Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical Cert

Options
  • 11-01-2012 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    We had an electrician rewire our house this time last year. After doing the job he said he would post out the cert to us. We are still waiting for it despite mailing him 7 or 8 times over the past year. He ignores all mails and does not answer his phone. Is there any official body I can report him to that might put pressure on him to get the finger out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

was ,or is he a registered contractor
    if so he should be on one of these bodies
    http://reci.ie/
    http://www.ecssa.ie/
    check the find a contractor list and if he is a member report him to his association
    he may no longer be trading due to the economic climate though

also
    did he issue a completion cert to get your esb supply connected or upgraded
    if not,how did he reconnect your new fuseboard(pictures of meter cabinet would be helpful)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

Thanks Meercat,
    He's listed with RECI so I've submitted a complaint against him.

He never issued a completion cert at any stage. The fuse board was definitely upgraded as the last one was very old (big old-style ceramic fuses sticking out of it) and the new one looks quite modern. Is it possible that he did this without giving a cert to ESB? If he did he didn't tell us about it and there is no electronic cert for our house on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

ball ox wrote: »
    Thanks Meercat,
    He's listed with RECI so I've submitted a complaint against him.

He never issued a completion cert at any stage. The fuse board was definitely upgraded as the last one was very old (big old-style ceramic fuses sticking out of it) and the new one looks quite modern. Is it possible that he did this without giving a cert to ESB? If he did he didn't tell us about it and there is no electronic cert for our house on the website.

yes,it is possible to install a new fuseboard without contacting the esb
    he would have to do this "live" without disconnecting the power
    that would mean that he may not have upgraded the main tails to 16mm or that he may have broke the esb seal to do this
    this is not ideal
    i would also wonder if the main earth is neutralised
    any chance of picture of fuseboard and meter cabinet

the next step in your complaint process is that reci contact your contractor and seek an explaination and then a site visit
    this will be a long drawn out process so be patient
    the contractor may contact you in the meantime and rectify your problems and seek you to withdraw your complaint

keep us updated

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

is there any particular reason you require the cert??

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

meercat wrote: »
    yes,it is possible to install a new fuseboard without contacting the esb
    he would have to do this "live" without disconnecting the power
    that would mean that he may not have upgraded the main tails to 16mm or that he may have broke the esb seal to do this
    this is not ideal
    i would also wonder if the main earth is neutralised
    any chance of picture of fuseboard and meter cabinet

the next step in your complaint process is that reci contact your contractor and seek an explaination and then a site visit
    this will be a long drawn out process so be patient
    the contractor may contact you in the meantime and rectify your problems and seek you to withdraw your complaint

keep us updated

Thanks for the info Meerkat, I'll post here once I have an update. I'll stick up a photo during the week if I get a chance.

@liveandnetural, No particular reason, I just want the work certified as promised. I recently discovered some funny wiring when swapping out a broken thermostat and it got me wondering as to how good a job was done by this guy. It got me wondering if he didn't certify it for a reason.......
    I've also been advised that it's worth having for when I sell the property on in the future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement