Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CFA vs CPA

Options
  • 11-01-2012 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm currently studying a BA in Finance and Economics in NUI Maynooth and I'm planning to do a Masters in Finance and My CFA exams. However I've few questions which I'm hoping some boardsie will be able to answer.

Why do a lot of financial analyst jobs require you to be a member of the CPA surely the being a member of CFA would be more appropriate?

If CPA is more appropriate for this type of job what type of jobs would one be expect to be a member of the CFA for?

Is there exemptions from some of the CFA exams for those who have a Masters in Finance?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

There are no exemptions to any of the CFA exams.

CFA is targeted towards investment analysts an accounting background is often preferred for financial analyst working within operating companies.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

SBWife wrote: »
    There are no exemptions to any of the CFA exams.

CFA is targeted towards investment analysts an accounting background is often preferred for financial analyst working within operating companies.

HTH

Thanks I'm more interested in investment side of things anyway.

Is there many investment analysts jobs in Ireland or would I have to go abroad i.e. London?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

To answer that sign up to CFA Ireland mailing list

They hold events like talks or wine tasting or different things you can go along to

They also send on available jobs and there is usually a good selection of very interesting roles.

http://www.cfasociety.org/ireland

Just register there for updates, you'll get an email every few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

heffo500 wrote: »
    Why do a lot of financial analyst jobs require you to be a member of the CPA surely the being a member of CFA would be more appropriate?

Going by the job requirements I presume the jobs you are looking at are American.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

smcgiff wrote: »
    Going by the job requirements I presume the jobs you are looking at are American.

I was looking at a Financial Analyst Job in Apple in Cork but it wasn't the only one that I've seen require CPA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

By CPA they mean the US CPA, which is pretty difficult to qualify from here ;)

Advertisement