Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a house before Xmas & insurance

Options
  • 11-01-2012 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

HI,

me and 4 friends are going to OZ in december.

We will be landing in sydney about the 5th of Decmeber, what would the chances be of getting a house sorted before christmas or should we be looking at hostels till after Xmas (3/4 weeks).

We all hope to have €7k+ when we land so paying 1/2 months up front wouldn't be an issue.

Do all landlords insist on references etc or would they be happy to rent to people frech off the boat!!.

Also, what insuarance do people get when going to Oz. is backpackertravelinsurance.ie any use. Iv been told to make sure I have cover for a helicopter if injured out working in the sticks!!

So much stuff to paln, really wreacking my head. :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Firstly it's good to see you are planning ahead, normally I would say it's crazy to plan this far in advance but for Xmas it is a good idea, as a lot of hostels will start to get booked out by May.

Landing on the 5th and getting a house will be difficult, Sydney in December is choca-block, it seems like every man and his dog are looking for a place.

Also currently Sydney has a huge lack of housing inner city wise.

More than likely you'll prob have to find some backpacker friendly accomadation.
    Most professional bodies wouldn't look at 5 backpackers (unless you were looking for a 5 bedroom house) I'm guessing a 2/3 bed apartment(?)

gumtree.com.au is probably the most traveller friendly place.

Otherwise it would be good idea to book a hostel - but be warned ALWAYS read the small print for Christmas accommodation, they usually require at least 7-10 days to be booked and if you cancel you might lose either deposit or if you leave it to the last minute the whole thing.

Have a look on hostelworld.com - I think they are excellent

As for travel insurance - do a search on the forum - loads of advice for that

Advertisement