Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Work in Calgary, Canada

Options
  • 11-01-2012 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I have seen a few posts up on people moving to /already in Calgary.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience working for the oil companies over there?

I just graduated last May in Construction Management and Engineering and am looking at travelling to Calgary to start work in the oil business. Should be arriving mid Feb just waiting on getting the visa sorted. My plan is to get some bar work when I arrive and then focus on getting a good oil drilling job.

Anyone planning on doing the same or already doing similar?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 hjoeboy

EmeraldMan wrote: »
    I have seen a few posts up on people moving to /already in Calgary.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience working for the oil companies over there?

I just graduated last May in Construction Management and Engineering and am looking at travelling to Calgary to start work in the oil business. Should be arriving mid Feb just waiting on getting the visa sorted. My plan is to get some bar work when I arrive and then focus on getting a good oil drilling job.

Anyone planning on doing the same or already doing similar?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

I plan on doing the same in Aug/Sept. Currently finishing my degree.

How easy is it to get bar work over there? Do you know if you were working in the oil industry, would you be based in a remote location? Is there many other engineering related jobs over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 EmeraldMan

What’s your degree in?

To be honest I cant really answer any of questions with any first hand knowledge hence my original post. From the research I have done though the place seems like it would have a lot of engineering work going and in particular work in the oil industry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgary

From what I have heard and read it seems like although it has slowed down a bit the economy is still very good over there.

As for Bar work I think that is more down to your social skills and if you have any bar experience. Plus being Irish couldn’t hurt your chances.

I should be landing mid Feb so Ill post up how I get on and any advice I can pass back to you I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

Why Calgary?

When i went to university i spent my summer holidays at Cold Lake oil sands
    had the time of my life and funded my flying as well.

Honestly, if you looking for oil work i believe you should wait until thaw sets in say easter, it's real cold over there now.

Anyway...way back when...i got 10CAN an hour 45CAN if you got rained off as you didn't get paid otherwise due weather.

I reckon head further north to Edmonton

Cool, good to hear you had a fun time.

Calgary is just my working plan at the moment, easy place to land and set up for a week or two. If the jobs are somewhere else Ill travel. I am kind of keen to stay in a city for a while to make some friends and wait for it to get a bit warmer.

I also seen Calgary has over 1600 Oil Company Offices so figured it was the place to be to make contacts. Ill check out the Cold Lake Oil sands as well. Sounds cold though! What sort of work were you doing and how did you find the work environment over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

EmeraldMan wrote: »
    Cool, good to hear you had a fun time.

Calgary is just my working plan at the moment, easy place to land and set up for a week or two. If the jobs are somewhere else Ill travel. I am kind of keen to stay in a city for a while to make some friends and wait for it to get a bit warmer.

I also seen Calgary has over 1600 Oil Company Offices so figured it was the place to be to make contacts. Ill check out the Cold Lake Oil sands as well. Sounds cold though! What sort of work were you doing and how did you find the work environment over there?

Yep either Calgary / Edmonton is fine, Edmonton a lot colder though

I was working as a labourer on a pipeline doing everything, shuttering etc you name it i did it. only suggestion stay away from being a welders mate at all costs one of the worst jobs in the world:(

Overall, work environment was very easy to settle into, don't waste your time by sending out loads of CVs speculatively, like here go to the office and ask them for a job, have your CV with you and they will check it!!!

You're educated try and pick a large company, be prepared to start at the bottom you'll do just fine if you're prepared to work.

Jobs in the service industry should be easily got to keep you going before you get set up

found this link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO3Iv5ehoBQ

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Heading to Calgary in September myself lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Heading to Calgary in September myself lads.

I'll be there in March :P

De_man wrote: »
    Overall, work environment was very easy to settle into, don't waste your time by sending out loads of CVs speculatively, like here go to the office and ask them for a job, have your CV with you and they will check it!!!

You're educated try and pick a large company, be prepared to start at the bottom you'll do just fine if you're prepared to work.

Thanks man, sounds good. This is my plan alright. I have set up a linkin and have been sending out a lot of CVs but figured this was the case.

I am not looking that foward to the cold but other than that really excited for a fresh start in country that I dont really know much about. Kind of wanted to go somewhere other than Australia and the US.

Can't wait!

Tonto86 wrote: »

There seems to be a rake of pubs in Calgary compared to other Canadian cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

There seems to be a rake of pubs in Calgary compared to other Canadian cities.

This a good or bad thing?

• Advertisement

This a good or bad thing?

A very good thing in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hickeydermot

Hi guys I have no degree or experience with the Oil Field.

But I heard off a Canadian friend there are jobs going in Calgary driving from Oil Field to Oil Field. Reading meters and so forth he described it similar to a gas meter reader.

He said the pay was great but the hours were long and boring ( driving mostly)

Has anyone experience with such a job and would it be possible for someone like me without the experience to get a crack at a job like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 davy wavy

hi lads moving to calgary next month just wondering hows yous are getting on over there. what is rent?is it as boring as they make out? i am sparks looks like there is plenty of work

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

Hey,

I'm also thinking of moving to Calgary later in the year. I'm about to finish a civil/structural engineering degree (fingers crossed i pass my exams) and was thinking about doing some unpaid work experience over the summer in Ireland then heading over in September after graduating.

Is it stupid to head there at the beginning of winter? I'm thinking maybe get a job in a bar/restaurant (no experience tho :S) over winter, maybe do some study on the Canadian building codes, and just apply for whatever i can come spring time.

Is €1000 enough to last until finding a steady job? Also are there many entry level jobs in engineering? I don't mind starting at the very bottom and working my way up. Can't wait to finish this degree and get outta this country :D

Advertisement