Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has my console been hacked?

Options
  • 11-01-2012 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭

xbox.com not working for me

My cousin sends me a message saying "I see you got fifa 12". I don't own fifa and havent turned on the console in days. He said I was online an hour ago. Turned on the xbox and it says I was last signed in from another machine.

Have I been hacked? There's no visa/paypal stuff saved on the account but it has me worried now.

EDIT:
    Spoke to a friend of mine, turns out his account was hacked into last week and he had the same fifa 12 achievements! He had 6000 MS points spent on him but I only had 100 on the account. I'll ring xbox support tomorrow :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

If you have no payment options on the account and very little points there isnt anything they can do really

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Except give you achievements!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Haha yeah I got 4 fifa 12 achievements and they spent 80 out of my whopping 100 points on some gold pack thing. I've reset my password and forced a profile download through xbox.com

I'm more worried about them having my email/password which I've been using for about 7 years now for various places which I'm sure are tied to my bank/visa card :(

Kenny_D wrote: »
    Haha yeah I got 4 fifa 12 achievements and they spent 80 out of my whopping 100 points on some gold pack thing. I've reset my password and forced a profile download through xbox.com

I'm more worried about them having my email/password which I've been using for about 7 years now for various places which I'm sure are tied to my bank/visa card :(

Thats never a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

All this hacking of late has me worried, I don't play FIFA or anything but I do play the odd EA game "when needs must" :P

Is it limited to EA games?

• Advertisement

IMO EA needs to drop Ultimate Team it seems to be the reason people do this

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Meesared wrote: »
    IMO EA needs to drop Ultimate Team it seems to be the reason people do this

Yeah, it's caused nothing but problems for people. It'd work just as well without it.

At OP, you're very lucky to have no credit card details on your account, you could've got scammed big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Rochie IRL

I switched on my xbox and got the message " your console was signed in somewhere else" I then also noticed my MS points drop from well over 4000 to 20. In the purchase history there are 3 items that I didn't purchase "Premium Gold Pack" "Gold Players Premium" "Rare Player Pack". I phoned xbox support and I was asked do I play fifa. I've never played it or owned a fifa game.
    My account is now under investigation and suspended for 30 days so they can see what the problem is. After that I'll be given my points back and the extra sub to xbox live. I was told I'll be given instructions for what to do that will guarantee this sort of thing not happening. The girl was stumped when I asked why isint every xbox live user given this now to stop them from been hacked in the first place.....I was met with silence.

Keep an eye on your points and phone Microsoft support if you get the message you were signed in elsewhere :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

Rochie IRL wrote: »
    I switched on my xbox and got the message " your console was signed in somewhere else" I then also noticed my MS points drop from well over 4000 to 20. In the purchase history there are 3 items that I didn't purchase "Premium Gold Pack" "Gold Players Premium" "Rare Player Pack". I phoned xbox support and I was asked do I play fifa. I've never played it or owned a fifa game.
    My account is now under investigation and suspended for 30 days so they can see what the problem is. After that I'll be given my points back and the extra sub to xbox live. I was told I'll be given instructions for what to do that will guarantee this sort of thing not happening. The girl was stumped when I asked why isint every xbox live user given this now to stop them from been hacked in the first place.....I was met with silence.

Keep an eye on your points and phone Microsoft support if you get the message you were signed in elsewhere :mad:

You should post said instructions here so the rest of us could avoid your fate. :)

If you play any EA games i would use a different password than what you use for Xbox.com

• Advertisement

Meesared wrote: »
    If you play any EA games i would use a different password than what you use for Xbox.com

I don't play EA games at all and for this sort of reason. Thay have always had a hint Loreal is it worth it.

I don't play EA games at all and for this sort of reason. Thay have always had a hint Loreal is it worth it.

The only EA game that i'd ever play is mass effect. I don't trust them one bit.

The only EA game that i'd ever play is mass effect. I don't trust them one bit.

Thats why I gave the warning to keep an eye on your points. It looks like even avoiding EA might not be enough. I'll report back with Microsofts findings.

Thats why I gave the warning to keep an eye on your points. It looks like even avoiding EA might not be enough. I'll report back with Microsofts findings.

Please do, i never keep many points on my account anyway, i buy them when i need them. And i normally just buy either pre-paid live subs or just get a 3v visa for the account, then that can just expire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

I know its after the fact, but it's extremely bad practice to use the same password for email accounts, then use that same email account/username & password combination for other online services like facebook, linkedin, paypal etc, where you effectively register with that same email address.

I would recommend you change the password for all your other web/online services, and ensure you choose an alternate password to your email account.

If you haven't been scammed by now, the chances are you probably wont be, but better safe than sorry dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Changed all of my passwords last night, email, paypal, xbox etc. It looks like they tried using the password on my email account but as I had changed that password previously I dont think they got in but it looks like they tried to do a password reset on the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

Changed all of my passwords last night, email, paypal, xbox etc. It looks like they tried using the password on my email account but as I had changed that password previously I dont think they got in but it looks like they tried to do a password reset on the account.

Bastads. Good job you reacted quickly and changed all your other important passwords.

Please do, i never keep many points on my account anyway, i buy them when i need them. And i normally just buy either pre-paid live subs or just get a 3v visa for the account, then that can just expire.

I was talking to customer support yesterday and they are finished the investigation, So here is the outcome.
    Microsoft say their system is safe, they are leaving things as they are etc etc, I get a month of xbox live and they only refunded 1200 of my 5480 points taken. They are going to refund the rest after me pointing it out and that will take a few days and then I am back in action. They have banned the gamertag and the console of who done it (or so they said) and are following through with actions for the user.
    I've to change my password when back in action and my gamertag only if I want (they are giving an extra 800 points to do this)

I had seperate passwords and emails etc and the breach still got me so to those who think it is the user problem for having the same email address or easy passwords it's not.

It's weird how they got access to your account so. I seriously doubt that there is an xbox live security breach, it has to be phishing scams.

I doubt it very much if it was a phishing scam. I can't see how it would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Are any of you using WEP encryption on your wireless router? Sounds like it could be that too.

It isnt widespread enough to be a security breach

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

I don't know if any of you have seen this article on Joystiq: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/13/windows-live-login-suggested-as-xbox-live-security-flaw/

Seems to suggest that if you have a password that's easy to brute force, then your account could be gotten in to.

Advertisement