Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trek v. Ridley?

Options
  • 11-01-2012 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Dear all

I am looking form some advice. I am upgrading my current bike (entry level specialized). I have seen two bikes which I like that are in the same price range. one is a Trek Madone and the other is a Ridley Orion. I have included the Spec's below and would appreciate advice as to which is the all round better bike considering they cost the same.

Thanks in advance :D

Bike Trek Madone 4.5 H2

Frame TCT Carbon Series 4, E2, DuoTrap compatible
    Fork Bontrager Race Lite Aluminum w/E2 steerer, carbon legs
    Saddle Bontrager Affinity 1, steel rails
    Seat Post Bontrager Carbon, 20mm Offset
    Handlebars Handlebar: Bontrager Race VR C, 31.8mm
    Stem Stem: Bontrager Race Lite, 7 degree, 31.8mm
    Shifters, Crankset, Derailleurs Shimano 105 STI, 10 speed
    Brakes Tektro R540á
    Crankset: Shimano R600
    Rear Cogs: Shimano 105 11-28, 10 speed
    Wheelset: Bontrager SSR
    Tyres: Bontrager R1, 700x23c

Bike Ridley Orion 1105B

Frame Orion 1105B carbon monocoque frame
    Fork 4ZA Orion 1105A
    Saddle 4ZA Stratos
    Seat Post 4ZA Stratos
    Handlebars 4ZA Stratos
    Stem 4ZA Stratos
    Shifters, Crankset, Derailleurs Shimano Ultegra
    Brakes 4ZA Brakes
    Crankset: Ultegra 6700
    Rear Cogs: Cassette 105
    Wheelset: Fulcrum Racing 7
    Tyres: Vredestein Fortezza

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Don't know what size you are looking for, but if it's small this may be of interest; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056510692

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

The Trek gets top marks in the January Cycling Plus magazine. While its a lower grade of carbon compared to the higher end models it now incorporates the same build process (OCLV) as the higher models which gives it a better ride quality, so they say!

Also comes with mudguard mounts and clearance which is very handy round here.

Edit: Ah you say the 4.5, didn't see, the review was for the 2012 3.5! Is that a discounted 4.5 model from last year your looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

I have the 1105A version of the Orion, which is black with red highlights as opposed to matt black. Great bike; very stiff and handles great. Wouldn't be as comfortable as a Madone, mind. The Madone's have a slightly more relaxed geometry and slightly shorter top tubes.

Both are good bikes, but the spec on the Ridley is the better of those two, and is a bit firmer a ride if you're racing. Also, it's on the Euro Cyclists approved list!

Whichever you get, you'll enjoy.

EDIT: The wheelset on the Ridley might swing it strongly in that direction for me; the Fulcrum Racing 7's are a far better wheelset than the Bont's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 doshea003

Guys, thanks for your replies. After consideration I decided to go for the Ridley given the spec, in particular the Wheelset and groupset.

Will post a pic on its arrival.

cheers
    Don

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Excellent choice. Another Ridley owner though.......our exclusivity (aka. brand snobbery) is waning.
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 betsonc

Lads, I have a Ridley Tempo and love it. However having issues with the free wheel body and just yesterday my rear axle broke. Local bike shops can't seem to source the appropriate parts. They're made by 4ZA(Forza). CycleSuperstore in Tallaght don't stock them either and need to order them but when I ordered the free wheel body some months back no one ever call me back to say it arrived. Bad service really. Anyone know anywhere else 4ZA stuff can be got or any advice on swapping the wheels for Mavics or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

betsonc wrote: »
    Lads, I have a Ridley Tempo and love it. However having issues with the free wheel body and just yesterday my rear axle broke. Local bike shops can't seem to source the appropriate parts. They're made by 4ZA(Forza). CycleSuperstore in Tallaght don't stock them either and need to order them but when I ordered the free wheel body some months back no one ever call me back to say it arrived. Bad service really. Anyone know anywhere else 4ZA stuff can be got or any advice on swapping the wheels for Mavics or similar?

Richies in Swords might be worth a shot. They carry a lot of Ridley and 4ZA stuff. My 4ZA Stratos freewheel seized up and I replaced the wheel with Shimano SH10. I might try to get the 4ZA one repaired, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 betsonc

Thanks for that - Just called Richies now. Nice guy. The smaller shops give better service. Cycle Superstore have a switchboard for f*ck sake so you never get to speak to the same guy and end up having to explain your situation every time you call. Richies might even have it in stock - happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

betsonc wrote: »
    . CycleSuperstore in Tallaght don't stock them either and need to order them but when I ordered the free wheel body some months back no one ever call me back to say it arrived. Bad service really. Anyone know anywhere else 4ZA stuff can be got or any advice on swapping the wheels for Mavics or similar?

CSS can be a bit sloppy when it comes to updating you on ordered parts arriving. TBH, I just tend to regard it as my job to call them when I know/guess the product should arrive into stock (based on what they estimate when I order) - not ideal, but.....

That said, they are pretty good in many aspects of ordering bits - some LBS wont even do this - and the guys in there are generally very helpful.

Maybe give them another chance (or - as I have done - ask to speak to one of the managers to voice your disappointment, we tend not to complain to the source of our problems as much as we do to third parties ;)).

Advertisement