Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My top 5 *genres I wouldnt pick up on a whim*

Options
  • 11-01-2012 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,687 ✭✭✭✭

Random top 5 that I suddenly felt like writing:

Picking up games in a gameshop or on steam/xbox live it has over many years become a lot easier to tell by simply reading the sales blurb how much the developer/publisher is bull****ting you and how much is genuine innovation. RTS, FPS, puzzle, beat em up, platformer etc. I can look at the box for about a half a minute and i'll know enough to warrant an impulse buy or not.

But there are certain genres that when I look at their steam page or pick up the box I cannot no matter how much glitter they put into selling it bring myself to buy a copy.

These are my top 5 genres that I wouldnt pick up on a whim.

*note* sports games are not included due to me not buying a sports game since winter olympics on the atari 2600 (the first of three times in my life my mother has beaten me in video games.)

NUMBER 5

PC games

And we start with a cheat.

Perhaps its years of being behind the curve on upgrading but there have been far too many times where I just skimmed by the minimal requirements that to buy a pc game without having my pc specs written on a notebook (before the time of smartphones) when in electronic boutique (this is looooong ago) would be playing with fire.

It's only at five because I am finally ahead of the curve and steam makes it a lot easier to check. But even then I still do a quick google for OS issues, 64-bit issues or graphic card issues and also because Visits to HMV or GAME today usually involve me slipping outside to exploit my iphone before coming back in for a purchase or not rather then needing me to go read/watch a review or trawl forums for player feedback.

Number 4

ADVENTURE GAMES

I will always need to see a review or a friend's recommendation before picking up an adventure game, from phoenix wright to day of the tentacle, I have always checked for some confirmation of the game's quality.

This is down to two important aspects of adventure games. The quality of the storytelling and the difficulty/absurdity of the puzzles. Neither of these can be sold via a blurb on a box and the complete and utter humilation one feels when they are completely dumbfounded by a puzzle and is forced to gamefaqs means I need someone to assure me that a BA in 20th century european history and politics will be enough for me to work out what I am doing when I boot up The Dig. (answer: it's not)

NUMBER 3

simulators

Originally I could have done a top 10 and 8-3 would have all been different simulators, racing, flying, submarine, trains etc etc. Any game that claims authenticity to some sort of vehicle will always require an overnight thought process before a purchase.

This is down to three points you really need to make sure you know you are prepared for what you are about to get yourself into.

1. Simulators tend to have bug/control issues. From flight simulators that expected me to have turned my bedroom into a boeing 747 replica to Silent hunter 5 (DOES NOT WORK!)

2. What it is simulating and how they are doing it. Oh the embarrasment of purchasing 688 sub attack for the sega mega drive. COOL DRIVE A SUBMARINE and blow **** up...(this almost game belongs in the adventure catagory too...ARGHHH WTF AM I DOING?)

3. You will actually enjoy what is being simulated. Gran turismo may be about real driving...But I really need to check if I will actually want to be acquiring all those licences or would my money be better spent being put in a joint fund to buy one of those 6 player daytona usa cabinets. For dinner parties of course

463843508_d34ac38a8a_z.jpg?zz=1

NUMBER 2:

MMO

Probably the only one on this list that is not personal preference but actual common sense.

Is this MMO still going (a question I asked myself 5 years ago when holding a boxed copy of Earth & Beyond by westwood studios
    no

Has it gone free2play?

How much am I paying monthly?

Will I end up having to download the whole thing anyway cause the installer on this cd is so out of date that it would have been cheaper and easier to just go to the game's website (in the case of E.V.E yes. yes it bloody was.)

And then the obvious one.

How does it actually play and not what it pretends to be?

You need to check these things people.

Its...NUMBER 1!

Role Playing Games

but really its JRPGS. western ones get less scrutiny because...

.....FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFU!

Ok this is completely a personal hang up buuuut its a big personal hang up.

I am incapable of buying a JRPG on a whim regardless of what they say on the box.

I loved the panzer dragoon series and I opted out of buying panzer dragoon saga on release because I wanted to go home and check some key points before purchasing. Next time I saw a physical copy of the game the asking price was over £100...

