Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polish speaking???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

hey guys i work in a shop where there are a few polish people working there and constanly all they do is talk in their own language even when im around i think its very ignortant and ive bought it up wit management but nothing is done about it. it is stated that english should be spoken when on the shop floor in our staff handbook and clocked into work..... is there anything else i can do??? one of the supervisors is polish also and shes also at it i find it very downgrading as i dunno what they are saying and there is only 2more irish girls working there as wel find it rude......customers have even started complaining about it im at my wits end where im gunna snap if i have to listen to it anymore :mad: im not racist or have anything against them either :) thanks guys xxxx

It's not too bad, because at least you're Irish in Ireland. Where is it stated that English should be spoken on the shop floor? If it's for speaking with customers, speaking Polish is clearly a big NO. If it's between members of staff, any language can be permitted. In other EU countries, it's quite common to hear several languages being spoken between members of staff. One example is in Holland

I'm Ukrainian, and I was also working with Polish people who constantly spoke their language. So when I was speaking Russian over the phone, the Polish supervisor lady was clearly not happy with me! I had it worse, so I advise you to stick it out and treat all your co-workers well.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

dlofnep wrote: »
    I worked for a large multinational, and worked alongside a range of different nationalities. They all made the effort to speak English when anyone else was around .....

Yeah I've worked for large multinationals in China, even there it was considered common professional courtesy to speak English when among English speakers who didn't understand Chinese.
    -
    Before some argue why should they be expected to have solid English for use in a Chinese workplace bear in mind that English is the international language of business and without it they wouldn't have even had their foot in the door for an interview in a company like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

dlofnep wrote: »
    I worked for a large multinational, and worked alongside a range of different nationalities. They all made the effort to speak English when anyone else was around, and obviously spoke their native tongues on their breaks/lunch (which is normal and fine). Likewise, I had two friends in the same company, that I spoke Irish to - but any time a non-Irish speaker was around, we always spoke English out of courtesy. It would be rude if we were to speak Irish when some Polish lad was working alongside us.

This isn't an issue of nationality, or race. It's an issue of convention and common courtesy. Work should be inclusive. What the guys in this store are doing is disrespectful, and displays an unwillingness to integrate into their host nation. I don't think the OP is racist for addressing it, and I think it's unfair to label them as such.

Good post I am Swedish and also work in a multinational company, in the majority of cases this behaviour would be frowned upon among my fellow countrymen and non-national co-workers.

In my experience it’s mostly East Europeans who have this attitude problem especially Polish people. It’s bad manners and says more about their character than anything else. As a customer if I want to hear Polish shouted across a shop floor then I will live in Poland.

This is bullying behaviour towards an Irish person, what would happen if it were the other way round and Irish people continued to speak in Irish while working in Poland?

Europe is now open to people from the accession countries so if you have a problem respecting your co-workers or Irish customers then they should live elsewhere imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

What industry is the OP in , as I have ever heard of any company that would have a rule that you must speak English at all times or must times in any work handbook. I have worked in big American Multinationals companies previously where we had a lot of different nationalties and this was never in the handbook and also in small Irish companies. Must say I got a laugh out of people saying the OP should maybe speak Irish, yeah like Irish people can speak Irish!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Inclusion

Chinasea wrote: »
    Perhaps if you tried not to keep telling yourself it is a problem (which it isn't) than it won't be. Perhaps if you tried to make friends with them as opposed to being offended by them then you would find a much better response.

Most importantly has it not dawned on you that they are picking up your 'pissed off bout the too many foreigners working in my country all speaking their funny language vibe' that you are generating.

Ireland has been, and still is such an insular country. If you were to go and live in any other country that has many different immigrants i.e. USA, you would find it part and parcel of multinational living which, astonishingly we the Irish are the Master race at. Yet so many Irish still find it so alien when it lands on our own doorstep – even might I add, as alien as the concept of my response to you which is where the problem is.
    Bit harsh Chinasea but I know where you're coming from - myself, I absolutely adore the sound of the Polish language - it is so foreign sounding but mesmerising and romantic too , and having taken time to get to know some Polish people they have a wonderful sense of the outdoors and love living in Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

Rafa1977 wrote: »
    What industry is the OP in , as I have ever heard of any company that would have a rule that you must speak English at all times or must times in any work handbook. I have worked in big American Multinationals companies previously where we had a lot of different nationalties and this was never in the handbook and also in small Irish companies. Must say I got a laugh out of people saying the OP should maybe speak Irish, yeah like Irish people can speak Irish!!!

