Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sewerage coming up through shower drain

Options
  • 11-01-2012 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any advice.

The last day or so when you flush the toilet it doesn't properly go down and now sewerage (poo and old tissues basically) is coming up the shower drain.

It's a fairly old house (1960s) spilt into apartments.

Usually when I'm cleaning the bathroom I put some bleach down the drain to break down anything that's down there - it's a open drain but I have a one of those stoppers on it to collect hair and whatever else so we've been keeping unclogged, but I don't know what the story is with whoever lived here before.

Is this something I can sort out myself or will we need to get a plumber out?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

It's more than likely a blockage somewhere and you'll probably have to get a drain cleaner rather that a plumber, unless you have sewer rods. Caustic soda of any drain unblockers won't get near the problem at this stage as there's probably too much water in the drains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

A job for the professionals

Call out Dynorod or there are plenty of others who do it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Dynorod will sort it out, I tried some of the other suppliers but always back to Dynorod. See if they detail what the blockage is, in my house the neighbour always blamed my house for blocking up and Dynorod found a dropped pipe on her property :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Scamp- wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has any advice.

The last day or so when you flush the toilet it doesn't properly go down and now sewerage (poo and old tissues basically) is coming up the shower drain.

It's a fairly old house (1960s) spilt into apartments.

Usually when I'm cleaning the bathroom I put some bleach down the drain to break down anything that's down there - it's a open drain but I have a one of those stoppers on it to collect hair and whatever else so we've been keeping unclogged, but I don't know what the story is with whoever lived here before.

Is this something I can sort out myself or will we need to get a plumber out?

Depends if you are a tenant or landlord.
    If you are a tenant, it is the landlord's responsibility. Contact him.
    If you are a landlord, follow the advice of previous posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Scamp-

Tenant.

Some bad ass drain cleaner and a plunger to to toilet seems to have done the trick. Gonna leave if overnight to double check but it seems sorted.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Well hope it is sorted. I had a similar problem at Christmas. Thankfully all the bad stuff was floated outside. We got the professionals who sorted it out in 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The most common problem these days is the 'extra strength' tissue papers (that don't break down when they come in contact with water) building-up and blocking the drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Scamp-

Victor wrote: »
    The most common problem these days is the 'extra strength' tissue papers (that don't break down when they come in contact with water) building-up and blocking the drain.

Ha, no chance of that!

Our landlord had it fixed before I woke up yesterday, so it must have been happening to the other apartments as well.

Thanks for all the help!

Advertisement