I am a sonic nut and I still had to go home and check up on a BIOWARE MADE sonic rpg before I'd consider buying it.

While I could argue its the box art that tells you nothing in almost all JRPG's to the completely content less blurbs that tend to be on their backs and the irrelevant screen shots (almost always from a cut scene) I'd by lying as these are minor issues that would have them running along side adventure games at number 4.

It is really just that part of me that likes JRPG games is also that part of me that really likes my JRPG for specific reasons and those reasons seem to be completely optional and tend to be missing from about 60% of all JRPG games in the world.

Likeable characters (f*ck you FF8!) I couldnt give a rats ass how batsh*t insane the story is but if I like the characters I'll stick with it. Sadly the average JRPG character tends to be an ass of some sort.

combat system that I can understand from one read of the instructions. This is a genuine issue I check on forums and video clips of the game. I need to know that I know wtf I am doing and that I'm somewhat doing it right. Simulators you know when you are doing it wrong cause the plane, ship, car tends to crash. You can (and I have...again f*ck you FF8) gone hours into a jrpg game and not know wtf you were doing wrong in most fights and have paid in hours of grinding/GF summoning to get that far.

Grinding....I dont think I need to say much more then that. (once more...f*ck you FF8)

and finally the number one thing I google about all JRPG's before even considering a purchase:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Does+this+game+have+random+battles%3F

I hate hate hate hate them so much that a rpg really needs to be pure f*cking gold in every other area to warrant me suffering that bullsh*t. (so far skies of arcadia and final fantasy 6 are the only ones worth it).

And that was a random top 5.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I'm with you on the JRPGs. I tried Lost Odyssey on the Xbox 360 after everyone raving about it and being a bit of RPG nut.

There's very few games that I've really found toturous to play but this was one. JRPGs are almost anti-games to me. I can't understand how people enjoy them. The setting is childish. The exploration is non-existent. The gameplay is repetitive (grinding). Combat seems to be just stats and totally detached from the game.

Hate them. Hate them. Hate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

1. FPS shooters

F*ck FPS games, right in their stupid twatty mouth.

2. Western RPGs
    I don't like them, the combat is always clunky and they expect me to click my mouse like a madman.

3. Sports titles
    I haven't picked up an easy-to-play, fun sports game since David Robinson's Supreme Court on the Megadrive. Funny how 3 buttons was more than enough!

4. Car driving games
    BORING! Why would I spend my time driving a shítty Golf GTi at 120, when I could spend it driving big-ass speedboats or hovercraft? (I wouldn't)

5. Horror games
    I like being able to sleep without needing a night light now, thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I agree with JRPGs to an extent (all the FF games, complete muck in my book), but Yakuza 3 was one of the great games i played last year. It does have the random battles which do get annoying after a good while, but other than that it's a great game with a believable main character (ass-kickery aside).

Not a sim fan either. Or MMO's, if only for the reason that i would probably die of malnutrition due to not eating.

But i also hate overly hard games. I'm looking at you Dark Souls. I enjoy a challenge, but if it demands near-Japanese skills to play? I hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,687 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Just to be clear.

This is not 5 genres I hate or anything of such.

They are 5 genres that I wouldnt pick up randomly in a shop or steam sale. I'd need to double check on key points before making a purchase.

There are still plenty of rpgs, simulator and adventure games out there I love. Its just before I purchase any of them I googled them on certain points.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Sorry m8, but really really tl;dr...

It's like a wall of walls of text from boards.ie

Can I get a shirt version? Is this just about 5 genres that you dislike etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

5 genres that involve a lot of research before he makes a purchase.

5: PC games - Too much upgrading needed
    4: Action/Adventure - Check to see if good story/easy puzzles
    3: Simulation Games: Bugs & do i really want to play a sim
    2: MMO - Is it still going, will lit cost too much, is it any good
    1: JRPG's - Especially FF8.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,687 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

1: JRPG's - Especially FF8.

that made me laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Wait, PC games are a genre now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

quarryman wrote: »
    I'm with you on the JRPGs. I tried Lost Odyssey on the Xbox 360 after everyone raving about it and being a bit of RPG nut.

