Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opportunities Missed

Options
  • 11-01-2012 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    I have been reading posts here for the last month or so. Mostly good advice given, what I'm wondering is has many posters here missed their big opportunity because
    1. they didn't realize the potential
    2. they didn't believe in the product service
    3. didn't grasp the brief/presentation

As successful entrepreneurs surly it must be a trait that is inbreed like a cutting edge surgeon or an elite solider, and more what was the one opportunity that you turned down or walked by that went on to make a millionish.

I'm just curios is all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

To be honest, I don't think there is much point getting bothered over "what if", when it comes to such inaction. The reason is because every single person on the planet (including my Mother's dog, whom I assure you is very clever) has come up with an idea that they are excited about, that they fully believe "if they just..." would make them millions. They are sure they were on to a winner, did nothing about it and for some reason end up convincing themselves that they've missed the boat.

If you end up pursuing something, well and good if it works. If you don't, you didn't and every other possible outcome beyond that point automatically ceases to exist. E.g. if you and a mate had an idea to do something, you bailed early, and they went on to make millions, does it automatically mean if you stayed on course the outcome would certainly have been the same. Perhaps ye'd have killed each other, got nowhere, and nobody would have got what they want.

My advice to anyone with that mindset, get on with your life and stop tormenting yourself. If you are to be a financially successful, it will happen, not by itself, but certainly not by you kicking yourself over potential missed opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Three times I didnt take the initiative and go with it on previous business ideas...

On two of those occasions I was in a position, had the idea, the system, the opportunity and didnt have the courage to step forward and just do it.

Both opportunities have since become very successful - one is operating in two countries, the second (Which I assisted an acquaintance heavily in setting up as I was already half way there but not focusing on it) now has four full time employees, contracts with a large number of household names, and has left my then acquaintance financially very secure.

The third time I missed out was I guess fundamentally a combination of laziness and fear!

It has left me with more of a "Just do it" attitude - rather than waiting till everything is perfect in order to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ANewStart

I'm quite sure I'm missing a bunch right now, but as I'm (trying to be) focused on what I am doing I must leave the other aside for now.

Ah the future... a land of infinite time and opportunity!!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭janullrich

Great email Bobbytables. Makes me feel better that I have not gone with so many previous ideas but am still living ok!

Advertisement