I am Swedish and speak Irish and know plenty of Irish people who can also speak Irish. You should never judge people based on your limitations. If you can’t speak your national language that does not mean others can’t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Must say I got a laugh out of people saying the OP should maybe speak Irish, yeah like Irish people can speak Irish!!!

Don't laugh at your own inabilities. I can speak Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

SWL wrote: »
    I am Swedish and speak Irish and know plenty of Irish people who can also speak Irish. You should never judge people based on your limitations. If you can’t speak your national language that does not mean others can’t.

Sorry, don't recall saying I was unable to speak Irish. I love the language and a very proud of the language and the fact that I am fluent, unlike so many, that is not an opinion, it is fact that very few Irish people are fluent.

Wow lots of people in this thread are fluent in Irish.
    That's great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

Lanaier wrote: »
    Wow lots of people in this thread are fluent in Irish.
    That's great.

Surprising, isn't it? :D

• Advertisement

<Way off topic>
    I just checked your profile and as I suspected it IS from the Type O Negative song.
    :D
    Recently happened to listen to October Rust and Bloody Kisses for the first time in about 10 years, great stuff.

Saw them years ago, late 90's I think, SFX maybe?
    Was brilliant.

Sucks that he died.
    </Way off topic>

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What industry is the OP in , as I have ever heard of any company that would have a rule that you must speak English at all times or must times in any work handbook. I have worked in big American Multinationals companies previously where we had a lot of different nationalties and this was never in the handbook and also in small Irish companies.

The OP's post says they work in a shop.

When I worked in Maccas (25 years ago!), we applied the "English during work time, whatever you like on your break" policy pretty harshly. I don't know if it was actually written in the ops-manual, but we certainly told people it was.

Here, I'd expect the large retailers to have "English or Irish only" in their rule books.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

First off good for you for highlighting what is a very common problem, i've seen this same behaviour all too often on building sites myself and in shops where i the customer is treated with contempt by these immigrants. I hit them back two ways, i hit them with Irish and with my full on Belfast accent. I know they're talking about me and my workmates when all they have to do is talk with us not about us in our faces. They're ignorant ****ers these Eastern Europeans. They have something to prove and we're the last people anyone should try to prove themselves against.

Do not post in this thread again, or this forum if you're going to come out with ignorant crap like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

First off good for you for highlighting what is a very common problem, i've seen this same behaviour all too often on building sites myself and in shops where i the customer is treated with contempt by these immigrants. I hit them back two ways, i hit them with Irish and with my full on Belfast accent. I know they're talking about me and my workmates when all they have to do is talk with us not about us in our faces. They're ignorant ****ers these Eastern Europeans. They have something to prove and we're the last people anyone should try to prove themselves against.

You sir are a racist.

I work in a place with Chinese, Polish, Hungarian and Czech people. I have no problem with them conversing in their own language, because I know when I talk to other Irish people, they probably don't understand everything I'm saying, either.
    I say get over yourself and let them talk in their own language. If they REFUSE to talk to you, then there's a problem. How about trying to chat with them as well? If you maintain this attitude at work it's no wonder they turn to their own for conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Hi . I was getting upset with the same problem where I work.

I found them talking over me and ignoring the fact that I was there. Some people are just assholes like that regardless of where they are from.
    But . I started doing an online course on Polish and now find myself listening hard to what they are saying. They know I am learning it and notice me listening. They dont like it one bit. But I find myself learning loads. Im picking up a few subjects that they are taking about. In six months I think I may understand most of it. Im enjoying the learning process.

Give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Chinasea wrote: »
    As I said if they were speaking Irish then I very much doubt if the OP would have a problem.