There's very few games that I've really found toturous to play but this was one. JRPGs are almost anti-games to me. I can't understand how people enjoy them. The setting is childish. The exploration is non-existent. The gameplay is repetitive (grinding). Combat seems to be just stats and totally detached from the game.

Hate them. Hate them. Hate them.

I thought Lost Odyssey got a fairly mixed reception? I never got round to playing it, but IIRC it was supposed to be a self-consciously old school JRPG, which is not really a good thing IMO.

But if you want to sample a really good one, then try the recent Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii (I'm playing that at the moment), or better yet, the peerless SNES classic Chrono Trigger, which I consider to be the genre's high-water mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Zander1983

my favourite genre is the football management one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭JonB

I have a deep hate for horror games... I find most of them I played are boring. A lot of them try to play the tension building card and it just bores me. It doesn't scare me. Only horror game I truly enjoyed was Amnesia.

Also people probably hate me for this. But I'm not a big fan of mario/zelda games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

I don't mind random encounters in jrpgs.
    Edit: How else are you supposed to slowly level up without grinding?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Think you guys are just playing the wrong JRPG's. FF8 is an absolute mess of a game, battle system is way too complicated and the story is absolutely dire. I still think it's great once you understand the battle system. However that took until my second playthrough. Lost Odyssey is another mess of an RPG. Not a great battle system exasperated by how bloody long it takes for a battle to play out. The only thing that made it worth playing was the excellent stories, and not the main story which was a bit ****, but the memories stories that were great. I'd rather read them outside the game though. Also random battles aren't bad. Random battles paired with battle systems that drag on and awful load times (basically PS1 era RPGs) are a ****ing nightmare.

Now Persona 3 and 4, only gingers hate them because if you do hate them you have no soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Im gonna have to give this persona a go....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Think you guys are just playing the wrong JRPG's. FF8 is an absolute mess of a game, battle system is way too complicated and the story is absolutely dire. I still think it's great once you understand the battle system. However that took until my second playthrough. Lost Odyssey is another mess of an RPG. Not a great battle system exasperated by how bloody long it takes for a battle to play out. The only thing that made it worth playing was the excellent stories, and not the main story which was a bit ****, but the memories stories that were great. I'd rather read them outside the game though. Also random battles aren't bad. Random battles paired with battle systems that drag on and awful load times (basically PS1 era RPGs) are a ****ing nightmare.

Now Persona 3 and 4, only gingers hate them because if you do hate them you have no soul.
    Random battles are in my opinion the most irritating invention in gaming. At least games like chrono trigger showed the enemy before the battle, but as these games wore on the battles, especially the boss battles, were more a test of endurance than skill, they could go on for hours.

On topic, I don't really have an answer as there is no game I really buy on a whim, one of the things I find about gaming is that I find I spend more time researching and thinking about gaming than I do playing the actual games.

The one genre I may buy on a whim would be sports games especially coming up to a major tournament (I got the RWC2011 game the day it started). But other than that I like to know what I am buying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Bit harsh on the JRPGs there, sounds like you haven't played one since FF8! Although it can be hard to tell the wheat from the chaff with them, they can be hit and miss. (+1 for Persona 4 though)

I loathe sandbox games, well specifically I can't stand GTA (and most others are just aping it). They try to cram in so many elements that most are terribly implemented - the gun-play in GTA is appalling! The constant following of arrows on endlessly repetitive missions. And the "mature" content aimed at 14 year old oiks, tedious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

:confused:

You need to read more! :pac:

Wasn't long at all.

As mentioned here I loathe sandbox-type games. It's probably the main reason I won't pick up (or just cannot get in to) Oblivion\Skyrim\Just Cause. I dislike having too much freedom in a game. I like the safety of waypoints and going from person to person getting "jobs" (currently playing Rage so that's my train of thought).

Also agree on the sports titles. Last I played was Fifa 96 (?) on the Gamegear which had the "trick" to shoot just outside the box and score. Every. Time. You got quite bored when matches were ending in 26 - 0. I also dislike soccer so why would I want to play a video game of it? I did try Pro Evo on the psp, once.

