Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Travel Card

Options
  • 11-01-2012 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi
    I know that Trinity has the express student travel card service and I was just wondering if you have to be a member of the college to use it?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

You don't have to be from Trinity, you just need an acceptable student ID from your university or college.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Kwekubo wrote: »
    You don't have to be from Trinity, you just need an acceptable student ID from your university or college.
    Really, cause a friend of mine from UCD tried to get one this week and was told she had to be a Trinity student

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Lawliet wrote: »
    Really, cause a friend of mine from UCD tried to get one this week and was told she had to be a Trinity student
    I see. I haven't got my card for this year yet, but when I was in there at this time last year I distinctly remember people from another college (DBS, if I recall correctly) were getting travel cards. Perhaps the policy has changed this year, or perhaps it depends who is at the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

I'll pop in and ask so! Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Well I was in there yesterday and a girl in front of me from another college got the card there. :p Maybe it depends on who you get at the counter?!

• Advertisement

My boyf and I got ours together, and he goes to Maynooth and there was no problem!
    This was about a week ago.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I go to griffith and couldn't get one there today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

That's really weird, one of my friends from UCD got one there last year. Maybe depends who's on at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

I don't understand the logic of why someone wouldnt be served. Its not like they're ineligble, the form even asks what University you're studying in, which you have to fill in - studying in Trinity or not.

Jammyc wrote: »
    I don't understand the logic of why someone wouldnt be served. Its not like they're ineligble, the form even asks what University you're studying in, which you have to fill in - studying in Trinity or not.
    Maybe the people at the counter aren't told whether or not they should serve people from other colleges and some just assume they shouldn't

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Daire McNab

Jammyc wrote: »

Simply ticking a box does not prove that one is eligible for a Travelcard. Everyone, whether they attend Trinity or any other school/college, has to prove they are a student at the time of their application. The staff are all well aware of how the system works, as it is quite relevant to their job.

Simply ticking a box does not prove that one is eligible for a Travelcard. Everyone, whether they attend Trinity or any other school/college, has to prove they are a student at the time of their application. The staff are all well aware of how the system works, as it is quite relevant to their job.
    And so showing a valid student card from a university that isn't Trinity doesn't count?

No, it does. Anyone can get a Travelcard, they just have to prove that they are a student.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

For the people that got refused, did your form have the college stamp on it? Maybe that is the reason you were refused a card? :confused:

I went and got mine today. I filled out the form while I was there and had to have a valid student card from my college to prove I was a student and that was all. There wasn't any hassle at all - which is quite confusing, seen as it seems to be hit and miss according to above posts :confused:

IT IS NOT HIT AND MISS!!

To get a Travelcard, all one has to have is one of the following-

-A valid student photo ID card
    -A letter from the school/college with course dates + photo ID
    -A filled-in application form which has been stamped and dated by the school/college + photo ID

Anyone who fulfills any of the above 3 criteria gets a Travelcard, irrespective of what institution they attend. There is no luck involved.

IT IS NOT HIT AND MISS!!

-A filled-in application form which has been stamped and dated by the school/college + photo ID

Anyone who fulfills any of the above 3 criteria gets a Travelcard, irrespective of what institution they attend. There is no luck involved.

Incorrect, a letter from the school/college is only required for postal applications, otherwise your student I.D. is sufficient to get you a travel card. Also, the form doesn't have to be stamped & dated by the school/college unless it is a postal application, and so the letter stamped by school/college is unnecessary in that case.

See here.

Yes. A student ID card was one of the 3 different criteria, OF WHICH ONLY ONE NEEDS TO BE MET, that I mentioned.

I don't understand the problem then? It doesn't matter anyway!

In other news, I forgot to renew my card before Christmas and ended up paying heaps in adult fare getting in and out of town in the new year. Finally got the new card yesterday, grr.

IT IS NOT HIT AND MISS!!

I'm not sure you understand... We're not saying that people are not eligible for a Travelcard, we're talking about the Travelcard office in Trinity which would appear not to be sure about giving cards to people from other colleges. In which case, there is luck involved, because sometimes the people in the office accept other colleges' cards, and sometimes they don't.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure you understand... We're not saying that people are not eligible for a Travelcard, we're talking about the Travelcard office in Trinity which would appear not to be sure about giving cards to people from other colleges. In which case, there is luck involved, because sometimes the people in the office accept other colleges' cards, and sometimes they don't.

I know the place we are talking about. They always accept cards from other colleges, as long as the cards are in date. The people referred to in this thread who have been refused a Travelcard would have failed to meet any of the 3 aforementioned criteria.

I know the place we are talking about. They always accept cards from other colleges, as long as the cards are in date. The people referred to in this thread who have been refused a Travelcard would have failed to meet any of the 3 aforementioned criteria.

Not necessarily, one of them's a friend of mine and I've seen her (valid) student card...

She must've forgotten to bring it when she applied for the Travelcard. If she met any of the 3 criteria, she would've been issued with one on the spot.

My friend presented a valid student card and was still refused, so you're wrong about them always accepting cards from other colleges.

No. We always accept valid cards from other colleges. At least, we always have for the four and a half years I've worked there.

No. We always accept valid cards from other colleges. At least, we always have for the four and a half years I've worked there.
    You can say that as much as you want, but it's simply not true to claim that everyone at the counter always accepts other students cards when there are people being turned away.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Steve Higginson

My friend presented a valid student card and was still refused, so you're wrong about them always accepting cards from other colleges.

Are you sure your friend had their student card with them? Is it possible that they had forgotten it at the time and misinterpreted the reason they were refused as them being a UCD student rather than that they didn't have their ID with them at the time?

You can say that as much as you want, but it's simply not true to claim that everyone at the counter always accepts other students cards when there are people being turned away.

That is an entirely unsubstantiated claim. Unless you can categorically prove that someone was turned away for no other reason than they were a student of another institution, then you are merely repeating the same ridiculous, and baseless, assertion. I work there. I know everyone who does very well. We all know, and apply, the same rules. C.f. the 3 criteria above.

hey thanks for the replies. I think its fair say trinity issues student travel cards to students attending any college as long as you have with you valid proof that you are attending your college - leave it at that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

She must've forgotten to bring it when she applied for the Travelcard. If she met any of the 3 criteria, she would've been issued with one on the spot.

I had my valid student i.d. with me and was turned away. Stop making assumptions of incompetence please.

Advertisement