Regarding the customers complaining - I'd say that might be a little exaggerated, and in the cases it represents; it will be made by those of similar ilk to the OP.

Looking at the poor English grammar and spelling by the OP, I think it interesting that they balk at someone not speaking 'English' in their presence.

You jumped to racism very quickly ,and then started making up fake scenarios about Irish been spoke and attributing a response that the op would make to this new false scenario that contradicts their initial response.

I am going to make some jumps of my own, your posts are similar to somebody trolling the OP.
    Your posts are full of faux liberalism and an unjustified sense of superiority.
    You have made no attempt to answer the ops question but instead have created a cause for you to rally against.
    I suspect he who cries racism so early could be a racist themselves ,classic misdirection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Many multinationals I have worked in have specified a language for business.I have seen people reprimanded for using a mother tongue to converse during the work day, So it is not unusual for this to be company policy.

One such company was based in France and the business language was English.

I would go to management and ask them to re-iterate the policy to employees.I would ask one or two politely to translate what they said for you and this might help get the message across.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Many multinationals I have worked in have specified a language for business.I have seen people reprimanded for using a mother tongue to converse during the work day, So it is not unusual for this to be company policy.

One such company was based in France and the business language was English.

I would go to management and ask them to re-iterate the policy to employees.I would ask one or two politely to translate what they said for you and this might help get the message across.

Having worked at the head quarters of 5 multinationals here in Europe over the past 20 years and I have yet to find one that did not encourage diversity when it comes to working languages, the only firm rule was that all documents must be in US English and when they say US they really mean it! None of the companies were American by the way.

brokenarms wrote: »
    Hi . I was getting upset with the same problem where I work.

I found them talking over me and ignoring the fact that I was there. Some people are just assholes like that regardless of where they are from.
    But . I started doing an online course on Polish and now find myself listening hard to what they are saying. They know I am learning it and notice me listening. They dont like it one bit. But I find myself learning loads. Im picking up a few subjects that they are taking about. In six months I think I may understand most of it. Im enjoying the learning process.

Give it a go.

Good idea! It is always much easier to pick up a language if you are hearing it every day than if you are only hearing it in class a couple of times a week. And as you say, I would agree that you should reach about A2 level in six months. Which is a good working knowledge of the language.

And of course the more languages you know the easier it is to add a new language as well.

I'm always impressed by the Irish truck drivers, I sometimes meet out here (Switzerland) and the fact that most of them can speak basic French, German and often one or two others as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

You jumped to racism very quickly ,and then started making up fake scenarios about Irish been spoke and attributing a response that the op would make to this new false scenario that contradicts their initial response.

I am going to make some jumps of my own, your posts are similar to somebody trolling the OP.
    Your posts are full of faux liberalism and an unjustified sense of superiority.
    You have made no attempt to answer the ops question but instead have created a cause for you to rally against.
    I suspect he who cries racism so early could be a racist themselves ,classic misdirection.

Agree with you here Bandana. It is strange how any criticism what so ever of a foreign person in Ireland sparks so much inward fury to the point where they want to make up strange scenarios and call racism. And even attack a pointless issue of internet grammar.(grasping at straws).

One of my best mates is Polish . He will not get into full conversations in his language in front of me if possible . Why. I guess he would consider it a little rude to exclude me . I don't mind, but when it is for 40 hours a week at work, its easy to see how it can upset others around you.
    I think this may be a problem with basic manners and not a foreign prejudice matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

I used work in a pretty large factory where us the Irish were in the majority. Polish was generally spoken (along with French, Portugesse, Lithuanian, Latvian and of course a small bit of English) It didn't bother me a few people learned polish so they could communicate - why don't you?

Lots of the Polish didn't know English why would I force them to learn it? Those who did would translate if I asked them.

I think I got on better with my fellow workers as I didn't speak the language so I sued always have to ask for a translation if everyone around me was laughing.

It's their language they are entitled to speak it, leave them off. Make an effort to talk to them, don't give out that they don't talk to you, if you don't try and talk to them.