Racing games. I just scan over them when in a shop\buying online. I think the most enjoyment I got from a racing game (except for the obvious one: Mario Kart [snes]) was F1 Race on the GameBoy. Can still hear the "boost" noise now. Wheeeeeeeeeee.

If there was a series that left me by the wayside it would be Grand Theft Auto. I like the top-down view ones. But once it became third person drive'n'shoot'm'up I left the party.

As far as RPG's go, I haven't played enough. But I agree with your opinion on FF8. Nine was almost like an apology. (Which is again where I left the series as ten and on didn't appeal to me at all!).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I don't think I'd pick up ANY genre of games which I haven't done some research into at this point, tbh. Games cost too much in general for an impulse buy.

Peer review helps a game though as I work with a load of very serious gamers, and I'll try a game on their recommendation as they know my taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I don't think I'd pick up ANY genre of games which I haven't done some research into at this point, tbh. Games cost too much in general for an impulse buy.

Peer review helps a game though as I work with a load of very serious gamers, and I'll try a game on their recommendation as they know my taste.

Or metacritic. Although again it's hard to tell if they're the ones that would poopoo a game just because it'd be "cool" to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Hmmm...replace PC games with smartphone games, and I might just agree with your list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

But i also hate overly hard games. I'm looking at you Dark Souls. I enjoy a challenge, but if it demands near-Japanese skills to play? I hate it.

The hell does this mean?

noodler wrote: »
    The hell does this mean?

It means that Asian gamers will Ussually be way better then you ever be. There are so many hardcore games with extreme challenge and skill cap they enjoy and have no problem playing. Alot of those games are not even ported to eu or us.

In short: Asian gamers are better at games then non Asians.

It's a stereotype, but I really don't think they angry about it. It's like black people having biggest gentleman sausages :).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭windingo

Very nice opening post, I don't think I could pick five genres. If I take a look at my current collection i think of got everything other than a jrpg, they drive me mad. The cheesy story, the androgynous and over the top characters etc etc etc

I still trying to figure out here: is that a games megabitch thread or just a genre of games, which you would not pick up when you shoping online or in shops, because you dont know more info about it. :)

I'll try bouth:

Sports games - I just have general dislike to all those FIFA, basketball games etc. I still can't understand how people play them. For me it looks really really boring and repetitive.
    I am not fan of sports at all, so I guess I am being extra harsh on this, but If people like them, then I am happy for them.

The rest of the stuff is grand, I love a huge variety of games, so I newer dismiss any games just on the type. I love racing sims, but I love futuristic and arcadish racers. I love realistic shooters and I love bonker idiotic ones too, etc.

As for random impulse buy in shops:

For the last 7 years I will come in to shop and will already know when is something new coming out or what games are out already. It was really really awile since I picked up box On the shelf and I would not knew what games it is or what it is about. For me browsing games is more about prices and deals. I will look at prices of titles on display and decide if I want them or not, then decide is that a good deal or I can get it cheaper.
    I love to jump in to local GameStop and check of any pc titles are on sales. I newer found some title I newer knew about, but now and then I get some nice deals. For example I piled up rage for 17eu before Xmas. Was happy enough for brick and mortar shop!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It means that Asian gamers will Ussually be way better then you ever be. There are so many hardcore games with extreme challenge and skill cap they enjoy and have no problem playing. Alot of those games are not even ported to eu or us.

In short: Asian gamers are better at games then non Asians.

It's a steriotipe, but I really don't think they angry about it. It's like black people having biggest gentleman sausages :).

It's not a stereotype, it's bull****. Asian gamers aren't any better than a westerner. Just because Starcraft really took off in Korea doesn't mean Koreans are naturally better than everyone else, it's because Korea has the best online infrastructure of any country and could support online gaming. Also Asian gamers being better at bullet hell and fighters has nothing to do with natural ability, it's because there's still a vibrant arcade scene over there that allows for a lot of competitive competition.

Why aren't asians tearing it up in the FPS scene? Because they don't usually play them, not because westerners are naturally better.

If more people had the good sense to watch the excellent Game Centre CX (subbed episodes on youtube) they'll see that japans biggest gaming celebrity is a normal person who is equally as crap at games as the rest of us.

