Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peppa Pig is evil?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Tabnabs wrote: »
    How superior of you / poor you can't afford a TV and cable subscription:rolleyes:

Ever hear of someone who *chooses* not to have a tv regardless of whether or not they have enough money to afford it? There aren't many of us, but we do exist. Thanks for your little smite though :D

Superior? No, I don't claim to be a better person/parent then anyone. But am I proud of the fact my kids don't watch tv & thus have so much else to do with their day? Hell yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Fireman Sam sets over high expectations of the public service.
    Living in a Welsh fishing village with a population of about 10 yet it can call on a 24 hour fire service constantly manned with 3 full-time staff.
    Not only that it has a helicopter & lifeboat service to boot.
    Ponytpandy is obviously pre Croke Park Agreement.

90% of the emergencies are caused by the one kid aswell, surely he should be lifted for the villages sake.
    That just cracked me up in the middle of the office. People are staring at me now.

Thanks! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

Q. How do you know when someone doesn't have a tv?

A. They'll tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Ayla wrote: »
    I find this thread hysterical b/c I have absolutely no idea what any of you are talking about...I've never even heard of half the shows that've been mentioned, and I'm quite proud that neither of my children have either.

We don't own a tv so quite happily miss all shows. We do watch a dvd on the laptop from time to time but that seems much less pervasive then daytime sitcoms/cartoons. The rest of the day the kids play.

Baffled as to why you would post/get involved in a thread about tv shows you don't know about so.............. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Sleepy wrote: »
    That just cracked me up in the middle of the office. People are staring at me now.

Thanks! :p

me too! LOL :D

• Advertisement

I have to say I found this a bit disturbing though.
    My kids have a free enough reign over the tv, they can watch anything before 9pm however my youngest now 5 gets scared of rows on the soaps so we have to turn the tv down and tell him its a scary bit. They watched Jurassic park the other day and again the 5 year old was cuddled into a ball hiding his eyes so i snuggled up to him and covered his eyes for him and told him when he could look.

I could be wrong, but child sounds like he might be traumatised by being exposed to stuff that is too scary for him.

Ever hear of someone who *chooses* not to have a tv regardless of whether or not they have enough money to afford it? There aren't many of us, but we do exist. Thanks for your little smite though :D

Superior? No, I don't claim to be a better person/parent then anyone. But am I proud of the fact my kids don't watch tv & thus have so much else to do with their day? Hell yeah.

Why are you proud that your kids dont watch TV? :confused:

I dont think a half hour of Peppa Pig killed anyone... unless is was a muddy puddle related death :p but seriously is that not a bit cruel? I'm sure other kids would tease them about something abnormal in this day and age as not having a TV or knowing about popular TV charachters among there pals plus whats the harm with some cartoons on a rainy day with some sweets just for a treat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

My baby (9 ;) ) is currently propped up on the childminders sofa watching tv because she's not well and I've to work..... nothing beats a sick day in front of the tv!

ash23 wrote: »
    Baffled as to why you would post/get involved in a thread about tv shows you don't know about so.............. :confused:

I got involved b/c the OP asked:
    I'm just curious to see if there are any 'childrens' TV shows that you do not let your children watch

And my response is that my kids don't watch any of them.
    I'm sure other kids would tease them about something abnormal in this day and age as not having a TV or knowing about popular TV charachters among there pals

You're right. When I was a kid I had no way of relating to my peers who were going on about whatever shows were on at the time. But I was proud then as I am now of the fact that I found other ways to entertain myself. What I can't understand is why anyone would think that I'm actually depriving my children of some sort of privilage b/c they don't sit in front of (nor do they miss) a tv? Be offended if you must, but I think there's a lot more to life then what happens when you watch tv reguarly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Well back to the OP, and not the reasons for not having a TV / letting the kids watch TV.

Are some parent actually serious that they delve so deep into a cartoon that they ban it for reasons; that in reality, the child would never understand anyway?

