Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog scared of...

• 11-01-2012 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Any idea how to cure a dogs phobia of the hoover and sweeping brushes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Any idea how to cure a dogs phobia of the hoover and sweeping brushes?

My dogs hate the hoover too. They just get well out of the way when it's in use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Leave them out where they can be seen, let your dog get used to them and reward them when they go to investigate.

Not sure how to stop the dog being scared when the vacuum is in use - but in a way staying out of your way is a good thing. My fear of them not moving would be an over familiarity with loud motorized noises - flymo anyone.... We had a dog years ago that used to chase the lawnmower so maybe I am biased there.

We occassionally leave our vacuum out unplugged in the middle of the floor - granted I was being lazy but my two after a while did come around and investigate...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Does your dog bark at the hoover? Or how does he react?

My fella would freak out and bark like a mad thing. I would tell him to stop, get him to sit, and then give him a treat, I'd keep doing this over and over and eventually he'd get it that no barking = a treat.

I'd also just leave the hoover on and not touch it for a few mins so he can get a good smell of the thing and suss it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭eoinburke67

Léan wrote: »
    Does your dog bark at the hoover? Or how does he react?

My fella would freak out and bark like a mad thing. I would tell him to stop, get him to sit, and then give him a treat, I'd keep doing this over and over and eventually he'd get it that no barking = a treat.

I'd also just leave the hoover on and not touch it for a few mins so he can get a good smell of the thing and suss it out.

she just goes into a corner and the odd time comes to look if its gone. i can understand the hoover giving her a fright but the brush is beside her even as she sleeps at night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

she just goes into a corner and the odd time comes to look if its gone. i can understand the hoover giving her a fright but the brush is beside her even as she sleeps at night

We have the opposite; wee dog loves brushes and attacks them.leaving us helpless with laughter.

Collie hates the mop so maybe it is things on long handles....snakes?

We just carry on as normal; not a great issue... NB collie sometimes reacts to the spin drier but we just wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

my collie absolutely hates the hoover, the mop and the lawnmower. If he sees them he attacks them (whether they're in use or not). Cutting the grass is a major operation; he has to be locked in the house with the blinds closed while I cut the grass. Then he gets outside after the lawnmower is cleaned and put away in the shed while I go indoors and clean the patio doors (covered in slobber from him), then I have to hoover because the grass on shoes and paws is all over the floor so he's outside with the door closed and then finally clean the outside of the patio doors.

He's exhausted afterwards though...

Advertisement