I'd like to add that the difficulty of Dark Souls is blown way out of proportion by some people and particulatly the press. There's a bit of skill involved but most of all it takes patience.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's not a stereotype, it's bull****. Asian gamers aren't any better than a westerner. Just because Starcraft really took off in Korea doesn't mean Koreans are naturally better than everyone else, it's because Korea has the best online infrastructure of any country and could support online gaming. Also Asian gamers being better at bullet hell and fighters has nothing to do with natural ability, it's because there's still a vibrant arcade scene over there that allows for a lot of competitive competition.

Why aren't asians tearing it up in the FPS scene? Because they don't usually play them, not because westerners are naturally better.

If more people had the good sense to watch the excellent Game Centre CX (subbed episodes on youtube) they'll see that japans biggest gaming celebrity is a normal person who is equally as crap at games as the rest of us.

I'd like to add that the difficulty of Dark Souls is blown way out of proportion by some people and particulatly the press. There's a bit of skill involved but most of all it takes patience.

emmmm stereotype = bull****. thats what it is lol. Same as irish = drunk.

most of the time when that sort of stuff used: "but if it demands near-Japanese skills to play", gamers will know its more piss taking or just saying its HARD, in cheeky funny way. If someone will take it as racist or insulting then i will lose all faith in human kind...

i see someone got out of bed on wrong foot or did not got morning gigidi! :D

Sports games - people buy these religiously every single year and I just cannot understand it! It's essentially the same game all the time but with improved graphics.

MMOROGs - I have nothing against these games, as such, but I just know that if I were to try playing them then I'd basically be saying goodbye to my life entirely.

Simulation (excluding Sim City(s), Theme Park, etc.) - if I'm playing a game I don't want every little thing to be realistic. If I wanted that, I'd go learn how to do it in real life. When I'm playing a game, it's to escape from reality, not to rush back to it.

JRPGs - I admit that I likely have been playing the wrong ones, but I have yet to find one I like - (I'm basing this solely on the ones I've played) - while they're visually impressive, they seem to be mostly childish, a lot of them require turn-based combat, which would instantly put me off a game. Yes, I realize there's a skill and a technique, but I just lack the patience required.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

JRPG's for me too for all of the above reasons.
    Im big into immersion and like an RPG to allow me to do what I want to do and when I want to do it, in realtime. I like them grounded in some sort of believable reality, or alternate reality. Todd Howard of Bethesda was saying this is a Skyrim production video that he feels this way about JRPG's. They are high, high fantasy and stylistically way over the top going far beyond what could be called any sort of credible game world. They are a more directed experience where the designer wants to tell you the character's story as he sees it, rather than letting you create your own narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭ionapaul

chin_grin wrote: »
    Or metacritic. Although again it's hard to tell if they're the ones that would poopoo a game just because it'd be "cool" to do so.
    Yep, I only buy games after checking out the reviews on Metacritic and elsewhere, I just can't buy on a whim at all. I do wonder which 'hidden gems' I've missed as a result, I'm sure there are some great but unappreciated or recognised games out there, games that I'd enjoy but most people don't.

• Advertisement

I think a lot of people when theytalk about JRPGs only consider Square Enix and a lot of the criticisms of JRPGs only really hold true for the latest Square Enix games. Their games are very linear to the point of stupidity and the outlandish designs are made to appeal to the Shibuya teen style that is popular in japan. however outside of square enix it's very different. The themes and locations are usually alot more grounded although stray away from the fantasy and sci-fi tropes that western RPGs fall into. Mostly the story is linear but I find themfar more satisfying than most western RPGs. Also stuff like the Shin Megami Tensei and Persona game do give the player some narrative freedom, more so in SMT. I think Todd Howards only experience with JRPGs is Final Fantasy.

The boring star wars/tolkien setting of nearly all WRPGs was what put me off them for a long while. I couldn't stand them and Oblivion really drove me away with how boring it was. WRPGs were a genre I'd actively avoid but I've since come around to them. However the ones I'm really interested in are the ones that don't have the usually RPG trope settings such as Fallout, System Shock, Deus Ex and Planescape Torment.

Advertisement