Of course kids will imitate to a certain degree characters in their favourite shows, but to be banning the show because you child jumped into a muddy puddle or asked for cake is conservatism gone crazy.

God forbid you ever let your children watch Tom & Gerry with the pet cat around...

• Advertisement

You're right. When I was a kid I had no way of relating to my peers who were going on about whatever shows were on at the time. But I was proud then as I am now of the fact that I found other ways to entertain myself. What I can't understand is why anyone would think that I'm actually depriving my children of some sort of privilage b/c they don't sit in front of (nor do they miss) a tv? Be offended if you must, but I think there's a lot more to life then what happens when you watch tv reguarly.

Everybody is different and do things different and i suppose you dont miss what you dont know. I dont believe 1 hour of television in the evening will do them any harm but no television probably wont either except the fact they would be the odd ones out, its tough being a kid ya know! ;)

God forbid you ever let your children watch Tom & Gerry with the pet cat around...

Tom & Gerry is the devil :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Before I start this is not an attack just a few questions!

What is your objection to having a tv? Would it not make sense to have one and limit what your children watch. There are some programmes on tv which are really informative and while my kids do watch crap they also watch some really good documenteries which all of us enjoy. They might be something to do with world war 1 or 2, or climate change or animals but they are great. I do think it is unfair when parents force their children to be different from all others at some stage their views should be taken into account, it shoulnt be a blanket ban. Do your children not get homework re news programmes/items?

My second question and again I am not trying to be offensive, I would just like to get an insight. You have a laptop and you are quiet a frequent poster on here, why is the laptop with broadband connection ok but a tv not? Presumably you like most parents control their laptop use can this not be done with the tv too.

Daisy M wrote: »
    Before I start this is not an attack just a few questions!

What is your objection to having a tv? Would it not make sense to have one and limit what your children watch. There are some programmes on tv which are really informative and while my kids do watch crap they also watch some really good documenteries which all of us enjoy. They might be something to do with world war 1 or 2, or climate change or animals but they are great. I do think it is unfair when parents force their children to be different from all others at some stage their views should be taken into account, it shoulnt be a blanket ban. Do your children not get homework re news programmes/items?

My second question and again I am not trying to be offensive, I would just like to get an insight. You have a laptop and you are quiet a frequent poster on here, why is the laptop with broadband connection ok but a tv not? Presumably you like most parents control their laptop use can this not be done with the tv too.

Fair questions. I object to the fact that - in every house I go to here - the tv is always on in the background. It's like a social crutch that many people use to serve as a focal point in the room & I find it distracting when people have to try to avoid looking at it so they can have a conversation. In my experience, a lot more personal interaction goes on when there isn't a tv in the room. And yes, of course, there is an "off" button - I just wish people knew when to use it. :)

Yes, there are good documentaries on tv, but it's usually through cable/sky, which I don't think worthwhile paying for. If RTE has something good on my girls can see it through RTE player on the laptop.

Bluntly, I don't like how my girls (aged 5 & 2) turn into zombies when they're in front of a tv. They tune out completely and instantly ignore everyone in the room. The argument could be made that maybe they do this b/c they don't have daily access, but it does this to them why would I want to give them daily access? Watching a dvd is enough for "downtime."

As far as the laptop goes, my 5-yr old does play some educational computer games, and it is easy to regulate the time on this. But at least I know that if she's doing these games (ie: starfall, headsprout, etc) she is actively learning - not the passive learning that *may* happen by watching a cartoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I have to say I found this a bit disturbing though.

I could be wrong, but child sounds like he might be traumatised by being exposed to stuff that is too scary for him.

He is scared of raised voices always has been, the soaps are full of arguments and we send him out and tell him its a scary bit.

His a timid kid, but he really, really wanted to watch the film i turned it over but he got upset so the deal was if a scary bit came on we would hide under the blanket untill it was over.

if i could have taken a photo you would know what i meant, he wasnt gripped with fear, he was just covering his eyes because the dinosaur was going to eat the man on the toilet, he knew it was going to happen and was flinching. As i do when i watch horror movies (infact im way worse).

if i could have taken a photo you would know what i meant, he wasnt gripped with fear, he was just covering his eyes because the dinosaur was going to eat the man on the toilet, he knew it was going to happen and was flinching. As i do when i watch horror movies (infact im way worse).

He is five, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Fair questions. I object to the fact that - in every house I go to here - the tv is always on in the background. It's like a social crutch that many people use to serve as a focal point in the room & I find it distracting when people have to try to avoid looking at it so they can have a conversation. In my experience, a lot more personal interaction goes on when there isn't a tv in the room. And yes, of course, there is an "off" button - I just wish people knew when to use it. :)

Yes, there are good documentaries on tv, but it's usually through cable/sky, which I don't think worthwhile paying for. If RTE has something good on my girls can see it through RTE player on the laptop.

Bluntly, I don't like how my girls (aged 5 & 2) turn into zombies when they're in front of a tv. They tune out completely and instantly ignore everyone in the room. The argument could be made that maybe they do this b/c they don't have daily access, but it does this to them why would I want to give them daily access? Watching a dvd is enough for "downtime."

As far as the laptop goes, my 5-yr old does play some educational computer games, and it is easy to regulate the time on this. But at least I know that if she's doing these games (ie: starfall, headsprout, etc) she is actively learning - not the passive learning that *may* happen by watching a cartoon.

I actually used to feel exactly the same way - i probably still would but the tiredness has me bet - my now 5 yr old did not regularly watch tv until he was 2.5, we didn't have a family tv for 6/7 mths around when he turned 2 (had a bedroom one for us but never used it).
    Like you i still dont like the zombie effect, it is nothing to do with frequency most children do it, i dont like the influence and i hate some of the stories but advertising is my biggest dislike about tv. My 5 yr old loves shopping tv - he creeps into the living room early in the morning and watches shopping tv, he can quote ads to me.
    I have ot hold my hand up and say i have no idea how i would do the cooking, the limited amount of cleaning i do, etc without tv to distract the children. They are limited to about 2 hrs a day as it is.
    We only have the 4 four terrestrial channels.
    We are getting quite close to ditching the tv altogether when we require saorview and sticking with our media box that has an internet connection.
    Also, contrary to what another poster sad my 2 have had no problem distinguishing between made-up and real - bob the builder = made up, digger outside = real, so much so that my son at four questioned the existence of Santa, proud, if panicked moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

He is five, though.

I saw the evil dead at age 3, poltergeist before the age of 8 and my daughters favorite film was the 'mummy returns 2' at age 2-4 her favorite actor was brad Pitt. I saw all the Seagal/Van Damme/Arnie films before the age of 13. My parents edited the sex scenes but we were allowed to watch the violence/blood and gore.

Not that i would recommend any child watching the evil dead at age 3 or before the age of 18.

Jurassic park was a pg film back when i was a kid, presume it is now. His 5 that falls in the pg category, it was shown on rte at between 3 and 6pm. He watched all of 'Jaws' without flinching. I must have been around the same age when i watched Jaws and the music was much scarier than the shark attack. I would start flinching as soon as i heard the music.

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/1255330-to-let-my-5-year-old-watch-Jurassic-Park/AllOnOnePage

Seems like it really depends on the child, some have their 3 year olds watching it, others have 7 year olds that had nightmares. My fella had no nightmares.

It really does depend on the child, our 6 year old's favourite movie is Jaws...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

I am just not comfortable with the all or nothing concept. I prefer for my kids to see that tvs laptops games consoles are there to be enjoyed for a limited time and not to take over their lives. I dont believe banning them will do that.

