Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cider Kits

Options
  • 11-01-2012 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

ive just got a can of Blackrock cider kit, This is my first cider kit, how can i make the most of it, i was going to add some (5L) apple juice to it. So any sugestions to help me make the most of it. Already dreaming of this over some rocks on a hot sunny day in summer. Any help would be be appriciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭covey09

Are there no cider brewers on here, fine that hard to believe!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I put my first cider kit on yesterday. I think most people who make cider make it from juice. Kits seem unnecessarily complex.

Apple juice is probably just going to ferment out. A cup of strong tea is good for adding body, and I've had good results with adding a kilo of oil-free raisins. I also prime with Splenda as well as sugar to add sweetness: the usual amount of priming sugar, then half as much again of Splenda.

I've been told that grating a crab apple into the fermenter is good for adding appley flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I'm currently drinking a batch of very basic turbo cider made with Lidl cloudy apple juice.

I added nothing to the cloudy juice and used a cider yeast with sweetener mixed in.

This produced an exceedingly drinkable cider at about 6% before priming. I used Cooper's carbonation drops to prime.

The yeast I used

This turned out much nicer than I expected, I'd pick my own over Bulmer's every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭covey09

BeerNut wrote: »
    I put my first cider kit on yesterday. I think most people who make cider make it from juice. Kits seem unnecessarily complex.

Apple juice is probably just going to ferment out. A cup of strong tea is good for adding body, and I've had good results with adding a kilo of oil-free raisins. I also prime with Splenda as well as sugar to add sweetness: the usual amount of priming sugar, then half as much again of Splenda.

I've been told that grating a crab apple into the fermenter is good for adding appley flavour.

I put it on yesterday with a 10L of juice and water to 20L, would i be ok to put the tea in now fermentation is only starting now, as i write this i'm think i would have to wait for the tea to cool incase it shocks the yeast on top. I normally bottle prime (dont have 2nd fermenter yet)with the drops could i used the little splenda pellets (im lazy), Thanks for the advice. I was thinking it might turn out like a apple wine rather than cider (not that i even know the difference).Already looking out for my next kit any recomendations, ive done the coppers Canadian, European, Pilsner (my fav so far), ipa (condtioning) and this cider so any rescipes would be great.

covey09 wrote: »
    would i be ok to put the tea in now
    I can't think why not.
    could i used the little splenda pellets (im lazy)
    I don't think they'll dissolve. Plus, those pellets are insanely expensive compared to the powder.
    I was thinking it might turn out like a apple wine rather than cider (not that i even know the difference).
    Cider is apple wine. Wine is grape cider. Fruit juice + yeast in both cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

hardCopy wrote: »
    I'm currently drinking a batch of very basic turbo cider made with Lidl cloudy apple juice..

I see that yeast is for 25L - how much cider did you brew?

Is it possible to store yeast once it's been opened?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Sky King wrote: »
    hardCopy wrote: »
    I'm currently drinking a batch of very basic turbo cider made with Lidl cloudy apple juice..

I see that yeast is for 25L - how much cider did you brew?

Is it possible to store yeast once it's been opened?

I did 23 litres of juice, no added water or sugar.

It's a dry yeast so you might be able to keep half a sachet if using a smaller batch, I haven't tried this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Ah right.

Plus I see it's only a Euro - hardly going to break me :)

I used that presweetened cider yeast on a batch last year. A 5L batch :rolleyes: The end result is just a little bit too sweet...

Advertisement