Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samoyed in heat

• 11-01-2012 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Hi all, my 6 month old Sammie is in heat at the moment. I noticed stray dogs sniffing around in the last week, and today I see some spotting. For how long should I keep her on "lockdown" before she is safe to mingle with other dogs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

At least 3 weeks minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

3 Weeks from now?? Met a vet at work last night and he said, a week coming in to heat, a week in, and a week out. As soon as you spot blood its start of second week he said? And should be safe towards end of 3rd week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

All dogs have different cycles, there is only about 3 days during heat when the dog can get pregnant but this period could be anytime between day 3 and day 18 so I would air on the side of caution and keep her in lock down for the full 3 weeks as there is always exceptions to general rule.

Yes, 3 weeks is usually how long the season lasts, but the they are usally mated on a certain days on the heat, but, they can still get pregnant if they are mated on other days. Some females are ready at the start, some near the end and so on, so i wouldnt take that chance. I have to kepe mine separate for at least 3 weeks.
    I can get to day ten before my male goes completely crazy, then one or the other goes off to my parents for a while, its a disaster.

On another note...why the f**k don't people keep their dogs in at night time, or at least get them neutered. 2 dogs outside now barking like mad and both of them at least 10 years of age.

• Advertisement

Sorry to drag up this thread again. Bella will be one year old in June, and I've decided to get her neutered. I was going to have pups with her next year maybe, but I've decided agains it...she is such a pleasant dog and I'd be afraid it would ruin her. (Neighbours Siberian Husky had 11 pups, 2 of which died last week, and the mother is apparantely in bits after it. There's no way I could do that to her.)
    Anyway, she is due in heat next month, so when is the ideal time to get it done? Any advice appreciated.

Talk to your vet about this as they are the professionals who can advise you best. We are not qualified to give that type of advice.

They might spay her now for you, but they might think its too close to her season to spay her but the vet will advise you whats best.

Ok what's the difference between spaying and neutering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

slookie wrote: »

Spaying is females - The ovaries and uterus are removed.

Neutering is males - Testicles are removed.

Ok cheers for that...well spaying is what I obviously meant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Ok cheers for that...well spaying is what I obviously meant!

You did ask ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

SingItOut wrote: »

Spaying is females - The ovaries and uterus are removed.

Neutering is males - Testicles are removed.

As a matter of fact, neutering applies to both males and females.
    So you can neuter both sexes.
    You castrate a male (remove testicles), and spay a female (remove uterus and ovaries)

Advertisement