Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Direct debit

• 11-01-2012 6:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭

Do you like the way things are direct debit. I myself like to get the bill in the post and pay it that way.

I hate thinking a company has your bank details like that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i like the handyness of direct debit.

getting things in the post always scares me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

cena wrote: »
    Do you like the way things are direct debit. I myself like to get the bill in the post and pay it that way.

I hate thinking a company has your bank details like that.

They don't magically get them, you have to sign up for a direct debit.

Anyway: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Attabear

It's very handy.

I find I don't have to think.....or remember stuff.

I hate remembering stuff!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Direct debit works fine for me, I have a memory like a sieve. I do check my bills when they come in, but I'd prefer then if they just took the money rather than me having to go to the effort of paying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

FatherLen wrote: »
    i like the handyness of direct debit.

getting things in the post always scares me.

I thought I was the only one that gets scared of the post coming. My heart starts racing.

But I find direct debit is a waste for people that don't save in the bank etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I use to like direct debit until I saw "You have insufficient funds" at the ATM. Apparently the bank decided to pay my mortgage despite me not having funds and put me in overdraft. I was originally told that if the money wasn't in the account the direct debit would be deferred for two weeks then paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Only use it for recurring bills that are a set charge. Broadband, insurance etc. A bill that goes up for down every month like the ESB or landline wouldnt go on DD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I prefer to transfer money myself instead of direct debit. My income isn't the same every week so I'd be afraid of having no money to pay something or a company having control over taking my money like that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Direct Debit is a license for people to rob you blind and i really dislike them and avoid having Direct Debits at all costs!

Take Eircom... once they stiffed me out of over €500 by Direct Debit, thankfully, the bank manager in the AIB reversed it straight away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

DD can lead to very dodgy scenarios. Better to avoid if possible, though I do have one for my car insurance. Keeping track of the one is grand. If I had multiple payments flying out of my account without my involvement I'd go just a little bit loopy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

When I was a bit richer I had quite a few, now I am down to just four(mortgage, phone and gas, elec). What annoys me about them is that when you have no money the bank charges 10e and pushes me futher into O/D.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't see a problem with companies having my bank details. It's secure and a legitimate practice. Who has or knows anyone that has been a victim of fraud by companies via direct debit details? I get a discount on my electricity for it too. It's not designed for people to rip you off - if they take too much in error, they hardly keep it. :confused:
    I avoid it when I can, simply because I can't always guarantee I'll have the funds, but I do have some direct debits and know the date they'll be taken out, and the amount. The electricity one - I get an online bill two weeks in advance to ensure I put the funds in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

ESB took 600 euros on me once and made me wait 2 weeks to get it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

MagicSean wrote: »
    I use to like direct debit until I saw "You have insufficient funds" at the ATM. Apparently the bank decided to pay my mortgage despite me not having funds and put me in overdraft. I was originally told that if the money wasn't in the account the direct debit would be deferred for two weeks then paid.

This is only a recent change, I got caught as it changed with a bill having been told it wouldn't be taken. It took weeks but in the end the bank took the hit and refunded me as they had mislead me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

Don't really check my post anymore, if I see a bill arrive it's just an announcing how much will be withdrawn and don't bother opening it. Hate bills.

Advertisement