Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Won a competition, but no prize!

Options
  • 11-01-2012 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

I won a competition on a website for 2 nights in Galway, and they announced on the the site. This was the beginning of November. After numerous emails sent I finally got a phonecall stating i wasnt entitled to the prize as i wasnt a holder of a 'discount card' they were promoting.

I looked at the T&C's of the comp and it never mentioned anything about the card so I challenged them on it and it and they finally said i could have the prize.

Well still no prize, they asked me for dates for when they could book me in etc, sent them but they wouldnt tell me what hotel it was. Got an email this morning after sending loads more emails saying they would now be contacting me in Feb, but it basically was a 'feck off' email.

Any ideas, have i any leg to stand on? And what should be my next step?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I can't offer any advice OP, but I Googled and came across this link, might be a worth a read.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2002/en/act/pub/0014/index.html

Hope you get your prize.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I can't offer any advice OP, but I Googled and came across this link, might be a worth a read.

Hope you get your prize.
    The Competition Act is not about how competitions should be run or prizes given out. Its about ensuring fair competition between businesses in the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

The Competition Act is not about how competitions should be run or prizes given out. Its about ensuring fair competition between businesses in the market.
    Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Thanks for that, I hadn't actually read info on the link before I posted it so didn't realise it wasn't about competitions.

Apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

maiden wrote: »
    I won a competition on a website for 2 nights in Galway, and they announced on the the site. This was the beginning of November. After numerous emails sent I finally got a phonecall stating i wasnt entitled to the prize as i wasnt a holder of a 'discount card' they were promoting.

I looked at the T&C's of the comp and it never mentioned anything about the card so I challenged them on it and it and they finally said i could have the prize.

Well still no prize, they asked me for dates for when they could book me in etc, sent them but they wouldnt tell me what hotel it was. Got an email this morning after sending loads more emails saying they would now be contacting me in Feb, but it basically was a 'feck off' email.

Name & shame would be the next step I'd take. Not necessarily here but put it out there on local radio stations etc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hope you get your prize.

lol, that's ****ing hilarious.

OP, does this company have somewhere, like a forum on their website, where you can give out stink publicly? Companies don't tend to like bad publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Talk to Joe on 1850715815, but don't mention The Competition Act!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

The Lotteries and Gaming Act is more relevant but TBH it seems like a contact issue, if anything

• Registered Users Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭irishgeo

maiden wrote: »

small claims court for the "value" of the prize.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

irishgeo wrote: »
    small claims court for the "value" of the prize.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/courts_system/small_claims_court.html
    You can't use the SCC for a missing prize.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

That fecking ejit? Hes only a sensationalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 closecall

lol:D

Advertisement