Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner questions

Options
  • 11-01-2012 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭

I picked up a couple of 1/72 plastic models before christmas, revell 1/72 (Pz Kpfw III Ausf M. & StuG 40 Ausf. G). I made a few of these airfix kinds of models years ago but they were never very good. So, now I have the brushes (4x sable brushes small down to tiny), paints (matched from a catalogue of a different brand), glue, scalpel with file.

Before giving these a go the main questions I have are -

Is a mini airbrush required - will it make much of a difference to the final finish ?

Should I paint these pieces before assembly - if so is there a rule of thumb on which ones to paint, will the glue work as well if any bits are painted ?

Is there anything else missing /points to consider ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

I picked up a couple of 1/72 plastic models before christmas, revell 1/72 (Pz Kpfw III Ausf M. & StuG 40 Ausf. G). I made a few of these airfix kinds of models years ago but they were never very good. So, now I have the brushes (4x sable brushes small down to tiny), paints (matched from a catalogue of a different brand), glue, scalpel with file.

Before giving these a go the main questions I have are -

Is a mini airbrush required - will it make much of a difference to the final finish ? NOT 'REQUIRED' .UNLESS ABSOLUTELY ROLLING IN CASH BEST LEFT UNTIL YOUVE BUILT UP A BIT OF EXPERIENCE.THINNING PAINT IS A MASSIVE HELP IN AVOIDING BRUSHMARKS -MAYBE 10-25% -IT ALMOST CERTAINLY WONT COVER THE PLASTIC ON FIRST COAT,BE PATIENT AND USE 2-3 THIN COATS -WASHING KIT IN SLIGHTLY SOAPY WATER BEFOREHAND IS IMPORTANT TO REMOVE 'WAX' ON PLASTIC .

Should I paint these pieces before assembly - if so is there a rule of thumb on which ones to paint, will the glue work as well if any bits are painted ?SOME 'SMALL' PIECES ARE PAINTED ON SPRUE BEFORE OTHERS ESPECIALLY LARGER PARTS NOT -GLUE WILL NOT WORK AS WELL IF AT ALL IN CONTACT WITH PAINT

Is there anything else missing /points to consider ?PLANE MODELLERS (MORE SO THAN TANKS) CAN BE VERY PARTICULAR ABOUT FILLING GAPS AT JOINTS(ESPECIALLY AT FUSELAGE HALVES) TO MAKE MODELS LOOK MORE REALISTIC .THIS CAN BE A TRICKY SKILL TO PERFECT .OFTEN NOT AS CRITICAL WITH TANKS THOUGH....SOME OLD TANK TRACKS WONT KOIN WITH ORDINARY KIT GLUE AND YOU HAVE TO USE A HOT SCREWDRIVER TO MELT THEM TOGETHER

This is a handy all round just released book .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Airfix-Book-Scale-Modelling/dp/1844861260/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326308881&sr=1-2

Not sure if it was sold on irish market .I got it in UK at Christmas .You can borrow or buy(9?) it from me if you like .Im in Leixlip.

By the way you need to do your homwork before buying kits .There could be two kits side by side ,say eg an Airfix and a Revell lancaster bomber and they could differ enormously in quality.Many Airfix kits ,if not most are VERY old 'moulds' -some up to 50 years old.Generally the newer moulded kits are far nicer .The Revell P51B is an absolute beaut apart from the canopy and their 1/144 Starfighter is sweet too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Thanks for that.

Advertisement