Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do You Still Watch TV?

• 11-01-2012 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭

...I mean just sit down and watch it for hours at a time without having one eye on your laptop/desktop/smart phone/Ipad or whatever.

If so, what do you watch?

My days of just sitting down and watching TV seem sto be over, even if there's a match on or whatever I'll have the laptop open looking up ****e that I don't need to be looking up really.

Do ye think that after a while people will stop having TV's in their sitting rooms?

Yer Ma's.

Do You Still Watch TV 100 votes

Yes, couldn't live without it.
    0% 0 votes
    Only if there's something big on like a Match.
    27% 27 votes
    Never, I download/stream everything.
    43% 43 votes
    Only Hollyoaks.
    30% 30 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

The TV Tax crap was enough for me to give it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Nope. I stream what I want to watch as there's an ungodly amount of shite on t.v, and its never my favorite shows.

If there's a match on, I'll pop a cable between my laptop and t.v and watch liveonlinefooty.com in HD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Yes. No point paying for it and not using it.

But, as above, there is some god awful ****e on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Only for very select programmes - then its switched off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Very little. The news and the odd documentary. TV is dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Tv has gone to the dogs.

Literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

Poll added, for people who like polls and left clicking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Rarely these days unless its something specific and usually a once. Mostly it'll be a political or current affairs program.

I have loads of box sets and i am working my wah through these instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Still watch TV but always with one eye on the laptop.

Actually, watching big sporting/political events or tv shows with twitter on at the same time (eg #aras2011 etc) is incredible fun! :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Poll added, for people who like polls and left clicking.

Should be an option for "Select programmes - not just BIG ones".
    It would be inaccurate for me to vote with the present options.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

Biggins wrote: »
    Should be an option for "Select programmes - not just BIG ones".
    It would be inaccurate for me to vote with the present options.

That's a shame:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

I gave up watching TV 7 years ago. I don't miss it at all. I go out more and do things. I watch DVD's on my laptop, listen to music, and read more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I swear I don't watch Eastenders.. I just have it on for ambient background noise

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭William_Hicley

Wheres the NO option? I dont download/stream anything, and I dont watch soccer/football/hurling whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

voted all options

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

I got rid of my tv a couple of months back. I hardly ever watched it and I didn't want to pay the tv license, so out it went. The only time I miss it is when I can't get a good stream for football matches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I selectively watch terrestrial television.

I do however watch ''recorded'' shows 90% of the time, and have been known to sit down and watch a whole season of a program in one day, far FAR better than waiting a week between episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I have TV on in the background while I'm on the web. If something is really interesting I'll stop surfin' and start watchin' TV but it has to be really interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Selectively, wouldn't just sit there and watch anything for the sake of it. In recent years my viewing has been whittled down to a few chosen sitcoms and maybe the odd good film. Used to watch US dramas but all the ones I liked are finished now. Somehow this has resulted in me reading more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I swear I don't watch Eastenders.. I just have it on for ambient background noise

The only ambient background noise would be some tart shouting, 'You's well is a slag'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I enjoy watching the Hairy Bikers.

There. I said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I selectively watch terrestrial television.

I do however watch ''recorded'' shows 90% of the time, and have been known to sit down and watch a whole season of a program in one day, far FAR better than waiting a week between episodes.

Depends... it can be frustrating but there is that sense of anticipation. Shows like Prison Break and Lost worked well in this respect. Though with sitcoms probably less so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Gave up TV 7 years ago and I never miss it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

I have one but to be quite frank,THERE IS HARDILY ANYTHING WORTH WATCHING ON IT NOW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Dude111 wrote: »
    I have one but to be quite frank,THERE IS HARDILY ANYTHING WORTH WATCHING ON IT NOW!

The News will be on at 9 o'clock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Only when hungover or without internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

only when my internet dosnt work really, i could live happily without tv, as long as i have a good internet connection....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

stream movies but occasionally sit down in front of tv for docu or something interesting with fire alight, especially after working week is over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Watch Top Gear episodes when on, F1 when on and recently the Dakar rally coverage and that's about all the TV i get...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Richie90

I watch matches or something like MOTD.

Also for some reason if there is a good movie on TV I'll watch it even though I could stream it without ads quite easily. I guess some habits "die hard".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Very very rarely. Maybe 1 show every 5-6 months if even that. Stopped watching it about 3 years ago

Advertisement