Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cave to refocus on social games

Options
  • 11-01-2012 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭

In a move that will sadden many, including most of the Arcade & Retro forum regulars, Cave have announced that due to poor sales of their recent tiles they're going to refocusing their resources on social games.

I've only really gotten into shmups this generation but have found Cave's offerings to be utterly fantastic. Certainly a pity to see them go down this route but hopefully if they find success they'll be about to come back to the genre in the future.

From a western perspective I must say I did find their release strategy to be odd though. To say their target market is niche is putting it mildly so I would have assumed that rather than going through the hassle of boxed releases they would have aimed for digital releases of their titles. Of course, Guwange (and to a lesser extent, the mental Nin2-Jump) did see such releases so perhaps it's safe to assume sales of those titles were less than stellar also. Given their status as a Japanese developer the lack of PC releases is relatively unsurprising however with the move to social games perhaps this will chance when they eventually revisit the genre.

Hard times force Cave to refocus on social games

Advertisement