
    what does your husband do?
    But as Zambia said please read the FAQ and do a few searches on the forum

• Registered Users Posts: 35 verat

Hi, We've been through a similar situation and spent a lot of time listening to others who thought they knew what they were talking about. Unfortunately, we dragged our heels and now are not elegibal for a visa due to various reasons eg. age, husband out of work for over 2 years etc. We've also been to Australia 3 times and on our last trip contacted an agency, my advice is for you to do the same. The one I used was called Interstaff and the branch I dealt with are in Perth and can easily be Googled (all the staff are fully qualified and experts in immigration law). Please contact an expert, even if they charge you a fee its worth it. Australia is constantly changing their immigration laws and different states have different laws. Its a great country for you both to have a good start to married life but I strongly advise that you seek advice from an expert. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eh2010

I'm looking for advice also. I'm aged 30 and have a B.A degree. What visa options are open to me A: Before I turn 31 and B: after I turn 31?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

eh2010 wrote: »
    I'm looking for advice also. I'm aged 30 and have a B.A degree. What visa options are open to me A: Before I turn 31 and B: after I turn 31?
    When you turn 31 you lose the option to apply for a Working holiday Visa.
    Ignore the posts above about being 31, they are all wrong.

You still have the options of sponsorship, permanent migration etc, regardless of being 30 or 31

Ok thanks. Where can I find out info on the sponsorship, permanent migration visas etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Why are people so reluctant to make an appointment to see a migration agent? It usually costs about $100 and they are the people that actually know the ins and outs about applying for visas and eligibility. The fee that they charge is usually deducted from their fee if you use their services to apply for a visa and you are not obligated to use them. Alot of the time people just need to know what visa they are eligible to apply for and what criteria they need to meet. A migration agent can supply all this info and it avoids all the misinformation gained through "pub talk".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

aido79 wrote: »
    Why are people so reluctant to make an appointment to see a migration agent? It usually costs about $100 and they are the people that actually know the ins and outs about applying for visas and eligibility. The fee that they charge is usually deducted from their fee if you use their services to apply for a visa and you are not obligated to use them. Alot of the time people just need to know what visa they are eligible to apply for and what criteria they need to meet. A migration agent can supply all this info and it avoids all the misinformation gained through "pub talk".

Or you could just log on to www.immi.gov.au (the single source of truth) and find the info for yourself?

• Advertisement

I did not know where to go to ask for that Information. That was the reason why I posted my quiery on Boards.ie in the first place to find out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

aido79 wrote: »
    Why are people so reluctant to make an appointment to see a migration agent? It usually costs about $100 and they are the people that actually know the ins and outs about applying for visas and eligibility. The fee that they charge is usually deducted from their fee if you use their services to apply for a visa and you are not obligated to use them. A lot of the time people just need to know what visa they are eligible to apply for and what criteria they need to meet. A migration agent can supply all this info and it avoids all the misinformation gained through "pub talk".

That's why. Plus they can charge more then that too.

The information can all be found on the Australian immigration website. Also if you do read the FAQ on this forum you will probable get the answer to most of your questions.

Saying you are aged 30 and have a B.A degree. is no indication of what visa you should get. Other then you are still of an age eligible to get a working holiday visa. In order to asses if you are eligible for other types of visa the information anyone would need to know to tell you what you could apply for is:

1: Your Age
    2: Your Profession and how long you have worked in that role.
    3: Your qualifications (not only if it is a B.A., B.Sc or masters but what it is in.)
    4: Do you have dependents who would / may eventually be coming with you.
    5: Do you have any family currently in Australia?
    6: Do you have a husband / wife / defacto partner? If so what are their qualifications?
    7: How much are you willing to spend on the visa?
    8: How long do you want to stay in Australia?

If you only give people on here vague information you can only expect vague answers.

But everyone should really read the FAQ's and check out the immigration site.

Ok. Just wanted to get a broad overview where to find out Australia visa info in general. If you type it into Google you get hundreds of results , a bit confusing . Came here to get more clear information.

Advertisement