Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting over varnished cladding.

• 11-01-2012 9:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭

I want to paint over some cladding in our sitting-room. Think 1970's wall of wood with a few years worth of teak varnish over it.

I bought water based vinyl silk paint, cream colour, matt finish.

I was going to sand the wood but other half tells me we'll never get rid of the dust and we have a baby on the way very some.

Is there a primer I can just paint straight onto the varnished wood?

Whats the easiest way to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,150 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We had horrible very dark varnish on all the downstairs doorframes when we moved in. We painted them white and it really brightened up the place. I just sanded them enough to take the gloss off (still plenty of varnish visible), wiped with a slightly damp cloth and then a tack cloth to get the dust off, and painted with two coats of satinwood paint.

Teak oil could be a different story though. Is there a small area you could try? Maybe wipe with white spirit (very smelly :( ) before a light sanding then paint?

Dust is an annoyance when sanding but it helps a lot if you have a vacuum cleaner hooked up to the sander - don't sand off more than you need to - wear a dust mask - put down newspaper or plastic sheets on the floor - wipe down the sanded surfaces afterwards, throw out the dust sheets, and ventilate the area. Plaster dust is the worst, we had lots as we had to get the whole house rewired and a couple of rooms replastered.

Tbh you will have enough on your plate soon enough so maybe come back to this in a few months? I would keep a baby out of an area that had been sanded until I was happy it was entirely cleared up and not still floating around, and if you use any solvents you should ventilate really well afterwards and ideally keep kids out of that room for a day or two.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭makita

you can get super primer which is more sticky than normal primer its made to go on smooth surfaces such as laminate timber products or tiles. i used it recently on varnished timber and worked out a treat with 1 coat of satinwood after it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

@ninja900, I think its teak coloured varnish, going by the ancient tins in the shed. Fair play to you sanding and re-painting the door frames, what a crappy job. We're the same the room is really dark, so a lighter wall would make a brighter room.

I'd love to leave it till after baby is here, but I have a compulsion!

@makita, any names of possible products, the big issue would be the price, but as its only 1 wall, we might be able to strech to it.

Some thing like this:
    http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/paint/exterior-paint/exterior_gloss/-specificproducttype-ronseal/Ronseal-Super-Flexible-Wood-Primer-and-Undercoat-White-750ml-11348532

actually, that says its exterior paint

or this:
    http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=646878

would this be strong enough?
    could i get away with no sanding at all, just a clean down?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭makita

Its called dulux trade super grip

Advertisement