Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hearing aids or op-what would you do?

Options
  • 11-01-2012 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Not sure if any of you can help but just thought I'd ask anyways. I suffer from osclerosis in both ears that has gotten progressively worse in past 2 years due to 2 pregnancies.
    Have been on a waiting list for nearly 18 months for a hearing aid appointment through the medical card system. Have finally got an appointment through for next week. On one hand I am delighted and on another I am dreading it.
    I am 31 with 2 small kids at home and while I am doing ok in current job-may need to look for a new job later on in the year as company struggling and this is making me have panic attacks as I would just not hear them at interview stage unless I had a hearing aid/op. I am finding my hearing loss very tough so I need to do something.
    Last year I was told to go for a stapedectomy operation and today received an appointment for a hospital in Dublin ENT surgical dept.
    I know most will say I am lucky I have the choice, on the basis that the ops were sucessful that is, and I know that but just want to know has anyone experience with either scenario-ie the op (how it went and was it worth doing) and/or a hearing aid through the medical card system (are they the same as a hearing aid bought privately or are they cheaper and bulkier models?)
    If you have to wear a hearing aid(s) do you need to tell your employer of potential employers? Are you considered as having a disability? I would definately not be much use to anyone new right now the way my hearing is at the minute.
    Any experiences would be gratefully received and thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ejlc

Hi Charlie2505

Am pretty much in the same position as you, but a couple of years on - I have otosclerosis in both ears, and have been using hearing aids for about 13 years now (am 38 now). I was on the list to have stapedectomies in galway, but had to cancel it as I am pregnant again (fourth child). So i cant tell you about the operation, but would interested to know how you get on if you have it - the hearing aids have worked fine for me for the last number of years, although i just made an appointment today to get a new pair, as i think my current ones arent up to the job at all. I would say get a pair of hearing aids anyway, as chances are you might still need them after the operation - as far as i know, sometimes you dont totally get perfect hearing after a stapedectomy, alhtough it should be much improved. If you can get aids free with your medical card - go for it - you will be so amazed at what you have been missing. Also, the doctor in galway told me he woud only do one ear at a time, so you might want a hearing aid for the other ear in the mean time. In my experience, its hit and miss getting hearing aids for otosclerosis - some of the audiologists dont seem to know anything about the condition and dont set the hearing aids up right to begin with - pm me if you want to quiz me anymore. good luck!

Advertisement