Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile broadband in Dripsey

Options
  • 11-01-2012 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Anyone got mobile broadband out in Dripsey?(Vodafone, 3, O2 etc) Around the model village area. I gather the main connections there are via phoneline.

Trying to find out what signal is like there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Vodafone is the very best ~ don't touch anything else. That area of Dripsey is poor. Are you considering a static mobile application?

I can vouch for the Vodafone USB mobile, it's robust and will send my pictures from almost anywhere, on the move too, even if I pass through a no signal area it will either keep the connection so avoiding logging in again.

I am speaking of the USB Modem, not through the pathetic modems on smartphones, the service just does not work even in the best 3G area, the USB Modem is the very best ~ it's about €15 a month too.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

gbee wrote: »
    Vodafone is the very best ~ don't touch anything else. That area of Dripsey is poor. Are you considering a static mobile application?

I can vouch for the Vodafone USB mobile, it's robust and will send my pictures from almost anywhere, on the move too, even if I pass through a no signal area it will either keep the connection so avoiding logging in again.

I am speaking of the USB Modem, not through the pathetic modems on smartphones, the service just does not work even in the best 3G area, the USB Modem is the very best ~ it's about €15 a month too.

Well I did order Eircom but they are a bit of a joke and haven't even called out yet, so looking at alternatives. Might go for Vodafone dongle, I think VF have put up a new mast in the area, so reception might have improved!
    My girlfriend can get a 1 MB connection on her phone now, before hand there was no 3G at all, even I can get some sort of connection on Meteor but it's far lower.

I'd be looking at thier Mobile Wi-Fi device, but it seems to be "sold out" at the moment whatever that means!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

One thing to keep an eye on with those dongles is the memory allowance.

I had one briefly two years ago on prepay, and taught 5gb would be more than enough for a month.

The likes of youtube or any other sites that rely on flash player will eat up data very fast. The software keeps track of what your using though

A flash-blocker add on for google chrome will help stop all unwanted flash ads from loading without you clicking on them

My own Dongle was defective, but wasn't worth the hassle of returning it

I kept having to reset the connection by closing the main program and opening it again and switching the dongle to another usb port

Also if you go for a Vodafone dongle and ever need to, any outstanding credit can be transferred from the dongles sim to any other vodafone sim very easily

• Registered Users Posts: 2 OliviaCole

Absolutely nothing some parts.of the model village upper mostly

Advertisement