Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Volunteering/charity in UCC?

• 11-01-2012 11:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of the best way to get involved in some kind of charity or volunteering work in UCC? Have a lot of free time, want to increase my self-confidence, I like helping people and also want something put up on my CV.

Any and all ideas welcome, just no religion. :P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 Liona

i know u said no religion but the chaplaincy has a volunteering register and i think there is unreligious stuff on there as well ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Thanks Liona, rough idea as to what kind of volunteering work that would be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Orizio wrote: »
    Anyone know of the best way to get involved in some kind of charity or volunteering work in UCC? Have a lot of free time, want to increase my self-confidence, I like helping people and also want something put up on my CV.

Any and all ideas welcome, just no religion. :P

Could I be as shallow to suggest that you get involved in a charity that is someway associated with that of your career choice.

More specifically if you have a couple of prefered employers you want to work for,have a look at what type of programmes they're involved in and get into something similar.

For example Microsoft are all about global/local health and education you could get involved Oxfam or on the local side there are lots of community outreach programmes that focus on education.

Interviewers like to see charity work and they absolutely lap it up when you've done stuff similar to what they've done themselves.

That didn't occur to me PhatPiggins, excellent advice thanks.

The chaplaincy didn't get back to me, anywhere else I can go? I know I can go outside of UCC but I'd rather to it through the uni if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭pirateninja

What about getting involved with one of the charitable societies in UCC? All of them hold activities throughout the year and you can just turn up at them.

SvDP stand out in my mind as I know they actually work in the Cork community, they offer a grinds service and other services but I'm sure any society would love to have the extra help.

There's a list of societies on Collegeroad.ie so look at them and see if there's any charity that grabs your attention :)

Thanks for all the help anyway lads, decided to try this outside UCC via 'volunteer.ie'. ;)

Advertisement