I am happy to pay for sky as there are some excellent programmes on it but I do wish most of those disney programmes had never came into existance they are a far cry from Mickey Mouse!

There is a huge world out there and loads of places I would love to go and unfortunatly I will probably never get to most of them but some programmes on tv really do take you there for a few minutes thats not a bad thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

ash23 wrote: »
    I love Phineas and Ferb..... :o

Huge fans of Phineas and Ferb in my house.The 7 year old adores them.
    Its a great show for parents too,some cracking humor in it.Recent episode skit CSI Miami and another had seth mcfarlane and kevin smith in it.

Kick Buttokswki,Horrid Henry also very popular,anything with a bit of divilment in it goes down a treat.

My daughter loves a bit of peppa and curios george and the clown guy from cbbc.

The only one that we despise is The Hive.

I dont get the whole Peppa and Henry are bold etc.these are cartoons ffs,tell your kids whats right and wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

We were always fairly liberal with the tv and to be honest now at ages 9 and 7 it's rarely turned on. I'm sitting here trying to remember what day it was last on.... possibly Monday... but we don't really watch it much ourselves so I guess that has rubbed off.
    That said they did watch the cartoons a fair bit when they were younger. The only ones I put a ban on were Bratz and those awful US teen/ tween things were the girls are just horrible to each other all the time. Thankfully my kids weren't particularly interested in them anyway.

We did always like Peppa Pig when they were younger and I don't think it's done us any harm... although we do still like jumping in muddy puddles and now that I think about it there was one time, after leaving my son off to a workshop, my daughter and I went to a cafe and had chocolate cake for breakfast :eek::pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

hoodwinked wrote: »
    we much prefer shows like humf, where mummy and daddy have an equal and balanced relationship, both work, both clean up, both play with humf, both babysit...etc and we find it refreshing and more life like that humf lives in an apartment and not some mansion like most characters!
    I cannot abide Humf. Whiny, insipid and boooooooring. Peppa and George at least have a bit of a spark in them.
    phasers wrote: »
    Disney Junior is banned when I'm minding my Nephew, I hate all their stupid accents and American programmes seem so repetitive or something, imo they treat children like they're morons. Special agent Oso is the worst, IIRC I saw one once where it was showing children how to put toys into a box :confused:
    Special Agent OSO annoys me as he is so completely THICK. My three year old watches it and she can make a sandwich without being told by a computer whether the filling goes on the inside or the outside.

Dora (herself) and Mickey Mouse's clubhouse (himself) are the current favourites. Dora and the Snow Princess has been on a lot since Santa brought the DVD - and I have to say I love it!

But don't get me started on the weirdos in Balamory...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

"What was your favorite part of the show"

When you got battered to a ****in' pulp & your twitching corpse was macerated to a fine slurry !!!!!!

"That was my favorite part too".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

My daughter is obsessed with Peppa, she doesnt act like her though other than wanting to jump in puddles. I did also get this tattoo as a laugh for her :)

316716_103700353075653_100003070668690_28636_1702396743_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I saw your Peppa and George tattoo on the Tattoos & Piercings forum a while back and absolutely loved them Melion, they're great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Tabnabs wrote: »
    How superior of you / poor you can't afford a TV and cable subscription

Strike out as necessary... :rolleyes:
    Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Your superiority grease is positively dripping . . . . well done you.

Is this absolutely necessary? No personal abuse please. Ayla was actually on topic but these two posts are attacking the poster not the post. Let's not do that again shall we?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

My little man is too young to notice tv really, but I love Tinga Tales :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We love Little Einsteins:)
    It is both the girls favourite show and it is educational too,we are a fairly musical house hold to begin with so this just builds on their love of music.

We would watch Dora and Rescue pets on TG4 to help with language.

• Advertisement

Little Einsteins was a big favourite here but they've both outgrown it sadly. Educational for us adults too, I never knew Dvořák's first name was Antonin until I watched that series!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement