Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catholic church/chapel for a renewal ceremony?

Options
  • 11-01-2012 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I'm from the US but currently studying at UCD for my masters. My family is planning on coming over in April to visit and it happens to coincide with my parents 25th wedding anniversary. I was hoping to try to plan a surprise renewal ceremony for them and I'm looking for advice on places to do so. I'm looking for something outside Dublin (a little more green and picturesque) but hopefully within driving distance since that's where my family will be staying. A nice small chapel would be better since it will most likely just be my immediate family attending. I've seen a few cute places but they seem to be more Church of Ireland than Catholic. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

emacdonald wrote: »
    I'm from the US but currently studying at UCD for my masters. My family is planning on coming over in April to visit and it happens to coincide with my parents 25th wedding anniversary. I was hoping to try to plan a surprise renewal ceremony for them and I'm looking for advice on places to do so. I'm looking for something outside Dublin (a little more green and picturesque) but hopefully within driving distance since that's where my family will be staying. A nice small chapel would be better since it will most likely just be my immediate family attending. I've seen a few cute places but they seem to be more Church of Ireland than Catholic. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Jeez, a surprise renewal ceremony, you might wanna check with them first !!:rolleyes:

They might allow a catholic priest utilise the actual chapel of another faith (for a fee of course), failing that one can have a civil renewal/reception almost anywhere nowadays here.

Nice little RC church in Stepaside if I remember correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I agree with vicwatson. Our Lady of the Wayside in Stepaside is picturesque, and very convenient to the south city, which is presumably where you live. It's the parish church, but it's quite small, and very pretty. Timber-clad and painted pale blue and white.

It looks like this.

But I also agree that you can't have a "surprise" renewal ceremony. The renewal of their commitment is a decision that your parents have to take for themselves; however confident you may be that they would choose to renew their commitment, it's wrong on several levels to spring it on them by putting them in a "surprise" situation where there is an expectation that they will do this.

You wouldn't organise a surprise party for a couple to get engaged at, would you?

You can certainly organise an anniversary mass. If your parents want to use the opportunity to renew their marriage vows, they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

Have to agree, I've never heard of a surprise renewal service! Hope it works out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

What about the University Chapel across from Stephens Green? You can walk down to Merrion square too.
    http://www.universitychurch.ie/

Otherwise for RC i think the more "picturesque" countryside Deaneries are self evident
    Ok Ill mention Wicklow Blessington/Enniskerry et.

Although you can stay ion dublin Howth is a nice spot on the Dart Line with lots of walks/views of Dublin Killiney Dalkey and Stepaside might offier similaR ON THE sOUTHSIDE .

http://www.dublindiocese.ie/guidebook/deanery

• Registered Users Posts: 15 emacdonald

Thank you all for the advice! And just to clarify... the ceremony was my dad's idea to do in Ireland and the only one it is actually a surprise for is my mom. They've talked about doing it when I return from Ireland but dad is trying to show a rare moment of romance (with me doing all of the work planning it!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

emacdonald wrote: »
    Thank you all for the advice! And just to clarify... the ceremony was my dad's idea to do in Ireland and the only one it is actually a surprise for is my mom. They've talked about doing it when I return from Ireland but dad is trying to show a rare moment of romance (with me doing all of the work planning it!)

Cute!

Check out the Book of blessings, the priest who is doing the Mass should have one, there are nice ritual blessing for married couples on their anniversary.

Advertisement