Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My top 5 *genres I wouldnt pick up on a whim*

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As for my own genres I'd avoid:

Sports games:

Just don't see the point in them. They feel really random and clunky and tbh I'd rather be outside playing the game than playing a videogame. There is an excpetion though and it's over the top sports games. I love stuff like Speedball or NBA Jam because they don't try to emulate the sport and fail miserably. Instead they take the rules of a sport and bend them so the end product is a good videogame and not a poor facsimile of the real thing.

Racing games:

Just like K.O. Kiki I can't stand the Gran Turismo 'Pokemon with cars' formula of 'realistic' racing games. Why would I want to pretend drive a car with realistic physics when I have a Clio outside my house. Even the supercars are boring. I much prefer the arcade racers with silly physics. I'd much rather be doing 1000+ kph in a floating vehicle in F-zero or taking a corner totally sideways in Ridge Racer than trying to hold a racing line while piddling around the track in a car I couldactually afford to buy.

Military simulation games:

Just don't get hardcore military sims. I can see the appeal but they aren't for me. It's basically taking a course in how to fly a piece of complicated military technology, too much work for me.

Games that don't end:

Stiff like Civilisation and the old version of Minecraft. It's not because I don't like them but I've too many games to play so when I play something I like to know that whenI beat it I can put it away forever and move on. Probably whyI don't like multiplayer either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I didn't think a flippant stereotypical comment like that would have brought up a bit of a debate!? No offence intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

RTS games: "Ok, I'll send this guy over here to attack them...oh wait, that guy over there is getting attacked...hey why is this guy here, I thought I sent him over there...****, my base is being attacked...crap, I meant to build more of that other kind of unit...how do I have so few resources...how did the enemy get rocket launchers already??!!!...****, that guy's being attacked again...ahhh bollocks, my HQ!!!" *quits game*

Generic Western RPGS: "You must use the dragonblade to seal the mystic gate and save our world from the orc horde" *Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*

Racing games: Realistic physics, so what? It's still nothing like driving a car.

Life-simulations: The only fun thing about The Sims was watching them piss themselves...oh, and making unlikely gay couples. Harvest Moon and the rest are all boring too.

Online games: Playing with random strangers....Nooooooooooooo!!! I'm watching in horror as less and less effort is expended on the single-player modes of new titles so they can concentrate on multiplayer. As if everyone just wants to play against randomers on the internet. Actually, about the only encouraging news I've heard about the Wii U is that it doesn't seem likely to have its own answer to Xbox Live (but I seem to be in a minority who don't want that!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I'd imagine RPG's/RTS and MMO's are the big ones you wouldn't really buy on a whim. There have been so many poor wow clones over the years that really you need to do some research before or at least look at some reviews before buying a new MMO. I bought LOTR:O / Warhammer / Conan etc on a whim and probably played them for less than 10 hours total, complete waste.

RTS games are probably another one that'll catch ya out since they vary so much in terms of how deep the combat/economy system is.. personally i perfer the more pick up and play type.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I like FFVIII. Yes, the battle system is annoyingly confusing at first but once you get the hang of it, it gets quite enjoyable imo.

Agreed Squall and most of the other characters are shocking twats but I still enjoyed the world and the general look of the game. I'd be lying if I said nostalgia wasn't a factor in this in fairness, but I still play it on my PSP, probably far more than any other FF I have.

A remake with emphasis on making the characters likeable (haven't a clue how they'd manage that tbh) could be good. Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles seemed to manage this with the abomination that was Steve Burnside, he was still a bit of a douche but tolerable at least compared to the original Code Veronica version of him.

The battle/level up system from FFX (even though I despised everything else about the game) or FFVII would be class for an FFVIII remake, that's just me though.

I love Skyrim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

-City Simulations: Simcity, CitiesXL, Tropico, etc. etc. - Spent plenty of time with these types of games in the past but they just aren't that appealing anymore. I have all 3 in Steam and haven't really played them. Such a waste. Always have to figure out a whole new economy system and nowadays if you don't get everything absolutely batsh*t perfect the entire complex falls apart - Simcity 4 is a notorious example. I just want to build awesome sh*t, and you're not letting me!

-Strategy Games: Command and Conquer, Civilization, Rise of Nations, etc. - So much hit and miss in here I can barely begin to describe it. Let's take Rise of Nations for example. That game was great, it was like Age of Empires but had a fantastic blend between peaceful building and organized combat. Then you had Rise of Legends, which I see on a shelf, snatch up, get it home and ask WTF happened to half of the entire fricken game and where is the free-roaming world domination mode??? Don't even start me on the C&C series - so much has changed since Red Alert 1.

-First Person Shooters: seriously. This needs no explanation. There are way too many piss poor quality shooters out there that you cant just grab one and expect it to be worth your while anymore.

-MMOs: Eve ruined space for me. And I will never forgive it. WoW ruined my asscheeks.

-Sandbox Games: Saints Row, GTA, - frankly, I like games that end.

Advertisement