Learn Polish, it could be a bit of craic. Many of the Poles I work with learned a splattering of Irish (for their children in school) so I used chat with them through Irish. There was also a group who knew French and sure I studied French in school and I used give French a bash as a way to chat with my fellow workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Is it even safe to have people who can't speak English in a factory?
    Even if it's as simple as packing boxes and no operating machinery is required

Safety signs explain themselves but what if you've to let a roar to watch for the forklift behind them

Or IPA is 70% alcohol so mind themselves before they open that drum. You need to find their friend first to explain this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

ADMINS CAN YE PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD I POSTED THIS OVER YEAR AGO IVE SINCE LEARNED POLISH AND AM NOW FLUENT IN POLISH,SPANISH,IRISH AND ENGLISH I JUST SPAEK ENGLISH THO TO CUSTOMERS:p ALSO I FEEL MORE INCLUDED THEY ACTUALY HELPED ME LEARN IT THANKS ALL FOR YE ADVICE :D

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Is it even safe to have people who can't speak English in a factory?
    Even if it's as simple as packing boxes and no operating machinery is required

Safety signs explain themselves but what if you've to let a roar to watch for the forklift behind them

Or IPA is 70% alcohol so mind themselves before they open that drum. You need to find their friend first to explain this?

This is the same situation all over Europe - in German factories you'll find many people only speak Turkish and in Switzerland it is Servo-Croat and so on...

It is up to the factory owners to ensure that staff have been properly instructed in how to deal with the hazards in their workplace and that should mean having someone instruct them in their native language at the out set. Regardless of language issues, employees should not be discovering the dangers as they do the job!

And even with people who have a good command of the language, I would not assume that they understand everything you say. There are so many different ways of saying the same thing. Most factory workers can be expected to reach A2 level in the local language, which is acceptable, but that is a long way short of the C2 level required to go to university.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I worked a 9 month contract in a factory a few years ago.. I'd find myself in company, them speaking away , mostly polish..

It never really bothered me but I used a trick my brother passed on...

Sitting having lunch and the usual, Polish chatter would start, there could be anything being said and to be honest I could care less... I'd eat away and chat to some if they were around as their english was good.. However, I found they didn't like it much when I'd smile or make a dry laugh, just when they were all laughing.. Few times I was asked afterwards did I understand Polish and I'd just pass it off saying its an easy enough language to pick up.. I noticed it happened less and less afterwards, maybe they just thought I was mad or maybe they weren't just sure if I knew what was being said, again I didn't care either way..

Personally I could care less... on the factory floor it was 90% Polish spoken and to be honest it resulted in fewer problems, mistakes and broken equipment so it made my life easier...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭HTML5!

ADMINS CAN YE PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD I POSTED THIS OVER YEAR AGO IVE SINCE LEARNED POLISH AND AM NOW FLUENT IN POLISH,SPANISH,IRISH AND ENGLISH I JUST SPAEK ENGLISH THO TO CUSTOMERS:p ALSO I FEEL MORE INCLUDED THEY ACTUALY HELPED ME LEARN IT THANKS ALL FOR YE ADVICE :D

To be frank, I dont' think the answer is 'learn Polish'.

You shouldn't have to learn another language in your own country! They should give you the courtesy of speaking English while in the work place.

By all means learn it if you're friendly with them outside work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

It's particularly infuriating, as you know if there were a number of Irish people based in a non-English speaking country they would never converse in anything other than the local dialect.

Obviously the best thing to do in this situation is to raise the issue with management. Discussing the matter with your co-workers first would be madness.

HTML5! wrote: »
    You shouldn't have to learn another language in your own country! They should give you the courtesy of speaking English while in the work place.

If they are talking among themselves, I see absolutely no reason why they should not do it in their own language, it's a private conversation if you want to listen in, learn the language!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

It's particularly infuriating, as you know if there were a number of Irish people based in a non-English speaking country they would never converse in anything other than the local dialect.

Having worked with a number of Irish people in a non-English speaking country I can say that, in my experience, that's not true. We used to speak in English amongst ourselves, speaking to someone who completely understood you and not having to worry about grammar/vocabulary/pronunciation was like crack to us

Advertisement