Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

automatic lamb feeder

• 11-01-2012 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi Folks, I am looking for a system that can automatically feed surplus lambs. Every year we are left with about 10-15 lambs that need to be bottled fed which is very time consuming. Any ideas on a system that can be used to automatically feed pet lambs. If so where can you get this?

I heard about a milk maid bucket... Any opinions on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Kevin the sheep

Hay top dog i rear about twenty lambs every year and used to bottle feed them but got the ewe2lamb feeder last year its brilliant mix in the morning and at night and they will drink themselves once put onto it once or twice it keeps the milk at a constent temperature it holds twenty liters so half a liter per lamb per mix

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭top_dog

Hay top dog i rear about twenty lambs every year and used to bottle feed them but got the ewe2lamb feeder last year its brilliant mix in the morning and at night and they will drink themselves once put onto it once or twice it keeps the milk at a constent temperature it holds twenty liters so half a liter per lamb per mix

Hey kevin that sounds perfect!! Do you know where I could pick one up and hopw much would they cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Highland

Agree - have one too, top job. Volac sell them, they are around €250 and you get a voucher for volac products

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Highland

Agree - have one too, top job. Volac sell them, they are around €250 and you get a voucher for volac products

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Sturdy products in wicklow sell one as well. I dont know the price, sorry. Iirc, there is a milk container and pipes to bring the milk to the nipples that passes through a water container of heated water but once the lambs reach about a month the heater is switched off.

I am thinking of getting something, like yourself, have a few lambs and they take a nice bit of time. Here is a link

http://www.sturdyproducts.com/_product_47251/Sturdy_Animal_Surrogate_Feeder

I tried a feeder over a gate for lambs but it was a disaster for me. One bugger kept knocking and spilling the milk so i stayed on bottles but maybe they have to go on it earlier?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

5live wrote: »
    Sturdy products in wicklow sell one as well. I dont know the price, sorry. Iirc, there is a milk container and pipes to bring the milk to the nipples that passes through a water container of heated water but once the lambs reach about a month the heater is switched off.

I am thinking of getting something, like yourself, have a few lambs and they take a nice bit of time. Here is a link

http://www.sturdyproducts.com/_product_47251/Sturdy_Animal_Surrogate_Feeder

I tried a feeder over a gate for lambs but it was a disaster for me. One bugger kept knocking and spilling the milk so i stayed on bottles but maybe they have to go on it earlier?

This is what I use to rear pet lambs, fill the bucket once a day with cold milk and forget about them.
    lamb%20bucket%20with%203%20teats.jpg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

rancher wrote: »
    This is what I use to rear pet lambs, fill the bucket once a day with cold milk and forget about them.
    lamb%20bucket%20with%203%20teats.jpg.jpg
    Thanks rancher. Thats like the one i tried but the biggest lad kept knocking it. How do you keep it off the ground and how many lambs would it feed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

5live wrote: »
    Thanks rancher. Thats like the one i tried but the biggest lad kept knocking it. How do you keep it off the ground and how many lambs would it feed?

Definitely the hanging bracket that is supplied with it, isn't good enough,I made one out of steel with longer lugs that is doing the job. I usually put up to eight lambs on a three teated bucket, I also have a one teated bucket that feeds three

Advertisement