Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You're so vain - am I missing something?

Options
  • 11-01-2012 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Carli Simon - Youre so vain

Heard this ridiculous song for the hundreth time. Annoys me every time I hear it!

Who the hell else is the song about other than the person who is supposedly so vain :pac: :pac: :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Carli Simon - Youre so vain

Heard this ridiculous song for the hundreth time. Annoys me every time I hear it!

Who the hell else is the song about other than the person who is supposedly so vain :pac: :pac: :pac:

To each their own, but I quite like it. I doubt if many, besides your good self care too much as to who it's about. There's a LOT worse out there. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

I know what you are saying, its just a bug bear of mine, you know when things get under your skin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Yeah, I agree with you, the whole 'you're so vain you probably think this song is about you' line is extremely stupid when you think about it - the guy it's aimed is made to feel doubly vain if he thinks that the song, that is about him, is actually about him. It becomes a bit annoying when you start thinking about that angle.

There's several theories as to who it could be, David Geffen, Warren Beatty and Mick Jagger (who does backing vocals on the song) amongst others but she's never revealed who it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

Rigsby wrote: »
    To each their own, but I quite like it. I doubt if many, besides your good self care too much as to who it's about. There's a LOT worse out there. ;)

I'm not convinced much worse out there apart from that guy who has to write a classic in the attic. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I think it's a great song so there ya go really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

the guy it's aimed is made to feel doubly vain if he thinks that the song, that is about him, is actually about him.

That's what makes it so fiendishly clever

It's like if I ask you "Are you in denial?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Its supposed to be about Warren Beatty, but that could be rubbish.

EDIT: couuld be a few people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

I liked the song from the first time I heard it in early 1973.

Many people look into a mirror and do as the song says.

I think the person referred to in the song is Danny Armstrong, who she had just broken up with before writing the song.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I suppose it's meant to be obvious irony. Could be used as an exhibit of how women don't always make sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

It's an awesome song - played it this morning thanks to this thread! Cheers op

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

There's several theories as to who it could be, David Geffen, Warren Beatty and Mick Jagger (who does backing vocals on the song) amongst others but she's never revealed who it is.

She did actually, to a guy who won a charity auction in 2003 (for $50,000).
    One of the conditions was that he was not to reveal the answer to anyone else though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I'm not convinced much worse out there

:eek:

You ARE joking.......are n't you ????

BTW, how does not knowing who the song is written about, make it bad ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Sinfonia wrote: »
    It's like if I ask you "Are you in denial?"

No, I'm in the Danube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Love this song also, good read about it on wikki

Id hazzard a guess its about warren beatty too but she would not admit it and doubt she ever will.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You're_So_Vain

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

I'd hazard a guess that the line means that the person in question is that vain that even without being named specifically they automatically assume the song is aimed at them. The chorus becomes a reflection on the verse. The subject of the verse is the kind of person who thinks that people would write songs about them. I always thought that was kind of obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

The QOTSA adaptation is pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I think it's a savage song and very clever.

Mick Jagger does backing vocals.

Might go listen to it now in fact...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

i had some dreams, they were clouds in my coffee...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I love Carly and the song. I've heard most of the suggestions as to who the subject is.

The song has a lot going for it, a good lyric, a nice driving piano riff, very good solo and some smart rhyming "apr-i-cot" and "gavotte", great singer, great voice and great production. What's not to like?

I dunno if Warren could gavotte outside the bedroom but Mick certainly could back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

I'm not convinced much worse out there

It's a classic. Obviously you haven't heard The Script or any other such drivel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

MarkR wrote: »
    I suppose it's meant to be obvious irony. Could be used as an exhibit of how women don't always make sense!

Posted 4 days ago and you seemed to have got away with it.

I doff my hat to you sir! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

based on the mythology surrounding the song down the years , the only thing we know for sure is that our carly liked to put out and plenty

Advertisement